Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Jewish Encyclopedia update 10/19/22

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 19 October 2022 - 01:41 PM

The project to create a module from The Jewish Encylopedia 1906 is still ongoing but slowly to due certain issues that becoming quiet frustrating. 

Overall The Jewish Encyclopedia has 15000+ entries which take up 12 print volumes, as there is no workable source material in either PDF or MS-Word format I have to rely on The Jewish Encyclopedia website. This means that I have to copy each entry from the website into Tooltip one at a time in order to create the module. This is very time consuming but I can and do work quickly.

The biggest problem I have run into is that many of the entries include images such as photos, sketches, and tables. For some reason I cannot seem to figure out, images in certain entries will not appear when viewing the module in e-Sword's Dictionary window. Most of the images work but as I said some will not. I have made repeated attempts to get the problem images to work but with no luck. 

I am going to continue to work on this project and hopefully get everything working correctly. If anyone as any insight into this image issue your help will be greatly appreciated. 

As of this post I have created module entries for all of The Jewish Encyclopedia that start with the letter A, this project will take time so please be patient.

If anyone wants to collaborate on this project I will welcome the help

TJ  

#2 gad4

gad4

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 October 2022 - 05:33 PM

All your help is appreciated.

I'm curious if the following would work:

1. Get a web crawler to save the htm files
2. Combine them to one with a combine program
3. In ms word ( or another editor ) remove code with search replace

Best

George

#3 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 19 October 2022 - 06:00 PM

All your help is appreciated.

I'm curious if the following would work:

1. Get a web crawler to save the htm files
2. Combine them to one with a combine program
3. In ms word ( or another editor ) remove code with search replace

Best

George

That is a good idea but not practical given how e-Sword Dictionaries have to be set up in order for e-Sword to display the informat correctly, 

Another issue with the Jewish Encyclopedia website is that while of the greek text is text, all of the Hebrew text is in very small images.

#4 gad4

gad4

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 08:05 AM

I noticed the Jewish encyclopedia is also available on logos inexpensively.

https://www.logos.co...sh-encyclopedia

If it saves time and is easier from that, it might be more practical

#5 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 09:15 AM

I noticed the Jewish encyclopedia is also available on logos inexpensively.

https://www.logos.co...sh-encyclopedia

If it saves time and is easier from that, it might be more practical

Logos modules cannot be used with e-Sword although i will keep it in mind

#6 gad4

gad4

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 09:20 AM

Can you cut paste (or export) the material to a word document from logos . Then format it for esword as an rtf?

I don't know if that's an easier way.

If the pictures are the concern, a module without pictures would still be useful.

Edited by gad4, 20 October 2022 - 09:47 AM.

#7 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 10:04 AM

Simpler to use the Logos version, in Logos. It has text Hebrew, not images. Topic links work properly. Good formatting. All the images will work.....

#8 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 11:12 AM

Simpler to use the Logos version, in Logos. It has text Hebrew, not images. Topic links work properly. Good formatting. All the images will work.....

The request that started this was for an e-Sword version which I have no problem making and if I have to skip some images I will

#9 gad4

gad4

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 01:21 PM

Please forgive me if I'm repetitive. Its just wanting to make sure that i spoke clearly for you to evaluate.

We appreciate you making an esword version which is what we want and of great value. None of us want an logos module.

The question was if the data for the esword module would work better coming from the logos module than the je.com web page. I don't know which is a better source and anything is appreciated. If jps has access to this maybe he can export it to a file for you to make an esword module.

However to decide to make this module we are all very grateful.

If only some images are a problem I'm wondering if there is a specific problem with those images. It could be invalid file type, invalid characters in file name or corrupt images.If converting the problem images would solve the problem, i would be glad to attempt saving them to your specifications. If it is more convenient to skip the problem images that is fine also.

We all appreciate this humongous task you are doing and it will be an amazing resource

Edited by gad4, 20 October 2022 - 02:02 PM.

#10 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 03:38 PM

Please forgive me if I'm repetitive. Its just wanting to make sure that i spoke clearly for you to evaluate.

We appreciate you making an esword version which is what we want and of great value. None of us want an logos module.

The question was if the data for the esword module would work better coming from the logos module than the je.com web page. I don't know which is a better source and anything is appreciated. If jps has access to this maybe he can export it to a file for you to make an esword module.

However to decide to make this module we are all very grateful.

If only some images are a problem I'm wondering if there is a specific problem with those images. It could be invalid file type, invalid characters in file name or corrupt images.If converting the problem images would solve the problem, i would be glad to attempt saving them to your specifications. If it is more convenient to skip the problem images that is fine also.

We all appreciate this humongous task you are doing and it will be an amazing resource

I would use Logos if I could but I do not have Logos I only have e-Sword and a few Android bible Apps right now.

I can create the module from the Jewish Encyclopedia website it will just take time to complete but i do work quickly so things will move smoothly

As for the image issue it seems to only be a few images that do not work so I do not know what the issue actually is. All of the images are jpeg files and tooltip has image settings that do not work with certain images from time to time. 

I have broken the module down into small sections as I go so fixing things will be easy, it is just a matter of figuring out what to fix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users