Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Useing E-Sword in Linux with Wine

44 replies to this topic

#21 windspinner

windspinner

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationRutledge, TN

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

Greetings,

Just found you folks so this is my first post. I'd like to share my experience with linux. Just installed Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit. Added the wine ppa and installed wine 1.4 with synaptic. Downloaded and installed latest E-sword 10 with no problems. Opened it and went to download manager, clicked all I wanted, clicked apply and they all installed just fine, very quickly.

Re-downloaded all my premium modules for ver. 10, clicked on them and they all installed perfectly. Got so excited I bought 2 more. I didn't need to use any special installation tools or fiddle with my wine configuration. (It is default - as installed) Downloaded a few modules from other sites and they all worked fine.

For those having trouble I'd like to suggest you try the latest version of wine. The one from winehq. Haven't had too much time to experiment but searches are as quick or quicker than they were with Windows. The only issue I have is that it takes some time for the program to load initially. Once loaded all is well. Installed it on my Asus netbook running Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit with same results, although the initial program loading is painfully slow.

Problems? 1. Is there anything I can install with winetricks that might speed up initial loading? 2. With all the dictionaries, maps, resources available, how can I remember that the main objective is to get my sermons done?

Blessings.

John

#22 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Added the wine ppa and installed wine 1.4 with synaptic.
For those having trouble I'd like to suggest you try the latest version of wine.

I just installed WINE 1.6 on my system.
(I also installed the wrong half of xcfe 4.10, so I have to reinstall my entire system.)

jonathon

#23 Yoshaben

Yoshaben

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

Ok I have a problem with my purchased NET Bible Premium after a version 10 upgrade. I am on Fedora 16 wine 1.5.2 eSword 10.1.0. Everything works but my NET Bible. I got the latest version from bible.org, installed and the result is the tabs show but no text within them. What might I check?

#24 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:03 AM

Ok I have a problem with my purchased NET Bible Premium after a version 10 upgrade. I am on Fedora 16 wine 1.5.2 eSword 10.1.0. Everything works but my NET Bible. I got the latest version from bible.org, installed and the result is the tabs show but no text within them. What might I check?

First, I hope that my memory is correct. If I remember correctly Net Bible Premium was never updated from e-Sword version 8 to e-Sword version 9. I'm almost sure that I used a converter program available in the tools and utilities section here to convert my Net Bible to e-Sword version 9 (9 is compatible with 10). e-Sword version 8 modules will not work with e-Sword version 9 or 10.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#25 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:57 AM

http://store.bible.o...sp?ProductID=71

#26 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

I've got the updated NET version direct from Bible.org. Josh worked on correcting some of the problems with it moving to v10, if I'm not mistaken.

#27 Yoshaben

Yoshaben

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

I've got the updated NET version direct from Bible.org. Josh worked on correcting some of the problems with it moving to v10, if I'm not mistaken.

I also got the updated version from bible.org. Still have the problem. What I get is the chapter and verse but no text.????

#28 windspinner

windspinner

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationRutledge, TN

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

" I also got the updated version from bible.org. Still have the problem. What I get is the chapter and verse but no text.????"

I had same problem using older e-sword 8 and wine 1.1. After changing some .dll files from built-in to native I finally got it to load but all I had was chapter & verse, no text. Did some looking around in e-sword and found an option to "not use a backround". Once I clicked that the text magically appeared.

Don't know that this is solution to your problem but it might give you a direction to investigate.

#29 rkleivel

rkleivel

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for valuable info everyone!
I've just installed E-sword 10.1.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 and imported my notes etc and it works like charm except for one thing: I have used the yellow marker a lot in the previous installation (ubuntu 10.10 and an earlier e-sword). But now the yellow marker does not show in e-sword. Did even reinstall from scratch and marked some text, but still no success. Any idea? Underlining works though...
Thanks again

#30 geo316

geo316

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

All,

I know this is a one year old thread but I've been trying to get an answer to a problem with e-Sword running under wine/ubuntu for more than a year!

It's a not a showstopping problem, but nonetheless.

Basically when upgrading to e-sword 10 I followed the "silverlight" instructions on several forums and reinstalled using the exe, not the famous install script from one of the Ubuntu forums - everything worked except none of the verses highlight or sync to the commentaries. Can anyone here shed light on this? Is there a specific .dll for wine that is responsible for this?

I've asked on several forums more than a year ago and have yet to get a reply.

Again, not a showstopping issue but still high on the annoyance list ;-) Any help would be appreciated.

George

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users