Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Using Microsoft Word to Make Modules

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#11 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

Sorry Niobi, mistunderstood you. Without seeing the original text, it's hard to say exactly. But try this.

Don't use wildcards.

search for: ^13^13

and replace with: ^13

#12 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

There's several ways line breaks can be inserted. So if the above doesn't work, try this:

search for: ^p^p

and replace with: ^p

#13 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

Ok i'l tryAttached File  Second Peter.htm   88.09K   16 downloads

This is what Cobb78 is trying to put into a bible and cmt or topic also. Please look at this and tell me if it is possible to put into single line (line break) to each verse.

thanks agian
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#14 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Ok i'l tryAttached File  Second Peter.htm   88.09K   16 downloads

This is what Cobb78 is trying to put into a bible and cmt or topic also. Please look at this and tell me if it is possible to put into single line (line break) to each verse.

thanks agian

Here's what I did to this document. The quotes below are to show you what the text is--you shouldn't include the quotes.

I downloaded your htm file and opened it in my browser.

I copied the text to Word.

The source text had verses in sentence/paragraph style. And in there were verse numbers starting off each verse using a superscript font.

I searched for "^13" and and replaced with nothing. That got rid of all line breaks (paragraphs, etc).

I searched for the font style of superscript and replaced that "^p" which is a new line. That puts every verse on a new line. The superscript font had the tiny verse numbers, so we know every time there's an instance of the superscript font, we have a new verse. Therefore, we should have a new line since we don't want the verses run together. We also no longer want the actual verse number either. So we search for any instance of a super script font (which also selects any characters formatted in superscript font) and replace that number with a line break. This is just basic Word searching--no wildcards--no regular expressions, just point and click.

To get rid of the space next to where the verse number used to be, I searched for "^p " and replaced with "^p"

Attached File  Simon Peter.rtf   65.03K   16 downloads

Now, you'll have to go through the text and get rid of the Chapter headers and figure a way to work the notes in, if you want to do that. Removing the chapter headers could be as simple as searching for the font size/style since that's unique to chapter headers.

Your text also has a lot of hyperlinks. Don't need those in e-Sword. Select all the text and press Ctrl-shift F9 to instantly remove all hyperlinks.

This will be different for each document--there's no set formula because it's 100% dependent on the source text. If you learn what the search/replace can do, then you can recognize what you need to do each time. After a while, you can analyze a document and have the text modified in just a matter of seconds.

Edited by Josh Bond, 14 November 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#15 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

Cool Thanks a lot and tell Cobb78 also

Good night BibleSupport.com :-)
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#16 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

So, ^p inserts a "hard break" or a "paragraph break"? I've been trying to figure that out for a couple days. For some reason, I wasn't finding that. I'd been inserting the line breaks, which apparently doesn't "technically" make a new paragraph.

Thanks. I'll be trying this tonight.

BCobb

#17 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

^p inserts a paragraph break. Many of the things you can search for or search by (replace with) are here:

Attached File  word-search1.png   79.63K   9 downloads
Attached File  word-search2.png   66.57K   9 downloads

#18 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

Also discovered I can remove all the hyperlinks in the text with one keystroke without messing up the look of the text.

ctrl shift f9

Works great!

Just thought I'd share.

#19 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

What else do I like about Word? I should post one of these everyday. I think I have enough for almost a year's worth.

When your formatting a module, maybe there's a repetitive "thing" you must keep doing. Maybe you have a list of items, lines of poetry, or Works Cited list that is double spaced. And you would like it to be single spaced.

In different modules, it will be different things. But the point is: it's repetitive formatting that you must take time to do over and over and over.

With Word, you can record a macro. And then put link to that macro on your toolbar.

For example, maybe you have a list like this that's double spaced (except the list is longer and the lists are frequent).

Attached File  macrobefore.png   150.09K   10 downloads

It would look better single spaced. But do you want to search and replace this every time? Searching for ^p^p and replacing with ^p ? That's a lot of clicking and it slows you down.

Attached File  macroafter.png   176.2K   12 downloads

With Word, you search/replace one time and record it as a macro. Then you put the macro on your toolbar or connect it to a shortcut (if you like shortcut key combinations).

This was a really simple example. But you can apply this feature to save large chunks of time to accomplish huge formatting changes.

I usually have at least several recorded macros for every project I'm on because I quickly see that certain edits are repetitive but can't be completely automated.

#20 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

I've done easy searches and operations (less than 3 seconds) in Word that other word processors need "macros" for. And when I do need a macro, writing one (or finding one on the Internet) is easy (because everyone uses Word).

Josh

Hi Josh,
On macro programming (writing macros) I hate to tell you this (nah, tell you a lie, I actually get a big buzz in saying this) MS Word just doesn't cut the mustard. The problem is you can't program a macro in word at all. It doesn't give you that capability, and you need an external programming IDE (that if you don't have it, you gotta buy it, which means more expense) like VBA or something like that.

Now, here I reckon Dr Dave will agree, WordPerfect comes in on its own. It has its own built in macro programming IDE where you can create, write, test, and run the new macro. All the built in features in WordPerfect are macro run. Dictionary, Thesaurus, Print, Save, New, and etc are macros built in WordPerfect's Macro programming language.

As to the other aspects of search stress test you do, I really have no comments on that as I do not use MS Word often despite having it.

It's what I use to write the e-Sword User's Guide. And having used more powerful tools over the years for technical documentation, like Adobe Pagemaker and Framemaker, I'm yet to see a tool that is as flexible, powerful, and easy to use as Word 2010.

Yeah, I've noticed that too from your screenshot, and I look at those this and I wonder why you actually need them. When it comes to writing and then creating pdf documents I don't have any extra software to do the work. Again, in WordPerfect one can create a pdf file (as well in OpenOffice) without having to use extra software to do it.

WordPerfect is brilliant in the creation of pdf files because all hypertext and bookmark links are saved into the pdf file. I guess this goes with OpenOffice as well. I think Jonathan Blake can attest to that better than I can as he is an OO user.

The problem with using MS Word for the creation of Documentation for software such as pdf files, one has to have added software to convert it to another format such as pdf files. The programs you use are by no means free or cheap, and for some the cost of them would be quite an expensive exercise.

With regard to the creation of Topic Notes in MS Word, in reality one doesn't need to have it. Any word processor that can save a file in rtf format will do the same job as MS Word. About the only thing going for MS Word in this area is just its Clipboard capability. However, that said, WordPerfect also has that feature, and its over half the price cheaper than MS Word, and one can save the document as an rtf file (which T3 uses).

Now, when I create a Topic Note from scratch, I use e-Sword. Yeah I know that it doesn't quite cut the mustard in comparison to external word processors , but I like the way in e-Sword one can actually map out the project. Moreover, you don't have to create multiple rtf files in order to have many "chapters". So I guess that in itself it makes work a lot easier. Also too, with the new added features in the Topic Note editor, will make creating a topx file a far better experience, as as such, to some extent will cut out the need for using an external word processor.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users