Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Greek tense of words & verbs

22 replies to this topic

#21 Brian Mallalieu

Brian Mallalieu

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire, UK

Posted 10 November 2022 - 03:54 PM

Katoog, there seems to be an additional post missing, because I added a later sentence to say that BHS5 has appeared in Bibles.  So, it would appear everything has worked, unless I have missed doing something?  However, not being a Hebrew speaker or reader, BHS5 is not much use to me, lacking an associated English translation with it, and unlike the Greek NT in esword, with both, there doesn't seem to be a Hebrew similar one available!  However, I can get round the shortcoming by using one of my Strong's Bible versions.

Thanks for your reply above.  I'm OK for Strong's numbers as I have 3 Bible versions with such numbers, as well as a Strong's dictionary next to SECE+.

Does Hebrew have corresponding morphological tenses, voices & moods like Greek?  I note in ETCBC there is some similar info but not the same.

Edited by Brian Mallalieu, 10 November 2022 - 04:18 PM.

#22 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 10 November 2022 - 07:31 PM

Does Hebrew have corresponding morphological tenses, voices & moods like Greek?  I note in ETCBC there is some similar info but not the same.

Now, that is an interesting question.

I don't think that there is such an actual resource like what you see for the Greek available for e-Sword. The closest thing I can think of, which leans toward that for e-Sword, is the KJV+TVM Strong's Dictionary.

X (formerly Twitter)

#23 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 01:17 AM

For the tenses: no, Bibical Hebrew have "perfect state" and "imperfect state" while Greek have "perfect tense" and "imperfect tense".
The Greek "perfect tense"(finished past) and "imperfect tense"(unfinished past) are past.
While the Biblical Hebrew "perfect state" and "imperfect state" can be in the past, present, future (or even a combination).
But in Modern Hebrew is "imperfect state" future tense.

For example the name of God: "Eheyeh asher Eheyeh" or "Ehejeh asher Ehejeh" in Exo 3:14
Eheyeh is in the first person singular in "imperfect state" based on the verb "be"
And "asher" means "that" or "who".
It is translated in Greek as "Εγω ειμι ὁ Ων"(I AM the being) and in the KJV as "I AM THAT I AM" as the Latin "ego sum qui sum" while I use future tense in my translation.
Biblical "imperfect state" because He is an eternal being. (past, present and future).
So that hard to translate in any other language that lacks Biblical "imperfect state".

The Greek aorist is a tense that start in the past (a snapshot in the past) BUT can end in the past, present or future.
English do not have an aorist tense.

"loved" is in "aorist tense" and it is not only in the past.
Joh 15:9  As the Father loved Me, I also loved you: continue[abide] ye in My love.

This is too complex to explain in one post.
https://www.hebrew4c...troduction.html

You have what you need in this topic.

Edited by Katoog, 11 November 2022 - 01:36 AM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users