Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

E-Sword 13 and other versions will not complete the installation (windows 10)

27 replies to this topic

#21 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 27 July 2022 - 04:10 AM

Hi Stephen,

Personal opinion. I think T4 will be just fine for the basic modules that users here will be making.

For commercial resources it is much more complex. Publishers supply data in various formats, epub, docx, rtf, pdf, html, xhtml, usfm, and in-house standard formats, etc. So these sort of data need to be made with code of some sort built into the program so that there is a repeatable way of parsing the data to the needed format/tags that makes sense to e-Sword.

It seems strange that out of 215000 members of this forum that only Brent Hildebrand made a tool for making modules. There was one other by Raymond Barone, that made a tool that could make modules for theWord, e-Sword, and MySword, but of course he left the forum for some reason.... and he never released it officially.

#22 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 27 July 2022 - 12:41 PM

Hi Stephen,

Personal opinion. I think T4 will be just fine for the basic modules that users here will be making.

For commercial resources it is much more complex. Publishers supply data in various formats, epub, docx, rtf, pdf, html, xhtml, usfm, and in-house standard formats, etc. So these sort of data need to be made with code of some sort built into the program so that there is a repeatable way of parsing the data to the needed format/tags that makes sense to e-Sword.

It seems strange that out of 215000 members of this forum that only Brent Hildebrand made a tool for making modules. There was one other by Raymond Barone, that made a tool that could make modules for theWord, e-Sword, and MySword, but of course he left the forum for some reason.... and he never released it officially.

The last two versions of Tooltip released in 2020 seem to have a few bugs that still need working out. 

#23 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 27 July 2022 - 01:29 PM

The last two versions of Tooltip released in 2020 seem to have a few bugs that still need working out. 

I hate stating the obvious, but its a tad impossible for Bret to iron out any bugs in these versions let alone anything else for that matter.

Uh-uh.gif
Gotta be a worry.

Blessings

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 27 July 2022 - 01:30 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#24 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 July 2022 - 09:31 PM

Hi Stephen,

Hi Jon,

Of the 215000 members I'm kind of wondering how many of them are programmers, as in those who create software for PCs of any stripe, which would also include working for Software houses, i.e., Microsoft, Corel, IBM, and etc, and those who are like me, who are mainly retired and just keep their nose in the game as more of a hobby and something to do.

On a personal note: I'm currently 73, and about the most successful program I've written which went international, is the e-Sword Menu Installer (written in C#), which has thus far enjoyed 1,268 downloads, of which I'm truly grateful and thankful.

With that said, I'm giving it some real serious thought of uploading the entire source code and project files for this program up here, so that it can be continued to be maintained and kept up-to-date with future versions of e-Sword after I have left this planet. Moreover, the source code of this program can be used for the creation of a Mac edition. As a matter of interest, there is a Mac version of Visual Studio Community Edition for anyone who may want to take this up.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 27 July 2022 - 09:32 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#25 Rgill

Rgill

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 06:03 AM

Version 13, to be fully functional must have an internet connection. This can cause it to be very slow to load, 1m 5sec. to as long as 2m with no indication it is loading and sometimes errors installing. I have found that if I disable all wifi and Ethernet connections from my computer it loads normally. I have fiber optic wifi but it’s speed can vary greatly which accounts for the varying speed of loading.

A good fix would be to stop the internet connection until needed and place a button on the main screen to connect as needed. This would take some code changes in the executable program.

I would love to have the text color change portion in options back as in version 10, I and others have missed that option.

Hope this helps Though I have no fixes myself.

Thanks, RDG

Edited by Rgill, 31 July 2022 - 06:05 AM.

#26 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:59 PM

Version 13, to be fully functional must have an internet connection. This can cause it to be very slow to load, 1m 5sec. to as long as 2m with no indication it is loading and sometimes errors installing. I have found that if I disable all wifi and Ethernet connections from my computer it loads normally. I have fiber optic wifi but it’s speed can vary greatly which accounts for the varying speed of loading.

A good fix would be to stop the internet connection until needed and place a button on the main screen to connect as needed. This would take some code changes in the executable program.

I would love to have the text color change portion in options back as in version 10, I and others have missed that option.

Thanks, RDG

My Desktop PC is directly connected to the Modem-Router, and have fiber. My internet speed is 950 Mbps (Mega bits per second). My e-Sword takes about 40 seconds to load, which isn't too bad considering the amount of resources it has to load. Moreover, when I compare this to my last computer, the time it actually takes to load now, I consider that as quite fast. On my last computer e-Sword took about 3 minutes to load. So, there we go.

By the way, on my current machine e-Sword has to load a total of 607 resources; hence the big grunt it takes to load.

'Nother thing, I dunno if you're working from a laptop or a desktop PC, but either way if your study desk is close to your fiber box and Modem-Router, I suggest you get yourself a CAT.5E data cable and plug it into your Laptop or Desktop PC and Modem Router. You should then experience a significant improvement of performance. When it comes to WiFi, just use your mobile devices, as in phone and/or tablet for that, and if your printer is WiFi capable, connect that as well.

Trust that you find this information helpful.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 31 July 2022 - 08:30 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#27 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:01 AM

Thanks, RDG

The site to mention this issue is the one where you got the e-Sword program from... www.e-sword.net On that page there is a tab.. "Contact", and a form to fill in.

#28 Rgill

Rgill

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 06:12 AM

The site to mention this issue is the one where you got the e-Sword program from... www.e-sword.net On that page there is a tab.. "Contact", and a form to fill in.

I did send this exact message to that contact tab. Hope to help make things somewhat better. I have used e-Sword for many years and love it. I've tried several such programs and always concluded that, for me, this is the best. I haven't been able to contribute much money, maybe a little helpful knowledge would make up for that. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users