Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

e-sword LT URL SCHEME

13 replies to this topic

#1 gngon

gngon

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 30 August 2022 - 06:38 AM

Hi all,

Did someone know how URL scheme work in e-sword LT (Iphone, Ipad) ?

For exemple, when i put this link e-sword://Matthew3:11 in my Notes Application,  e-sword is not opened with the good reference.

Thank you for your help

#2 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 30 August 2022 - 07:04 AM

First of all, gngon, did you actually download the version of e-Sword HD for the iPad from (https://www.e-sword.net/ipad/) onto your iPad?
Secondly, did you then actually download the following version of e-Sword LT for the iPhone from (https://www.e-sword.net/iphone/) onto your iPhone?
These are stand-alone applications, which run on your own device when you have opened the e-Sword app there.
e-Sword is not referring to any e-Sword mainframe computer, to access different versions and translations and languages of the Holy Bible, Old Testament, Apocrypha, or New Testament. You will have to look up the reference to a selected version of the Bible that you have personally downloaded to your device, from e-Sword, on that specific device, either on your iPad or on your iPhone. From your e-Sword on your device, you can access the Bible reference, in the Bible that you downloaded to that version of e-Sword.

HOW DO I USE E-SWORD LT? Rick Meyers, the developer, writes on the FAQ page for the e-Sword for the iPhone web site,

An excellent demo which demonstrates the basic functionality and options is available here:

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 30 August 2022 - 07:15 AM.

#3 gngon

gngon

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 30 August 2022 - 01:43 PM

First of all, gngon, did you actually download ...

Thank you very much!

I certainly misstated my request.
I already use e-sword and its basic features. What I want is to know the syntax to put links in the Notes application for example, so that when I select these links they open the corresponding passage in e-sword. I know it starts with e-sword://... but I don't know in which format to put the verse that should be displayed by e-sword. I tried e-sword://Matthew3:11 or e-sword://Mat3:11 etc. e-sword launches but does not select the passage indicated.

God Bless

Edited by gngon, 31 August 2022 - 07:25 AM.

#4 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 30 August 2022 - 02:00 PM

gngon, do not add any e-Sword:// before the verse. Just write the verse reference just like you see it printed in your paper copy of the Bible. For example, the name of the book a space the number of the chapter followed immediately by a colon and the number of the verse. For abbreviation of the name of the book, use any of the common ones used in your Bible in English. They will work. For example
Matthew 3:11
Mat. 3:11
Let's know if this works okay. There's probably an icon to tap, to make the selected "Mat. 3:11", that is the characters selected, here shown inside double quotes, to appear as a Bible reference having a hyperlink to the Bible which you have selected.

See if there is an option to access a tutorial. If so, select that, and work through it. That there is an option to see a tutorial, is mentioned on 

https://www.e-sword.net/iphone/index.htm#features and this is also mentioned on https://www.e-sword.net/ipad/index.htm#features

INTEGRATED EDITOR
for creating your own study notes, even with images. Rich text notes are "linked" to the Bible for easy viewing as popup tooltips!

e-Sword HD is so easy to use you may never need to tap on the Help button!

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 01 September 2022 - 12:24 PM.

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 30 August 2022 - 03:49 PM

See if there is an option to access a tutorial. If so, select that, and work through it. It is mentioned on 

https://www.e-sword.net/iphone/index.htm#features and mentioned on https://www.e-sword.net/ipad/index.htm#features

INTEGRATED EDITOR
for creating your own study notes, even with images. Rich text notes are "linked" to the Bible for easy viewing as popup tooltips!

e-Sword HD is so easy to use you may never need to tap on the Help button!

As far as I am aware (and I could be wrong about that) there are no tutorials for e-Sword LT (HT or X). And neither is there a User Guide for iOS and Mac e-Sword users. So when it comes to help for them in any of these formats (pdf or mp4), they're pretty much stuffed.

The problem exists mainly for two reasons:

1. e-Sword for iOS and Mac users are pretty much a niche area, and so are far and few between in comparison to Windows users, which then results in no one has gone to the extent of doing any work in creating any help resource for them.
  2. e-Sword for iOS and Mac users are pretty much lazy, or that its beneath their dignity when it comes to creating tutorials and/or user guides (plus a heap of other content), and have an unrealistic expectation that us Windows users should do their work for them.

So, you can take your pick as to which one is the core reason for their dilemma.

Edited by APsit190, 30 August 2022 - 03:56 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#6 modulist

modulist

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 30 August 2022 - 05:57 PM

e-Sword for iOS and Mac users are pretty much lazy, or that its beneath their dignity when it comes to creating tutorials and/or user guides (plus a heap of other content), and have an unrealistic expectation that us Windows users should do their work for them.

I must say that I am getting quite sick and tired of your rants against Mac users. How many do you know personally? How do you know that they are "pretty much lazy," or that it is "beneath their dignity when it comes to creating tutorials and/or user guides (plus a heap of other content)"?

How many Windows users have created tutorials for e-Sword that are available on this website? Basically one, Josh Bond. Moreover, that user guide hasn't been updated for many years. Why? Because Josh Bond is "lazy"? No. Probably because he's too busy to do so.

How many Windows users have created utilities for creating or else editing e-Sword modules? Very few (one might agree only one: Brent Hildebrand). You'd think with the much larger pool of Windows users there should be more. Maybe they're all just "lazy."

Or maybe only very few are programmers who would be capable of such a complicated enterprise. Someone recently suggested on another thread that you should create a utility for creating e-Sword modules. You declined to do so. Are you "lazy"? I don't think so. I think it is a fairly large undertaking that would take a lot of time, energy, and effort. I'm certainly not going to jump to such a conclusion about your "laziness," not knowing you personally.

Anyway, you're wrong about nobody creating tutorials for iOS or Mac, because Olaf Bacon linked to a tutorial video about e-Sword LT on YouTube.

I'm a Mac user and I've tried to help people on this site as and when I'm able. Many times I don't answer a question that somebody has because I don't know the answer. But if I know the answer, or at least have a suggestion that I think is reasonable, I try to help. So I find your accusations against Mac users kind of offensive.

As per wanting Windows users to do all the work for them, I think you should consider that the e-Sword PC to Apple conversion utility is for Windows only. Rick Meyers never made a Mac version. Hence, a Mac user can't use that application. You have to have Windows to use it. Not every Mac user is going to have a spare PC around to be able to convert modules. And not every user is computer-savvy enough to set up a virtual machine, etc. In fact, I think that a great many users of e-Sword on all platforms are not very computer savvy. Does that make them bad people? Of course not.

I think your first suggestion is more probable: that there just aren't a lot of users of e-Sword on Mac or iOS who frequent these forums. There will be a ton of Windows users who never contribute either. That doesn't make them bad people. Also, e-Sword for Windows has been around a lot longer than e-Sword for the Mac or iOS, so naturally the Windows e-Sword community would be well-established.

I don't mean to be offensive myself, and maybe I'm coming on too strong here. I certainly don't mean to create any hard feelings. But I would say that you should consider Matthew 7:1, "Judge not, that ye be not judged." Sorry for going on so long, but I just had to get it off my chest. Thus endeth my own rant.

Edited by modulist, 30 August 2022 - 06:26 PM.

#7 gngon

gngon

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 30 August 2022 - 11:30 PM

gngon, do not add any e-Sword:// before the verse...

Thank you for your answer. Once again I think I expressed myself badly. The "Notes" app I'm talking about is not an e-sword study note. It is the "Notes" application of IOS. In an external note, it is normally possible in IOS devices, to insert a link on which, if you click, the e-sword application launches and opens on the reference of this link. The syntax of this link must be in the form: e-sword://... I am currently using the "ReadingPlan" application which is able to launch e-sword with the verse of the day. This allows the use of reading plans that are not offered by e-sword or by downloadable modules. It is in this application that I saw that the format of the request to send to e-sword is: e-sword://%@
 where "%@" represents the reference that e-sword must display when it receives this request from the outside. And my question is: in what form should I put this reference so that it also works in my "Notes" application in which I prepare sermons and I want by clicking on these links that e-sword opens with the correct reference.
I hope my explanation is clearer this time.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by gngon, 31 August 2022 - 07:25 AM.

#8 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 31 August 2022 - 12:28 AM

I suggest you contact the developer directly. His email is on the App download page.

#9 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 31 August 2022 - 01:07 AM

... my question is: in what form should I put this reference so that it also works in my "Notes" application in which I prepare sermons and I want by clicking on these links that e-sword opens with the correct reference.
I hope my explanation is clearer this time.
Thanks in advance.

please direct the query to Rick Meyers, the developer of e-Sword for various 32-bit operating systems. The email address of Rick Meyers is rick@e-sword.net

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 01 September 2022 - 12:20 PM.

#10 gngon

gngon

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 31 August 2022 - 07:22 AM

Do I understand that you are trying to use your PC...

You don't got it.

I only use my iPhone.

I am in my "Notes" application on iPhone where i have some links.

For exemple :

biblegateway://bible/Matthew3:13/ESV

e-sword://Matthew3:13

When I touch the first link it opens the biblegateway app at the Matthew 3:11 reference

When I touch the second link, it opens e-sword but does not take into account the reference requested.

In the same iPhone the app ReadingPlan manage to open e-sword with de right reference.

In the app ReadingPlan, the format specified for biblegateway is  biblegateway://bible/%@/ESV

And in the same app, the format specified for e-sword is  e-sword://%@

So the link e-sword://Matthew3:13 should work. But it is not the case. 

Best Regards

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users