Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Having Trouble With Search All Topics

New Search All for topics

11 replies to this topic

#1 fmcfee

fmcfee

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

Hi,

I have read the help file and tried mutiple times to figure out how to do a search all of my topics...I have not converted them to the new format...I see them in the menu bar but can only manage to search one topic at a time...what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Frank

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hi,

I have read the help file and tried mutiple times to figure out how to do a search all of my topics...I have not converted them to the new format...I see them in the menu bar but can only manage to search one topic at a time...what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Frank

Hi Frank,
See "Extended Search - Multiple Reference Books" on page 182 of the e-Sword Manual (page number is from the latest version of the manual--older versions of the manual have the same section name but on a different page). Searching all topics is available only through the Reference Library.

#3 fmcfee

fmcfee

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

I am confused..I am talking about reference files (the button on the menu bar) that contains my topx files.....you are talking about "topic notes" in the editors section.....does that mean there is not a "search all" that can be used for the reference library?......I cannot figure out how to convert these files...pg 165 refers to "topic notes"....I am missing something because nothing shows up when I cntrl-right click on the file either in explorer or  in e-sword

Thanks
Frank

Edited by fmcfee, 20 November 2011 - 05:27 PM.

#4 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:05 PM

Frank,

prior to eS10, there was no way to search multiple .top/.topx files. So, yes, you must do the conversion in order to search more than one .top/.topx file at a time.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

I am confused..I am talking about reference files (the button on the menu bar) that contains my topx files.....you are talking about "topic notes" in the editors section.....does that mean there is not a "search all" that can be used for the reference library?......I cannot figure out how to convert these files...pg 165 refers to "topic notes"....I am missing something because nothing shows up when I cntrl-right click on the file either in explorer or in e-sword

Thanks
Frank

Hi,

No, I'm not talking about the Topics Editor. I'm talking about the Reference Library. And absolutely, you can search all your topics in the Reference Library. Page 182 refers to Topic Notes viewed from the Reference Library (if your viewing the most recent version of the manual). You do not need to convert your topics file to refx files to read topics files in the Reference Library. You just need to view and search your topics files in the Reference Library. :)

Frank,

prior to eS10, there was no way to search multiple .top/.topx files. So, yes, you must do the conversion in order to search more than one .top/.topx file at a time.

You don't need to convert to reference library format (refx) to search more than one topics at a time. You can search more than one topic in the Reference Library. I think you know that--I think what you were saying came out wrong. :) He needs e-Sword 10, which he seems to have based on his references to the Reference Library, but he doesn't need to do any file conversion.

#6 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:47 PM

Hi Frank,

I got your message you sent via the Report to Moderator Link. You don't need to convert anything. You just need to view the files in the Reference Library. No conversion is necessary.

You have been sent this communication from fmcfee via the "Report this to a moderator" link.

------------------------------------------------

Content Reported: http://www.biblesupp...ndpost__p__3916
Report Link: http://www.biblesupp...w_report&rid=15

------------------------------------------------
Report:

------------ QUOTE ----------

Sorry to bother you....I just redownloaded e-sword 10.0.5 with the repair option....something is not right...I have read pg 165 & 182 and I cannot get the get the "convert" box to show up...I have tried various areas in the window with the reference opened?....I will try to do a complete uninstall and then reinstall...I am running Windows Vista

Thanks again...

Frank

#7 fmcfee

fmcfee

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

Josh,

Sorry to bother you....I just redownloaded e-sword 10.0.5 with the repair option....something is not right...I have read pg 165 & 182 and I cannot get the get the "convert" box to show up....
(I understand from your post I do not need to convert any files)..

To be clear  what I am talking about is I can find the extended search button for bibles, dictionaries but not for my reference books..I am talking about

books like "Antiquities Of The Jews", Ante-Nicence fathers, etc...

should I try to do a complete uninstall and then reinstall...I am running Windows Vista

Thanks again...

Frank

Edited by fmcfee, 20 November 2011 - 06:13 PM.

#8 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

Thanks, Josh,

what I wrote on the screen wasn't as clear as what I thought in my head!

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Josh,

Sorry to bother you....I just redownloaded e-sword 10.0.5 with the repair option....something is not right...I have read pg 165 & 182 and I cannot get the get the "convert" box to show up....
(I understand from your post I do not need to convert any files)..

To be clear what I am talking about is I can find the extended search button for bibles, dictionaries but not for my reference books..I am talking about

books like "Antiquities Of The Jews", Ante-Nicence fathers, etc...

should I try to do a complete uninstall and then reinstall...I am running Windows Vista

Thanks again...

Frank

Frank, you don't see anything like this?

Attached File  reflibrary.png   31.46K   3 downloads

If the menu option is totally missing, then I'm not sure what to say? Sure try uninstalling totally and reinstalling. Also try going to Help > Reset Settings. You might even contact the developer directly through e-sword.net if the menu option just isn't there.

#10 fmcfee

fmcfee

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:02 PM

Josh,
I unintstalled and reinstalled and still don't see the "Library ..extended search option"...I will email this problem to Rick...
Thanks for your help
Frank

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users