Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Jewish Encyclopedia update 03/26/23

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 03:14 PM

The project of creating a module from The Jewish Encyclopedia continues but not very well. 

There is simply no quick and or easy way to accomplish this task let me elaborate on what I mean by this.

First the only useable source for this project is the Jewish Encyclopedia website which contains over 15000 individual html pages at one page for each individual article with the the encyclopedia 

At first I was doing a simple copy and paste of each entry into Tooltip NT but this is a very slow process and I needed to find a quicker way. So I downloaded a program to make a copy of the website on my computer to work from and that worked well giving me a perfect duplicate of the Jewish Encyclopedia website. I then downloaded a program to convert all of the individual article html pages to rtf format again this worked well but it left me with an unexpected and very troubling issue. 

Each of the individual article contains not only the text and images found with in the articles themselves but each page also has a directory which appears across the top of the page in the html but a single column list in the rtf page. This single column list appears above the text article in every rtf file. Below each article is a shorter directory also in a single column list.

What I need to be able to do is somehow in very quick and easy way is to move the article text and images into Tooltip to create the module. Given the layout created by the html to rtf conversion, I am left having to delete a total of 30000 directories from each rtf page both the directory above each entry and the directory below each entry. This is very time consuming and times frustrating method to use given how much editing I must do. 

I have restarted this project twice but I am not making much progress which is frustrating because I have not had such issues with other modules I have created.

In anyone can help please reach out as I will take any help I can get

The Jewish Encyclopedia will be a fantastic resource for e-sword users when it is completed

Edited by Tj Higgins, 26 March 2023 - 03:19 PM.

#2 Christy DuBois

Christy DuBois

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 08:08 PM

Hello Tj, is the unwanted text block a different font than the text you want to keep?

#3 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 08:13 PM

Hello Tj, is the unwanted text block a different font than the text you want to keep?

NO the font is the same just blue while the article text is black

#4 Christy DuBois

Christy DuBois

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 08:27 PM

NO the font is the same just blue while the article text is black

Is there a way I could get a sample page(s) of what you're working on?

#5 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 09:19 PM

Is there a way I could get a sample page(s) of what you're working on?

I can email them to you if that will work 

#6 gad4

gad4

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 11:43 AM

Just checking in to see if there's anything we can do to help.

Reading up on what you wrote, there may be applications that can concat files together.

Also, I could probably write a perl script that would remove certain lines from a file.

cut/paste in word or any word processor might do similar. however with a script, if a certain beginning is on a line, we can have a more custom insertion or removal of the whole line or perhaps to a certain point on the line.

Edited by gad4, 21 July 2023 - 11:43 AM.

#7 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 22 July 2023 - 10:30 AM

Just checking in to see if there's anything we can do to help.

Reading up on what you wrote, there may be applications that can concat files together.

Also, I could probably write a perl script that would remove certain lines from a file.

cut/paste in word or any word processor might do similar. however with a script, if a certain beginning is on a line, we can have a more custom insertion or removal of the whole line or perhaps to a certain point on the line.

The project is on hold until I can get my other computer fixed and recover the project files

#8 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 24 July 2023 - 09:48 AM

The project is on hold until I can get my other computer fixed and recover the project files

Hey Higgsy, what happened to your machine?

On a side note: whenever I create a new program, and test the code for errors, I duck under the desk in event that my computer explodes from all the errors.

Attached File  Nuke Emoji.gif   8.28K   0 downloads

That kind of explosion

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#9 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 10:31 AM

Hey Higgsy, what happened to your machine?

On a side note: whenever I create a new program, and test the code for errors, I duck under the desk in event that my computer explodes from all the errors.

attachicon.gifNuke Emoji.gif

That kind of explosion

Blessings,

I believe it suffered a mother board failure

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 24 July 2023 - 06:36 PM

I believe it suffered a mother board failure

Oh, OK! So it was one of those

post-94-0-57825900-1690213657.gif

incidents that you experienced.

I hope you made it safely under your desk.

ROFL.gif

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 24 July 2023 - 06:38 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users