Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Custom Personal Dictionary - Entry Limit

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Searcher_KJV

Searcher_KJV

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2022 - 11:42 AM

Hello all,

I'm figuring out how to create my own personal custom dictionary in e-sword using the ToolTip Tool NT v2020.04.11. So far, things are promising. However, before diving in fully, I was wondering if there were limits in a custom dictionary with regards to the number of entries, or amount of text, or final file size of the .dctx file (dictionary file)?

Thanks so much for any insight here.

Eric

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 20 July 2022 - 01:58 PM

Hello all,

I'm figuring out how to create my own personal custom dictionary in e-sword using the ToolTip Tool NT v2020.04.11. So far, things are promising. However, before diving in fully, I was wondering if there were limits in a custom dictionary with regards to the number of entries, or amount of text, or final file size of the .dctx file (dictionary file)?

Thanks so much for any insight here.

Eric

I don't think there are any limits on the number of entries on the amount of text in a dictionary module. As for file size there is no limit there either as there are several large dictionary/encyclopedia modules available. 

One of these is called McClintock's and Strong's Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. The module contains the full 12 volumes of this work in a single file which is over 700 megabytes in size

One more thing I would advise you to do is create your module in the dcti format rather then dctx. The dctx format is limited to use with just the Windows version of e-Sword. Where as the dcti format can be use with all versions of e-Sword including Windows, Apple/Mac, and Android

#3 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 21 July 2022 - 09:59 AM

I don't think there are any limits on the number of entries on the amount of text in a dictionary module. As for file size there is no limit there either as there are several large dictionary/encyclopedia modules available. 

One of these is called McClintock's and Strong's Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. The module contains the full 12 volumes of this work in a single file which is over 700 megabytes in size

One more thing I would advise you to do is create your module in the dcti format rather then dctx. The dctx format is limited to use with just the Windows version of e-Sword. Where as the dcti format can be use with all versions of e-Sword including Windows, Apple/Mac, and Android

Although this is a good idea, my advice is different for very good reason.

If you wish to share your resource I would advise that you actually compile your dictionary in both formats (dctx and dcti), because there are e-Sword users who use older versions which are not compatible to the newer format, particularly versions 10+, 11+, and I think versions 12.00 and 12.01.

That said, its no skin off my nose if you don't because I use the latest and the greatest, and keep e-Sword updated as soon as a new version comes out. But everyone's not like me, and do not regularly update e-Sword. So, I think there is a need to keep these people in the loop.

Blessings,

Autograph.png
Big_Hug.gif

X (formerly Twitter)

#4 modulist

modulist

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 July 2022 - 02:59 PM

If you wish to share your resource I would advise that you actually compile your dictionary in both formats (dctx and dcti), because there are e-Sword users who use older versions which are not compatible to the newer format, particularly versions 10+, 11+, and I think versions 12.00 and 12.01.

Actually, e-Sword versions 11+ and 12+ are all compatible with the new format of module. Support for HTML formatted modules was one of the new features of e-Sword 11, if I'm not mistaken, and that version came out in 2016, if I remember correctly. So a person would have to have a pretty old version of e-Sword not to be able to use the newer module format. Although, if they're still one of those people clinging to Windows XP, they probably have an old version of e-Sword.

That said, using ToolTip, it's pretty easy to make both formats. It's just a matter of whether a person wants to take the trouble to make both. If somebody was only going to make only one format, then go with the .dcti format. It will be more widely compatible than the old one. I personally found that the new format works better or looks better than the old format, even though the old format is still compatible with e-Sword.

Edited by modulist, 21 July 2022 - 03:02 PM.

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 21 July 2022 - 04:51 PM

Actually, e-Sword versions 11+ and 12+ are all compatible with the new format of module. Support for HTML formatted modules was one of the new features of e-Sword 11, if I'm not mistaken, and that version came out in 2016, if I remember correctly. So a person would have to have a pretty old version of e-Sword not to be able to use the newer module format. Although, if they're still one of those people clinging to Windows XP, they probably have an old version of e-Sword.

That said, using ToolTip, it's pretty easy to make both formats. It's just a matter of whether a person wants to take the trouble to make both. If somebody was only going to make only one format, then go with the .dcti format. It will be more widely compatible than the old one. I personally found that the new format works better or looks better than the old format, even though the old format is still compatible with e-Sword.

Thank you for correcting me on that. And so apologize for that.

Giving this even more thought, when it actually comes to the bblx, cmtx and etc, I don't think they would even be compatible for e-Sword versions 9 and 10 because all resources were done in rtf (rich text format). Currently all 1st party (those produced by Rick Meyers and his gang of merry men) bblx and etc resources are now in HTML (Hyper-text Markup Language) format. Moreover, if memory serves me correctly the only resources that are that are spat out in rtf are ones own Topic, Study, and Journal Notes done in e-Sword.

Another thing as well, and this will need to be checked out and tested. I think that the latest version of T4 spits bblx and etc resources in HTML format (and probably Topic Notes).

Blessings,

Stephen (Phi 1:21).

Edited by APsit190, 21 July 2022 - 04:52 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#6 Searcher_KJV

Searcher_KJV

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2022 - 05:50 PM

Thank you everyone! Really appreciate all the help here as well as the insight into the two dictionary formats.

Grace & peace,

Eric

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 21 July 2022 - 06:08 PM

Just to add to what I shared above on the format used in newer bblx formats.

Checked in SQLite DB Browser:

RSV, NKJV, NRSV, NIV & etc. (which I have) bblx Bibles are HTML formatted. So that would also include all premium and free resources accessed from the e-Sword download manager. The only thing is that these are not compatible on e-Sword X, LT, HT, and Android editions.

Just check out bblx files created in last version of T4. This is spat out in rtf code. So I was incorrect with the HTML format bit. Anything that is spat out in HTML in T4 are bbli, cmti, and etc.,

X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users