Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

- - - - -

What Modules do you want for e-Sword

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#441 John Eastham

John Eastham

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationKampala, Uganda

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:29 AM

It might be a RAM issue for your computer, but I'm not hardware savvy.

Have you considered dividing it into two files (one for OT and another for NT)?

John H. Eastham

Kampala, Uganda

#442 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

Hopefully someone can help me, I've spent the last week copying over the Jehovah's Witnesses New World Translation into a proper format with chapter and verse headings as you get in E-sword, because their version online at jw.org is not a good one to use when doing studies because they have stars (*) and the verses are not in order from all left, just repeated one after the other.

The reason I want the NWT is because we like to use their own Bible against them to refute them when we do our online studies, and I post verses and take notes and its almost impossible to do it simultaneously because they just aren't organized as using E-sword for example, where you get chapter and verse heading before every verse.

I spent over a week copying it all and its finished, I've transferred into a PDF format also with hyperlinks to every book/chapter which is excellent, the only problem is it is 1105 pages and Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat need time to load such a huge file and so it freezes intermittently and such, it is very annoying.

If I can have someone put it into a module for me would be GREAT, or if you can lead me somewhere maybe where I can learn how to do it myself if it isn't too hard?  

Please let me know, again I am NOT a Jehovah's Witness, we only use this to refute them, same as when using the Quran to refute Muslims.

First you should know a few things about E-Sword, for starters all modules are created using Rich Text Format or RTF for short. E-Sword's module creation program which is called ToolTip NT it can open RTF format files, text files and MS-Word Files but not Adobe PDF files. So your PDF file is not really necessary for module creation. The size of the document 1105 pages is actually pretty common for a bible translation in MS-Word format 

You mention that the document has hyper-links with in it which cannot be included in an E-Sword bible module. The asterisks (*) included in the text of the bible translation online, are there to denote footnotes that are included in this particular bible translation. The online text also includes the use if lower case letters (ex: h ) to denote cross referencing with other bible verses. To do what you want in E-Sword will require the creation of two modules one for just the bible text and then a separate commentary file that will contain all of the footnotes and cross references. Both files will be able to be displayed in E-Sword as E-Sword has separate windows for bibles and commentaries.

Edited by Tj Higgins, 12 February 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#443 Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:15 PM

If my memory is correct on this you my have a problem with copyright. I think the JW's have it that only JW members can use the text. This so that others can not use their own words against them.

I would suggest that you check this out as you do not want to find yourself on the wrong side of a copyright fight.

Went online and did some checking and it looks like you should be able to get the file without copyright

Edited by Silverhair, 12 February 2018 - 04:17 PM.

I can only lead you to the truth. I can’t make you believe it.

“DISCERNMENT is not simply telling the difference between what is Right and Wrong;

rather, it is the difference between Right and almost right.”

#444 KevinXD

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:10 PM

Hello all!  It's my first post and I'm new to e-sword but was surprised at the absence of a module from John Chrysostom.  Does anyone have plans to make one, perhaps a commentary? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users