Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Greek tense of words & verbs

22 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Mallalieu

Brian Mallalieu

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire, UK

Posted 23 October 2022 - 04:12 PM

Is there an existing layman's esword downloadable program/add-in/extension/plugin that simply indicates/states the tenses of the Greek text words & verbs?   And, what about Hebrew too?

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 23 October 2022 - 08:25 PM

Is there an existing layman's esword downloadable program/add-in/extension/plugin that simply indicates/states the tenses of the Greek text words & verbs?   And, what about Hebrew too?

Hi Brian,

The information you are looking for is actually found in either a Dictionary/Lexicon or a Commentary resource.

For Hebrew tenses, I suggest Brown, Driver, Brigg's Hebrew Definition, as it gives the different Stems of a word. The BDB can be downloaded and installed from the built in e-Sword Download Manager.

For Greek, there's a Strong's Tense, Voice, and Mood Lexicon for e-Sword running around. As to where, I have no idea. This resource runs best with the KJV+TVM edition of the Bible for e-Sword. As to whether or not these resources are available on here, that I don't know.

That said,  flick me a message with your email address, and I'll see what I can do for you. Whatever happens, happens. And if it doesn't, there's no love lost. But I will do my best.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 23 October 2022 - 08:26 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 23 October 2022 - 11:23 PM

I use Robinson Greek Morphology codes in my RTR+M (module Restored Textus Receptus with Strongs and parsing info).

Only verbs have a tense. So every code with V- is a verb in "Robinson's Morphological Analysis Codes"

https://wiki.logos.c...orphology_Codes

• A – Aorist
  • A2 – Second Aorist
  • F – Future
  • F2 – Second Future
  • I – Imperfect
  • L – Pluperfect
  • L2 – Second Pluperfect
  • P – Present
  • R – Perfect
  • R2 – Second Perfect
  • V – Adverbial Imperative
  • X – No Voice Stated

V-A??-??? and V-A2??-??? are Aorist verbs

___

There is a "Robinson's Morphological Analysis Codes" in the downloadable dictionary of the e-Sword.

MLVDC+G "Modern Literal Version Concordance, Dictionary & Lexicon Greek Concordance" also supports it.

For Hebrew is there the ETCBC commentary by Eliran Wong by the  Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (Fifth Revised Edition) modules.

Edited by Katoog, 23 October 2022 - 11:34 PM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#4 Brian Mallalieu

Brian Mallalieu

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire, UK

Posted 24 October 2022 - 03:39 AM

Thanks, both of you for your immediate response & suggestions.  I already had downloaded BDB & have now added RMAC, but having done a quick check on John 3:16 no 'i' came up on RMAC (was I doing something wrong or looking in the wrong downloads location ?).  I stress as well 'LAYMAN' and what I was really looking for I suppose was a Bible version like e.g. John Darby's, where he included suffix letters in the text (tooltips) that provided some textual analysis (i.e. tense, voice, mood) --- like the Wiki codes you have included above Katoog?  Which Greek resources were you referring to & where Stephen (APsit190) (there are 3 under Robinson in this Bible Support's downloads?  And, Katoog were you refering to the first or last of Wong's Hebrew ETCBC three in this Bible Support's downloads search?  Thanks, APsit190, for your kind offer & my email is <brian.mallalieu@gmail.com>

Edited by Brian Mallalieu, 24 October 2022 - 09:18 AM.

#5 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 05:02 AM

Download a Greek source with Morphological Codes (here in blue).

Here John 3:16 as example.

Joh 3:16  ουτωςG3779 ADV γαρG1063 CONJ ηγαπησενG25 V-AAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM θεοςG2316 N-NSM τονG3588 T-ASM κοσμονG2889 N-ASM ωστεG5620 CONJ τονG3588 T-ASM υιονG5207 N-ASM αυτουG846 P-GSM τονG3588 T-ASM μονογενηG3439 A-ASM εδωκενG1325 V-AAI-3S ιναG2443 CONJ παςG3956 A-NSM οG3588 T-NSM πιστευωνG4100 V-PAP-NSM ειςG1519 PREP αυτονG846 P-ASM μηG3361 PRT-N αποληταιG622 V-2AMS-3S αλλG235 CONJ εχηG2192 V-PAS-3S ζωηνG2222 N-ASF αιωνιονG166 A-ASF

With RMAC dictionary can click on the code to see the meaning of the code:

If you click on V-AAI-3S then see you "Verb, Aorist, Active, Indicative, third, Singular" in the RMAC dictionary

or with the MLVDC+G that has also the special Strong's Numbers used for the old and copyrighted KJV+TVM module that APsit190 wrote about.

For the Hebrew OT need you only use the ETCBC commentary if you select a verse.

There is a translation, Hebrew source, transliteration and root word in the ETCBC commentary.

http://www.biblesupp...os-ipad-iphone/

download

ETCBC.cmti.zip 13.52MB

This is for all the new editions of e-Sword. Or for e-Sword 11 until e-Sword 13 PC.

#6 Brian Mallalieu

Brian Mallalieu

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire, UK

Posted 24 October 2022 - 09:33 AM

Thanks, Katoog, for you rapid response again.  I have the ABP+ download (which is in English, as you no doubt know) & attempted to do what you have so helpfully shown.  I clearly need to download a Greek version & there are several offered, besides the ABP.  Do you have a suggestion for one?  Which one have you used in your illustration, please?

Does the Hebrew ETCBC module run OK on W10 on my laptop?

Regards & thanks.

#7 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 11:21 AM

http://www.biblesupp...extus-receptus/

The rtr+m.bbli module is what I used in the illustration there is also an older version in it for e-Sword 9 or 10.

This is based on a reprint of the TR1550 and use Accents,  interlinear, Strong's numbers and morphology.

http://www.biblesupp...d-parsing-info/

I use Win 10 but you need a good Hebrew font. I use Ezra SIL for the Hebrew font and Galatia SIL for the Greek font.

To install Ezra SIL need you to download

https://software.sil.org/ezra/

open EzraSIL-2.51.zip and copy SILEOTSR.ttf

dubble click to install it in Win 10 and restart.

start e-Sword and click on Options and Font settings

there can you select the Font for Hebrew.

Edited by Katoog, 24 October 2022 - 11:30 AM.

#8 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 24 October 2022 - 10:43 PM

Download a Greek source with Morphological Codes (here in blue).

Here John 3:16 as example.

Joh 3:16  ουτωςG3779 ADV γαρG1063 CONJ ηγαπησενG25 V-AAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM θεοςG2316 N-NSM τονG3588 T-ASM κοσμονG2889 N-ASM ωστεG5620 CONJ τονG3588 T-ASM υιονG5207 N-ASM αυτουG846 P-GSM τονG3588 T-ASM μονογενηG3439 A-ASM εδωκενG1325 V-AAI-3S ιναG2443 CONJ παςG3956 A-NSM οG3588 T-NSM πιστευωνG4100 V-PAP-NSM ειςG1519 PREP αυτονG846 P-ASM μηG3361 PRT-N αποληταιG622 V-2AMS-3S αλλG235 CONJ εχηG2192 V-PAS-3S ζωηνG2222 N-ASF αιωνιονG166 A-ASF

With RMAC dictionary can click on the code to see the meaning of the code:

If you click on V-AAI-3S then see you "Verb, Aorist, Active, Indicative, third, Singular" in the RMAC dictionary

or with the MLVDC+G that has also the special Strong's Numbers used for the old and copyrighted KJV+TVM module that APsit190 wrote about.

For the Hebrew OT need you only use the ETCBC commentary if you select a verse.

There is a translation, Hebrew source, transliteration and root word in the ETCBC commentary.

http://www.biblesupp...os-ipad-iphone/

download

ETCBC.cmti.zip 13.52MB

This is for all the new editions of e-Sword. Or for e-Sword 11 until e-Sword 13 PC.

To add to what Katoog shared... Well there's that one.

Then there's this one:

Attached File  IGNT.jpg   117.93K   11 downloads

Which I find is much better.

You can download this IGNT+ using the e-Sword built in download manager.

Blessings,

Stephen (Php 1:21).

X (formerly Twitter)

#9 Brian Mallalieu

Brian Mallalieu

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire, UK

Posted 27 October 2022 - 08:12 AM

My grateful thanks again to both of you for your recommendations. I have downloaded both of Katoog's Greek files from BS, as well as Stephen's IGNT from esword already into my esword folder. Whereas the latter I was accustomed to the normal esword file opening/install process, I am unfamiliar with how to install your two files, Katoog. Do I just double click on them & it will be added to esword, & do I do them in a particular order? Stephen, can you please kindly enlighten me what the greyed out verse cells in the IGNT+ mean?

Edited by Brian Mallalieu, 27 October 2022 - 08:44 AM.

#10 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 08:38 AM

You need only to double click the zip file to open the zip folder.

And move/copy the BBLI files to the e-Sword folder.

C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword

rtr+m.bbli is what you need.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users