Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Shortcut to open e-Sword at named verse

3 replies to this topic

#1 Bushy

Bushy

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 01:59 AM

In Windows, I can open e-Sword using a shortcut or hyperlink <"C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword\e-Sword.exe"> Is there a switch that could be added to set the bible at a specified verse?

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 10 February 2023 - 05:31 AM

In Windows, I can open e-Sword using a shortcut or hyperlink <"C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword\e-Sword.exe"> Is there a switch that could be added to set the bible at a specified verse?

You can have e-Sword open randomly on any verse of Scripture, or have e-Sword open at the point of where you were previously before exiting the program. So, if you want e-Sword to open at a particular book, chapter and verse of the Bible, then just uncheck the Random Startup Verse menu item at the bottom of the Options Menu. When that is done, e-Sword will always open up at the last position where you left off. Outside of that, there is not a tool that is available which will give you that function.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful than that.

Blessings,

Stephen (Php 1:21).

Edited by APsit190, 10 February 2023 - 05:36 AM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 modulist

modulist

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 10 February 2023 - 12:12 PM

One solution you might use on Windows is AutoHotKey, which is a scripting language. You could write a script that launches e-Sword, and then when the window appears, automatically types in the particular scripture reference you want into the search box and sends an enter keystroke. It's probably the closest thing you can get to e-Sword automatically opening up to a desired verse.

If you are programatically inclined and want more information about it (and to download the installer), go to their website here: https://www.autohotkey.com/

Edited by modulist, 10 February 2023 - 12:17 PM.

#4 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 04:50 PM

The value is stored in the Registry. So I think it is possible to have a script make the change and run e-Sword.

The registry location is

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VB and VBA Program Settings\e-Sword\Settings]
"Last Reference"="Rom 1:1"

Mine is set to open e-Sword at Romans 1:1

If you take the above data and put it into a text file with the extension of .reg and double click it, it will change the registry. Then when you run e-Sword it opens at that point.

I am not that familiar with scripts, but I am sure Google can show how.

It all seems a bit long-winded way of doing what takes a few seconds the normal way.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users