Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

A curious observation using Search Exact Match ...

5 replies to this topic

#1 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 02:23 PM

e-Sword 11.2.2 with Linux Wine

case in point: en vérité

If I do a search using exact match for 'en vérité', I get 0 results
If I do a search using REGEX for 'en vérité', I get all results
If I do a search using exact match for 'en vérit', I get all results

I used Unicode Character Inspector to analyze 'en vérité', both é had same:

Code UTF-8 UTF-16
00E9 C3A9 E900 LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE Latin-1 Supplement

----------------
So, I'm thinking Exact Match has a problem with words ending with some extended characters.
Really not a problem in itself; just have to use REGEX instead of Exact Match.

Edited by PeanutGallery, 14 July 2022 - 02:24 PM.

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 15 July 2022 - 05:26 PM

e-Sword 11.2.2 with Linux Wine

case in point: en vérité

If I do a search using exact match for 'en vérité', I get 0 results
If I do a search using REGEX for 'en vérité', I get all results
If I do a search using exact match for 'en vérit', I get all results

I used Unicode Character Inspector to analyze 'en vérité', both é had same:

Code UTF-8 UTF-16
00E9 C3A9 E900 LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE Latin-1 Supplement

----------------
So, I'm thinking Exact Match has a problem with words ending with some extended characters.
Really not a problem in itself; just have to use REGEX instead of Exact Match.

Actually you've raised an interesting topic/issue/problem (either one of them or all three of them depending on one's perspective).

Here is the point I'm looking at. Looking at European Roman based languages, such as German, French, Spanish, Italian, and etc.; including Serbian, Croatian, and Polish, which are predominantly Cyrillic based languages but also use Roman letting - all of these languages use tildes and etc for the way a letter is suppose to "sound" and/or a word is to be pronounced.

So, when looking at your Latin thingy (which Latin normally don't have them) in relation to doing searches. Then it would be a total nightmare when it comes to the European languages mentioned above.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 19 July 2022 - 12:39 AM

Please detail your problem with Linux 12.2.2 and contact Rick Meyers, the developer of e-Sword. His email is rick@e-sword.net
In https://www.e-sword.net/changes.html he mentioned, "Bible Search improved to locate words that include accents on the first or last character."

#4 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 05:11 AM

Please detail your problem with Linux 12.2.2 and contact Rick Meyers, the developer of e-Sword. His email is rick@e-sword.net
In https://www.e-sword.net/changes.html he mentioned, "Bible Search improved to locate words that include accents on the first or last character."

I use e-Sword 11.2.2 not 12.2.2; however, it is good to see that the issue has been dealt with in 12.2.0.

I set up 11.2.2 on Linux using Wine; it took awhile to set it up to run flawlessly, even though it does sometimes lag especially when using the dictionaries.  I may try 12.2.0 if 11.2.2 crashes.

Edited by PeanutGallery, 20 July 2022 - 12:02 PM.

#5 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 26 July 2022 - 10:28 AM

I use e-Sword 11.2.2 not 12.2.2; however, it is good to see that the issue has been dealt with in 12.2.0.
I set up 11.2.2 on Linux using Wine; it took awhile to set it up to run flawlessly, even though it does sometimes lag especially when using the dictionaries. I may try 12.2.0 if 11.2.2 crashes.

On the link for e-Sword for Windows, https://www.e-sword.net/faq.html  there is a question: E-SWORD 13 DOESN'T RUN ON LINUX! NOW WHAT?

The answer is given as follows: If you are unable to get the Windows Media Player installed under WINE, then the last stable version of e-Sword on LINUX is version 12.2 which you can download here: And the program module is provided for e-Sword v12.2.0 updated 08-28-2020; so, try that from https://www.e-sword.net/files/e-sword_1220_setup.exe

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 26 July 2022 - 10:31 AM.

#6 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 02:50 PM

... e-Sword v12.2.0 updated 08-28-2020; so, try that from https://www.e-sword.net/files/e-sword_1220_setup.exe

Downloaded; will try once e-Sword 11.2.2 crashes.

Thanks

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users