Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Universal Sync

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 greg-k

greg-k

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 11:05 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm new to e-Sword and have recommended it to my study group. 

However, the biggest functionality it is lacking is bookmark/note syncing between devices. 

For instance, I'm using e-SwordX and e-Sword LT (ios). I often use my mobile device to take quick notes or bookmark verses. But sadly there appears to be no way to transmit this work back to my desktop version of e-Sword. 

I'm hoping Rick sees this and/or some programmers could develop a module to add this critical functionality.

Thanks and Peace,

~g

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 12:13 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm new to e-Sword and have recommended it to my study group. 

However, the biggest functionality it is lacking is bookmark/note syncing between devices. 

For instance, I'm using e-SwordX and e-Sword LT (ios). I often use my mobile device to take quick notes or bookmark verses. But sadly there appears to be no way to transmit this work back to my desktop version of e-Sword. 

I'm hoping Rick sees this and/or some programmers could develop a module to add this critical functionality.

Thanks and Peace,

~g

You can use a cloud server to upload the bookmark file from one device then download it on to the other

#3 greg-k

greg-k

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 02:11 PM

Near as I can tell there is no good way to export bookmarks and notes from IOS in order to put it on cloud server. I've looked at a bunch of forum posts and this doesn't seem to be possible (at least in Mac). 

If I'm wrong, I'd love to know a procedure to do this.

Thanks!

~g

#4 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 04:34 PM

Near as I can tell there is no good way to export bookmarks and notes from IOS in order to put it on cloud server. I've looked at a bunch of forum posts and this doesn't seem to be possible (at least in Mac). 

If I'm wrong, I'd love to know a procedure to do this.

Thanks!

~g

e-Sword notes and bookmarks are saved in files that are installed when e-Sword first intalls. 

The windows version of e-Sword uses the following files for Study, Journal, Topic notes and bookmarks:

study.notx - study notes file

journal.jrnx - journal notes file
yourfilename.topx - topics notes 
bookmark.lstx

I know for a fact that the Apple/Mac versions of e-Sword use .topi for topic files and as well as the following files for notes and bookmarks:

bookmarks.lsti,

study.noti

These files should be located in the following directory on your Mac device, not sure about your mobile device:

Library\Containers\net.e-sword.e-Sword-X\Data\Documents\

Once you locate the files you can as I posted earlier you can upload them to a cloud server such as iCloud, you should also be able to upload from  your mobile device as well. You will also be able to download from the cloud server to either device, this will allow you to share the file between devices. 

One word of warning, if you want to keep all of your bookmarks and notes make sure to rename the files you download from the cloud server to avoid overrighting files and losing data.

Once you

#5 greg-k

greg-k

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:59 PM

Hi TJ -- Thanks again for your response!

I guess that's my point. The above method is way too cumbersome to use. I don't really use iCloud.

What we desperately need is an easy export/import system to go between mobile and desktop. Even if it meant you email a file and do some sort of manual sync that would be preferable than trying to find the correct .topi file. Sadly, the iPhone environment is closed, so there really is no way to access the bookmark files. 

Anyhow, if there was a module genius out there who could put together an easy universal sync system that would be a blessing. 

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:48 PM

Hi TJ -- Thanks again for your response!

I guess that's my point. The above method is way too cumbersome to use. I don't really use iCloud.

What we desperately need is an easy export/import system to go between mobile and desktop. Even if it meant you email a file and do some sort of manual sync that would be preferable than trying to find the correct .topi file. Sadly, the iPhone environment is closed, so there really is no way to access the bookmark files. 

Anyhow, if there was a module genius out there who could put together an easy universal sync system that would be a blessing. 

Hi Greg,

When it comes to topi files, if you are using e-Sword (for Windows), then those files are pretty much as useful as hip-pockets on a t-shirt - simply because with e-Sword (for Windows) Topic Note editor only spits out topx files (as does the Study Note editor spitting out notx files). And with that, topi files can't be read and neither be edited in the Windows edition of e-Sword.

Now, when it comes to "Universal" Synchronization of files between devices, even when one can do it in a specific program, still requires a centralized server or device of one kind of another where the files can be accessed from. Whether you call it the "Cloud," or something else is really irrelevant.

With that said, however, if you are just at home and and want to work between devices, i.e., iPhone and PC, or Galaxy Phone (Samsung) and PC, for iPhone you can (If its still available) use Microsoft's Your Phone app, and Galaxy Phones use Microsoft's Phone Link app. What these apps do, is they directly synchronizes your phone and PC to each other either by USB cable or WiFi.

If you have a macOS device, you are able to sync your iPhone to it. Click here to find out how its done.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 01 December 2022 - 07:07 PM.

#7 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 01 December 2022 - 07:27 PM

On March 31, 2022, the "Your Phone", from Microsoft, was rebranded to "Phone Link". Operating system: Windows 10, Windows 11, Android.

The website is https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/sync-across-your-devices

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users