Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

What Modules do you want for e-Sword

• Please log in to reply
573 replies to this topic

#371 SetApartChosenOne

SetApartChosenOne

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

Hi all. I am interested in what type of modules people would like to have for e-Sword? I make modules of all sorts for people to study the Word of God.

thanks
Patchworkid

Thank you for your labor of love.

One thing lacking in my personal study library are actual complete Biblical Hebrew, Biblical Chaldee, Biblical Aramaic, and Biblical Greek dictionaries. I do have modules with the word "dictionary" or "lexicon" in the title, but these works are not actual dictionaries in the sense of the word "dictionary". For example, the popular Strong's Dictionary is coded with numbers for every word it references in Scripture, but were you aware that the majority of the words in Scripture are not the same words found in the Strong's Dictionary? Please allow me to clarify my thoughts.

The Strong's Dictionary, and most of the other modules I have within this portion of my library are limited because the majority of the words in them are simply root words. These are not the actual words you will find in your Hebrew/Chaldee/Aramaic, or Aramaic/Greek Bibles. To illustrate, do a search on Strong's number G3056. Strong's Dictionary will show this Strong's number as the Greek word "logos". But not every word in any Bible with Strong's numbers is the same word found in the Strong's Dictionary. The word found in the Strong's Dictionary is spelled Lambda Sigma Gamma Omicron ( or Omikron) Sigma (with the last Sigma written differently because it is at the end of the word).

However, e-Sword found 331 results in a New Testament search for Strong's number G3056. In these results I found my favorite Scripture, which is John 8:31, where it reads, "¶ Then said Yahushua (Jesus) to those Yahudim (Jews) which believed on him, If you continue in my word G3056, then are ye my disciples indeed;" However, and this is my point, this specific verse does not show the same exact word found in Strong's Dictionary, nor in most other lexicons and dictionaries in my library. The word for Strong's number G3056 found in John 8:31 uses a different inflection (form) of itself. Basically, all this means is that it is spelled differently. Yet, this also means, it cannot have the exact same definition. Is the definition similar? It depends on the word. But who wants similar.Are you satisfied with similar when you pop open Webster's, Merriam's, or the American Heritage dictionaries?  Do you even think that to look for similar in one of these dictionaries is profitable? And please don't get me wrong. I am not making this point over such things as word ending alone, where an -s, -ing, or -ed ending will still have a similar definition among the different spellings of the words. The differences I am pointing out are not even referenced in the lexicons and dictionaries in my library.

To continue, just because some of the letters are the same does not make the definition the same. Personally, I think this is a serious error, and a common mistake among believers, to whom this thought has not yet come to mind. In John 8:31, the word is spelled Lambda Sigma Gamma Omega. The e-Sword module, "Mounce Concise Greek-English Dictionary of the New Testament" just so happens to define this occurrence of this word as "doctrine", which I later found to also be defined in as "instruction" in the e-Sword module, "Thayer's Unabridged Greek - English Lexicon of the New Testament". Also, the Easy-to-Read Version, Good News Bible, and Weymouth New Testament all use the word "teaching" here. This simple study showed me a similar meaning between this occurrence of this word, and the common definition of the Hebrew word "torah H8451" which some like to define as teaching and instruction because of the underlying relation torah has to "yarah H3384". But what about the words that these two hyperlinked works, above, do not include? In fact, what about the Aramaic, Hebrew, and Chaldee words of Scripture?

I hope I was able to clearly communicate my thoughts. If you or anyone else can make a module of this sort, that includes a definition for each word in Scripture, Old and New Testament, that would truly be a dearly needed work. We hunger and thirst for righteousness, and we are currently being filled on root words, and their dissimilar definitions. LoL Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of Elohim, so I hope we can have an easily accessible definition for every word. Root words, and their definitions alone lead us astray, even if our intentions are genuinely good. This is real life here, and we need real substance, not make believe, but belief supported by accurate knowledge.

Now, with all of that said, I wish to end with my thanks to you. Some of the work you and others have already added to this site, I already downloaded and put to good use. Thank you for your labor of love. May YAHAH bless you and keep you in His peace.

Shalom

1 Corinthians 15:10

#372 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:50 AM

Thank you for your labor of love.

One thing lacking in my personal study library are actual complete Biblical Hebrew, Biblical Chaldee, Biblical Aramaic, and Biblical Greek dictionaries. I do have modules with the word "dictionary" or "lexicon" in the title, but these works are not actual dictionaries in the sense of the word "dictionary". For example, the popular Strong's Dictionary is coded with numbers for every word it references in Scripture, but were you aware that the majority of the words in Scripture are not the same words found in the Strong's Dictionary? Please allow me to clarify my thoughts.

The Strong's Dictionary, and most of the other modules I have within this portion of my library are limited because the majority of the words in them are simply root words. These are not the actual words you will find in your Hebrew/Chaldee/Aramaic, or Aramaic/Greek Bibles. To illustrate, do a search on Strong's number G3056. Strong's Dictionary will show this Strong's number as the Greek word "logos". But not every word in any Bible with Strong's numbers is the same word found in the Strong's Dictionary. The word found in the Strong's Dictionary is spelled Lambda Sigma Gamma Omicron ( or Omikron) Sigma (with the last Sigma written differently because it is at the end of the word).

However, e-Sword found 331 results in a New Testament search for Strong's number G3056. In these results I found my favorite Scripture, which is John 8:31, where it reads, "¶ Then said Yahushua (Jesus) to those Yahudim (Jews) which believed on him, If you continue in my word G3056, then are ye my disciples indeed;" However, and this is my point, this specific verse does not show the same exact word found in Strong's Dictionary, nor in most other lexicons and dictionaries in my library. The word for Strong's number G3056 found in John 8:31 uses a different inflection (form) of itself. Basically, all this means is that it is spelled differently. Yet, this also means, it cannot have the exact same definition. Is the definition similar? It depends on the word. But who wants similar.Are you satisfied with similar when you pop open Webster's, Merriam's, or the American Heritage dictionaries?  Do you even think that to look for similar in one of these dictionaries is profitable? And please don't get me wrong. I am not making this point over such things as word ending alone, where an -s, -ing, or -ed ending will still have a similar definition among the different spellings of the words. The differences I am pointing out are not even referenced in the lexicons and dictionaries in my library.

To continue, just because some of the letters are the same does not make the definition the same. Personally, I think this is a serious error, and a common mistake among believers, to whom this thought has not yet come to mind. In John 8:31, the word is spelled Lambda Sigma Gamma Omega. The e-Sword module, "Mounce Concise Greek-English Dictionary of the New Testament" just so happens to define this occurrence of this word as "doctrine", which I later found to also be defined in as "instruction" in the e-Sword module, "Thayer's Unabridged Greek - English Lexicon of the New Testament". Also, the Easy-to-Read Version, Good News Bible, and Weymouth New Testament all use the word "teaching" here. This simple study showed me a similar meaning between this occurrence of this word, and the common definition of the Hebrew word "torah H8451" which some like to define as teaching and instruction because of the underlying relation torah has to "yarah H3384". But what about the words that these two hyperlinked works, above, do not include? In fact, what about the Aramaic, Hebrew, and Chaldee words of Scripture?

I hope I was able to clearly communicate my thoughts. If you or anyone else can make a module of this sort, that includes a definition for each word in Scripture, Old and New Testament, that would truly be a dearly needed work. We hunger and thirst for righteousness, and we are currently being filled on root words, and their dissimilar definitions. LoL Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of Elohim, so I hope we can have an easily accessible definition for every word. Root words, and their definitions alone lead us astray, even if our intentions are genuinely good. This is real life here, and we need real substance, not make believe, but belief supported by accurate knowledge.

Now, with all of that said, I wish to end with my thanks to you. Some of the work you and others have already added to this site, I already downloaded and put to good use. Thank you for your labor of love. May YAHAH bless you and keep you in His peace.

Shalom

G3066 is used 330 times in the TR(1550) and +2 in some other sources (Byz2005 not the LXX).
KJV: word 218, saying 50, account 8, speech 8, Word (Christ) 7, thing 5, not tr 2, misc 32 TR: 330

http://www.biblesupp...es-concordance/
(HOTC)
http://www.biblesupp...eek-scriptures/

Logos(Word)
The difference between λογος (N-NSM) and λογω (N-DSM) and that λογος is the lexical form and λογω is the Dative case.
http://www.chlt.org/...k/JWW_FGB8.html
Here is a real teacher for basic Biblical Greek Grammar.
Jerry Reisig

For the Second lesson look to 17:00 until 20:45 (It is about Logos)

Here is the list with λογω
λογω (43)  
Mat_8:16, Mat_22:15, Mar_10:22, Mar_12:13, Luk_1:29, Luk_7:7, Luk_24:19, Joh_2:22, Joh_4:50, Joh_8:31, Act_7:29, Act_8:21, Act_10:29, Act_14:3, Act_20:2, Act_20:32, Act_20:38, Rom_13:9, Rom_15:18, 1Co_1:5, 1Co_4:20, 1Co_15:2, 2Co_6:7, 2Co_8:7, 2Co_10:11, 2Co_11:6, Gal_5:14, Col_1:5, Col_3:17, 1Th_1:5, 1Th_2:5, 1Th_4:15, 2Th_2:17, 2Th_3:14, 1Ti_4:12, 1Ti_5:17, Jam_1:18, Jam_3:2, 1Pe_2:8, 1Pe_3:1, 2Pe_3:5, 2Pe_3:7, 1Jn_3:18

The word "word" is also very idiomatic in English (big words, good words, wise words)
Look to the big range of definitions
http://www.onelook.c...om/?w=word&ls=a

The word "Doctrine" is based on the Latin translation(doctrina) of G1322 διδαχή didache and G1319.

doctrine

something taught; teachings
    something taught as the principles or creed of a religion, political party, etc.; tenet or tenets; belief; dogma
    a rule, theory, or principle of law
    ⌂ an official statement of a nation's policy, esp. toward other nations: the Monroe Doctrine

Origin of doctrine
Middle English ; from Classical Latin doctrina ; from doctor: see doctor
http://www.yourdictionary.com/doctrine

While Logos(word) can mean teaching or doctrine are there another words for it.

Mat 15:9 but in vain they worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. Isa 29:13 .

(TRi) μάτην G3155 ADV δὲ But In Vain G1161 CONJ σέβονταί They Worship G4576 V-PNI-3P με Me, G3165 P-1AS διδάσκοντες Teaching As G1321 V-PAP-NPM διδασκαλίας Teachings G1319 N-APF ἐντάλματα Injunctions G1778 N-APN ἀνθρώπων Of Men. G444 N-GPM

You are mislead by a false teacher.

Edited by Katoog, 02 June 2016 - 08:42 AM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#373 FloatingPoint

FloatingPoint

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:23 AM

I would love to see "Encyclopaedia of Religion and Ethics (13 vols.)" by Hastings.

Many Blessings. 

#374 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:43 PM

Hi all. I am interested in what type of modules people would like to have for e-Sword? I make modules of all sorts for people to study the Word of God.

thanks
Patchworkid

I had created a module for e-Sword (Apple/Mac/iPad/iPhone), which is in traditional interlinear layout, i.e. Greek word right above English gloss and all other information, at http://www.biblesupp...iphone-android/

I attached a screenshot for this layout here.

I am going to convert my BHSE collection in similar layout too, which is now only in MySword format ( http://www.biblesupp...-etcbc-4b-hebr/

)

As I aware many users use e-Sword in PC, is it possible to convert Apple e-Sword files into PC e-Sword files directly?  Does e-Sword for PC support traditional interlinear view?

I heard about many discussion on a powerful tool, ToolNT, in this forum.  Is this tool able to do the conversion I needed?  As I do not use Windows computer, I had not yet tried ToolNT yet.

or, can you convert the modules into e-Sword for PC?

looking to a solution ... many thanks.

#375 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:44 PM

Could you help converting this module to e-Sword for PC?

I attach another screenshot here for my newly created interlinear Hebrew bible module for Apple e-Sword (Mac/iPhone/iPad).  I hope someone can help me to bring this to e-Sword for PC as well.  I created this one by converting my MySword modules at

http://www.biblesupp...-etcbc-4b-hebr/

Attached Files

#376 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:56 AM

I would check with Rick Meyers, to see if/when he might use the bbli etc module specification in e-Sword for PC. 

Jon

#377 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

I would check with Rick Meyers, to see if/when he might use the bbli etc module specification in e-Sword for PC. 

Jon

Hi Jon, thanks very much for your reply and help. Looking forward to further updates. Thanks.

#378 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:11 PM

Jon

Hi Jon, thanks very much for your reply and help. Looking forward to further updates. Thanks.

Hi Eliran

I can tell you this much: A new version of e-Sword is a bit way off. Rick Meyers is in all probability, going to do a complete rewrite of e-Sword for PC. Below is an email he sent me nearly 3 months ago.

Stephen,

I am at a bit of a crossroads with the development of e-Sword for the PC.
For 15 years it has been written in Visual Basic, and while it still runs
on Windows 10, it does so in handicapped form. Also, there are some
resource types I would like to be able to develop which the current
framework cannot support in its current form. I have been weighing the
pros and cons between a total rewrite, or seeing how much more I can do
with the current code base. While a rewrite might be a better long term
solution, upsetting 30 million users because everything doesn't work
exactly the same means dealing with a lot more support emails! I think I
can accomplish some of the gains I would get from a rewrite by doing a few
creative things in the current code base. It also radically shortens the
release time!

I may not have answered your question, but as I have mentally migrated
from the Apple world and back to Windows you can be sure that the next
update is coming one day!

In His service,

Rick Meyers

It is my belief that when this will be done, there may, and I stress, there may be cross platform compatibility of of resources. On the other hand, there may not be cross platform compatibility. So from my perspective, and its just that, my perspective all I am offering is nothing more than conjecture and an intelligent guess when looking at that email.

Having said that, going by his email, there wont be any new updates (upgrades) of e-Sword for PC in its current form.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#379 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:05 AM

thank you. looking forward to a new one.

#380 cherokeewo

cherokeewo

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:44 PM

Green's Interlinear and Smith's Bible Dictionary would be nice. I appreciate e-sword so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users