Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Expositor's Bible now in Commentary Format

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

Why is there a big difference in size? The zip file is twice as large as the exe file.

The exe is the self installing version. The commentary is identical but the size of the file is smaller because of much better compression. Zip files, as produced in Windows, use medicore compression. The exe files are produced by Innosetup and it uses much better compression.

#12 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:20 PM

I want to offer my sincere thanks to Doctor Dave, his team, and Josh for both versions of the Expositor's Bible - topic and commentary. I have used the topic version and really enjoyed it. I'm now starting to use the commentary version, and I can already see that I'm going to enjoy it. Bluntly, this work is a blessing and represents many hours of hard labor on a huge undertaking. I am certain that God is going to use this work for His Glory, and I give thanks for it.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#13 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:40 AM

The exe is the self installing version. The commentary is identical but the size of the file is smaller because of much better compression. Zip files, as produced in Windows, use medicore compression. The exe files are produced by Innosetup and it uses much better compression.

Josh,
I don't use Windows compression at all. I have a choice between Zip Genius and 7Zip. They really give the files a big squeeze. After having created the file as a zip file, I then convert them through Zip Genius as a SFX (exe) file. Compression rate for Zip Genius (depending on file size) is about 70+%. On the odd file I get it up to over 90% compression. Pretty good, eh mate.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

#14 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

I was looking at the Top 10 Downloads and was reflecting back on the Expositor's Bible project.

The topic files were uploaded on on October 26, 2011.

We added the commentary version on December 3, 2011

The total downloads before December 3 was 2,366. The total downloads after December 3 was 26,302.

Clearly, some people are downloading the topic version and the commentary version. But one thing that's also clear: People prefer a commentary by a huge margin. I do too, honestly. Commentaries receive more usage, where Topics tend to be "buried". I think that's true with a lot of people. So whenever possible, commentary format it is (at least for me).

#15 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Commentaries are much more useable. To be honest I have yet to use the ref feature since it came out, most of MY study is from Bibles/commentaries.

#16 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Yes, the commentary format is much easier to use. It's all automatic and linked with no separate searches or manual syncs. I exclusively use the commentary now for these reasons. I'm sure that they are harder to make, but I can tell you that I sure do appreciate that extra effort.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users