Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

e-Sword Pro - An Idea

19 replies to this topic

#1 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 25 June 2022 - 05:30 PM

For quite some time I've been thinking of a more advanced type of e-Sword, something along the lines of a version of e-Sword for resource developers. But when I initially had the idea Brent Hildebrand, The author of Tooltip Tool NT was alive, of which he regularly updated it. Now that he had departed from this planet, this program is no longer being maintained, and as such, will eventually become incompatible to future versions of e-Sword for the creation of resources due to the newer versions of Text Controls that will be used.

Moreover I've heard nothing about an alternative resource creation program to be developed to take the place of Tooltip Tool, so the idea of a professional version of e-Sword has resurfaced in my mind.

The Idea (The thought/theory)

• Essentially, the professional version of e-Sword needs to be a premium (paid) version and the standard (what we currently have and use) to remain free
  • In the Professional version the Topic Note Editor will have to be replaced by a much more advanced editor/word processor that will have to have the capabilities to export the resources to their particular formats, such as Bible, Commentary, Dictionary and etc formats.
  • Also the new (for the lack of a better way to describe it) "Resource Editor," with regard for the creation of Topic Note/Reference Book resources will need to be far more advanced for the following functions/capabilities:
    • Creation of Foot Notes and End Notes
    • Creation of Indexes and Bibliographies
    • A far more advanced Toolbar and have its own Menu
    • Have the option to make the "Editor" to be able to be snapped out of and snapped back in to the main interface, and also that it can be able to stand alone in order for e-Sword to be closed/exited.

As you can see, I've given this idea some serious thought, and as such I think you will see the need for this professional edition to be a premium product.

Your thoughts and ideas are welcome. It is my endeavor to bring together the best of your thoughts and ideas and give them to Rick Meyers and see what his thoughts would be.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 25 June 2022 - 08:16 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#2 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 04:55 AM

As long as the e-SwordPro modules remain compatible with current regular e-Sword.

#3 turnsouth

turnsouth

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 06:43 AM

I wonder what Rick and Phil (eStudySource) use?

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 06:20 PM

As long as the e-SwordPro modules remain compatible with current regular e-Sword.

It would. The only difference would be purely able to have the ability to create the main type of resources that are used in standard version of e-Sword, which are your Dictionary, Commentary, Bible, Devotional and etc files. The idea is primarily there to eventually replace T4 (ToolTip Tool NT), and as such would primarily be used by e-Sword content creators/editors.

When it actually comes to file formats, currently e-Sword versions 12 and 13 have been able to read bbli/bblx, cmti/cmtx and etc file types;. So, like T4 what does, I would imagine that e-Sword Pro will have the option to export in both formats. Moreover, in my mind, I think the rtf format should be gradually completely phased out, and considering that both e-Sword Android and iOS/mac uses bbli, cmti, and etc file extensions right throughout, including topi, noti; that all of these extensions should be the default with the Windows version of e-Sword.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 26 June 2022 - 06:25 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 06:39 PM

I wonder what Rick and Phil (eStudySource) use?

Yep, good question. Answer. I think that currently Rick uses T4. But I'm not too certain, so don't take this as definitive.

Blessings,

post-94-0-52125500-1325722973.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#6 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 01:30 PM

This is an excellent idea for an e-Sword Pro version however I have a few suggestions:

Making the program a premium version is good but I would suggest that existing e-Sword users be allowed a free upgrade as an incentive to switch. 

The idea of combining the functionality of both e-Sword and Tooltip NT is is excellent, I would add one more inclusion the ability to convert modules for use with other software packages such as The Word, MySword, Bible Analyzer etc.

Another idea would be for e-Sword Pro to be cross compatible to allow for the use of modules from other Bible programs. Presenlty MySword has this functionality where the program can use modules from e-Sword, The Word, MyBible and USFM modules. 

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 09:26 PM

Making the program a premium version is good but I would suggest that existing e-Sword users be allowed a free upgrade as an incentive to switch. 

Hi Tj,

As a good idea as it is, and I like free and am all for it, yet nevertheless the idea is pretty much self-defeating because costs to the pro edition wont be covered. That said, for the purpose of incentive to upgrade, then perhaps the person gets a discount of the full price, e.g., 25%. One of the reasons for the idea of it being premium, is so whatever the price of it will be, is that it will be able to support the standard (what we use now) version of e-Sword, and Rick Meyers ministry.

The idea of combining the functionality of both e-Sword and Tooltip NT is is excellent, I would add one more inclusion the ability to convert modules for use with other software packages such as The Word, MySword, Bible Analyzer etc.

Yeah, I can go along with that. However permission will be required from the owners of those platforms, and could possibly incur costs. Just to be sure, this thing will need to be investigated and researched to its economic viability.

Another idea would be for e-Sword Pro to be cross compatible to allow for the use of modules from other Bible programs. Presenlty MySword has this functionality where the program can use modules from e-Sword, The Word, MyBible and USFM modules.

Although that in some respects this is a good idea, in fact and excellent idea, it does have a major problem: Copyright!

Perhaps the best example I have for that, is the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, as the major one. Rick is totally unable to get the right to have it as a resource for e-Sword. Just can't get permission. That said, having that kind of product made for a Bible Program that has permission, and have the capability to run on e-Sword, then you could face major law suites from the publisher.

So yeah, good idea, but it has it's limitations.

So with what you shared, I really can go along with, but there are hurdles that needs to be able to get over, and bridges that needs to be crossed.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 27 June 2022 - 09:26 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 10:04 AM

Hi Tj,

As a good idea as it is, and I like free and am all for it, yet nevertheless the idea is pretty much self-defeating because costs to the pro edition wont be covered. That said, for the purpose of incentive to upgrade, then perhaps the person gets a discount of the full price, e.g., 25%. One of the reasons for the idea of it being premium, is so whatever the price of it will be, is that it will be able to support the standard (what we use now) version of e-Sword, and Rick Meyers ministry.

Yeah, I can go along with that. However permission will be required from the owners of those platforms, and could possibly incur costs. Just to be sure, this thing will need to be investigated and researched to its economic viability.

Although that in some respects this is a good idea, in fact and excellent idea, it does have a major problem: Copyright!

Perhaps the best example I have for that, is the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, as the major one. Rick is totally unable to get the right to have it as a resource for e-Sword. Just can't get permission. That said, having that kind of product made for a Bible Program that has permission, and have the capability to run on e-Sword, then you could face major law suites from the publisher.

So yeah, good idea, but it has it's limitations.

So with what you shared, I really can go along with, but there are hurdles that needs to be able to get over, and bridges that needs to be crossed.

Blessings,

By converting modules I meant adding in the functionality of Simple Bible Reader which can be use to convert modules from one program to another. I was not referring to copyrighted materiels being converted just 3rd party modules. 

As for Cross Compatabilty between software packages, again the functionality exists within MySword so it might not be difficult to get permissions. 

Edited by Tj Higgins, 28 June 2022 - 10:06 AM.

#9 gad4

gad4

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 05:17 PM

I'm not an esword user so on one end it doesn't matter to me

I have currently used tooltip etc to share mysword and esword modules

If a situation occurred where things no longer were backwards compatible or that a software purchase would be needed to create modules to share, it could affect new module development.

I like that mysword has been evolving to include some esword modules and the universality of module formats can make development and sharing more flexible.

What I'm not understanding is what a new paid creator would add to the modules that we're not capable of with current tools

Edited by gad4, 28 June 2022 - 05:19 PM.

#10 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 05:59 PM

I'm not an esword user so on one end it doesn't matter to me

I have currently used tooltip etc to share mysword and esword modules

If a situation occurred where things no longer were backwards compatible or that a software purchase would be needed to create modules to share, it could affect new module development.

I like that mysword has been evolving to include some esword modules and the universality of module formats can make development and sharing more flexible.

What I'm not understanding is what a new paid creator would add to the modules that we're not capable of with current tools

The paid creation tool would be part of e-Sword instead of need a separate program like Tooltip

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users