Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Bible Shootout Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

---

e-Sword will not return matches for Greek characters when those characters are unicode, at least with the resources I have. Lack of greek/hebrew searching in the number one complaint I hear. Maybe something to do with vowel points? I believe it's a limitation of Visual Basic, at least for now. Or maybe I'm just not using the e-Sword resource you are?

The only other way resources can show Greek is using a specific font which renders characters as Greek, and searching with those is possible, I possible, although the search input text would appear as garbled text.

#12 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

e-Sword will not return matches for Greek characters when those characters are unicode,

The ability of e-Sword to search Unicode literally depends upon which version of e-Sword is being used.

Maybe something to do with vowel points?

e-Sword search does not consistently handle Hebrew vowel points, and Greek diacritic marks. Part of it is becuase there are three (¿four?) different ways to create Unicode glyphs that contain Greek diacritic marks. There are two (¿three?)different ways to create Unicode glyphs that contain Hebrew cantillation and vowel marks.

If it is possible, I will go even further out on my little limb here saying it's very complicated using "special" modules.

It requires resources that have been specifically crafted for search.
The fifth criteria in the 2009 SBL Software Shootout is extremely complicated, even with the auxillary tools I have.

I'm hoping that someone with the requisite knowledge will deign to enlighten us.

Right now, I am rewriting Volumes 3 & 4:
  • Volume 3: Your Spiritual Journal : 1 500 pages;
  • Volume 4: Bible Study Methods : 1 500 pages;
The theory is that after the rewrite, people will be able to use them as is. IOW, instead of a brief explanation that may, but usually does not contain any examples, I'll have between three and a dozen examples for each line of each worksheet. Whilst it ends up repititious, it also means that there are more opportunities for people to understand what I'm writing. Which means that they are better equipped to put the material into practice.

When I rewrite Volume Six, I may include precise, detailed instructions on how to craft the resources described in Volume Eight.

jonathon

#13 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

and some auxiliary tools, e-Sword can complete all of those functions.

The fifth criteria in the 2009 SBL Software Shootout is extremely complicated, even with the auxillary tools I have.

In those two mesages, amongst others, I've mentioned some of the available auxillary tools I can utilize.

I've flip flopped over submitting the source code to Rick, for inclusion in e-Sword.

In brief:

Search component:
* ESL Search;
* Proximity Search (Cross chapters);
* Proximity Search (Cross books);
This would be an enhancement of the current Search component;

Lexical Component:
* Sentence Diagramming;
* Lexical analysis;
* Morphological analysis;
* Tag Clouds;
This would be a rewrite, with enhancements of the current "Verse Analysis" component.

My Translation of the Bible:
* Select a source language text;
* Translate it into your target language;
* It automatically adds your translated text to the verses in the Bible where the same text is used in the source language text;
IOW, this would bring the functionality that BibleStudy2009 offers, directly into e-Sword.

Interlinear/Reverse Interlinear component:
* This automatically creates a custom Interlinear/Reverse Interlinear Bible on the fly.
It does not create a resource that can be used/migrated elsewhere;

Lectionary/Daily Office/Parshiyot Readings component:
* Thow in the resource, and it automatically calculates, and displays the appropriate readings for the day;
This would be an enhancement of the current "Devotion" component.

Pericope markers:
* Automatically insert pericope headings at the appropriate places;
This would be an addition/enhancement to the Bible component.

Strong Numbers/Z Numbers:
* Automatically insert Strong Numbers/Z Numbers, etc at the appropriate places;

V11N Cross-referencing:
* Enable other versification schemes to be used within e-Sword, automatically lining up the passages, correctly;

Automatic Red Letter:
* Words of Jesus;
* Words of God;
* Words of the Holy Spirit;

Dramatize The Bible:
* Colour words that are spoken. Each speaker has a different colour;
Source code can be found in Dramatizer: http://code.google.com/p/dramatizer/. This is distributed under a MIT License, and hence can be included within e-Sword.

Other:
* Gematria Analysis;
* Zoom (Time);
* Zoom (Location);
* Zoom (Person);

The question I keep asking myself is: "How useful would these be to other people". Just becuase they scratch my itch, that doesn't mean that they scratch anybody else's itch. Some of these are things that most users would never learn how to use. (Gematria analysis, for example.) For most of these functions, there are work arounds, but they tend to be awkward to use.

I guess it comes down to three questions:
  • Which of these need more explanation?
  • Which of these would be more suitable for inclusion in e-Sword?
  • Which of these would be more suitable for tools that anybody can use, to create resources that produce the same effect?
jonathon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users