Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Bible Shootout Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:57 AM

The current acid test of Biblical Software, is the ability of the software to complete all five criteria laid out in the 2009 SBL Biblical Software Shootout. By using custom created resources, that are not legally re-distributable, and some auxiliary tools, e-Sword can complete all of those functions.

As I understand it the criteria for the 2009 SBL Biblical Software Shootout is as follows:

Give the parsing of a word and its meaning from a standard source.
Show all the occurrences of a word in the NT and LXX and show the Hebrew word which corresponds with the Greek in the LXX (if there is a correspondence).
Find all the occurrences of οἰ δὲ in Matthew’s gospel followed by a finite verb within the clause.
I want to study a part of speech, e. g., demonstrative pronouns or interjections. How do I get all of the lemmas for that part of speech, get all the occurrences of those lemmas, and the results organized in such a way that I could write an article/monograph on that part of speech from the data?
I want to study the inflections of the Hebrew middle weak verb, and I want to see what the range of possible variations are for each of the conjugations (perfect, imperative, etc.) person, number, gender, stem. This means I need to find all the middle weak verbs, find all their occurrences, and organize them in such a way that the variation of their inflections are immediately apparent. The goal of the data organization would be to allow me to write an article about the variations of the Hebrew middle weak verb.

I personally would like to see a training video on how to accomplish those tasks using e-Sword. Truth be known, I do not understand half of what all that means. Therefore, I personally would find it to be quite educational. That accomplishing some (many?, all?) of the criteria would be depenant on "custom created resources, that are not legally re-distributable" should not be troubling since they would only be demononstrated and not distrubuted.

Are you up for the challenge, Jonathon? or anyone else for that matter? Come on! Show us the stuff of which e-Sword is made.

Edited by Josh Bond, 02 November 2011 - 12:53 PM.
Topic split to avoid cluttering the e-Sword 10 topic

Posted Image

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

I really don't understand much of that either. I too would like to see such a video with an explanation as it plays.

#3 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

Are you up for the challenge, Jonathon?

The Volumes in This Series
The following is a list of volumes titles, and approximate
size:
♰ Volume 1: Program Introduction : 2 500 pages;
♰ Volume 2: Obtaining Support : 250 pages;
♰ Volume 3: Your Spiritual Journal : 1 500 pages;
♰ Volume 4: Bible Study Methods : 1 500 pages;
♰ Volume 5: e- Sword Internal Numbers : 5 000 pages;
♰ Volume 6: Creating Resources : 2 500 pages;
♰ Volume 7: Best Practices : 50 pages;
♰ Volume 8: The 2009 SBL Bible Software Shoot-out : 500 pages;
♰ Volume 9: Accessibility Issues and e- Sword : 500 pages;

jonathon

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

The Volumes in This Series
The following is a list of volumes titles, and approximate
size:
♰ Volume 1: Program Introduction : 2 500 pages;
♰ Volume 2: Obtaining Support : 250 pages;
♰ Volume 3: Your Spiritual Journal : 1 500 pages;
♰ Volume 4: Bible Study Methods : 1 500 pages;
♰ Volume 5: e- Sword Internal Numbers : 5 000 pages;
♰ Volume 6: Creating Resources : 2 500 pages;
♰ Volume 7: Best Practices : 50 pages;
♰ Volume 8: The 2009 SBL Bible Software Shoot-out : 500 pages;
♰ Volume 9: Accessibility Issues and e- Sword : 500 pages;

jonathon

Is all that written or planned to be written? If I'd written 500 pages of SBL Shootout explanations, I'd have posted it by now. A youtube video could explain that in far less time it would take to write the 500 pages.

#5 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

I too would like to see such a video with an explanation as it plays.

For YouTube, it would have to be five videos. One for each listed criteria.
Depending upon file size, it might require more than one video per criteria.

Two potential problems:
  • Requests for the resources I use, that are not legally re-distributable;
  • Complaints, Support Requests, etc to Rick, because they can't replicate the video;
As far as the first issue goes, users will have to wait for OpenScriptures to release their material.

The easy way to address the second issue, is to clear the video with Rick, and send him a copy of the tools I use. (In an ideal world, he'd incorporate them into e-Sword. OTOH, that would also stray very far from the "e-Sword is a tool for new Christians who are naive computer users" that has been design philosophy of e-Sword for the last decade. )

jonathon

#6 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

Is all that written or planned to be written?

Most of it is written. The rest is a comprehensive outline. All screenshots need to be retaken.

Rick thinks the entire thing is way to technical for anybody else to follow. (He's probably right. Section six is more akin to an internal document for full time resource creators, than something for end users. Section Five is useful only for program implementers, when they need to be able to correctly switch between versification schemes.)

A youtube video could explain that in far less time it would take to write the 500 pages.

Unless I'm doing raw footage/unedited screen shot videos, it takes me far longer to create and edit a video, than text. There are also far more potential copyright issues with video, than with text;

jonathon

#7 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

I just thought I would bump this topic. I would love to see how the tasks are accomplished. I still must plead ignorance to what a lot of the "technical" words mean so I strongly suspect that the solutions would be very educational on several levels. I'm hoping that someone with the requisite knowledge will deign to enlighten us.

Edited by Ebed Doulos, 15 March 2012 - 08:19 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

I just thought I would bump this topic. I would love to see how the tasks are accomplished. I still must plead ignorance to what a lot of the "technical" words mean so I strongly suspect that the solutions would be very educational on several levels. I'm hoping that someone with the requisite knowledge will deign to enlighten us.

Seeing as how e-Sword cannot search with Greek or Hebrew unicode characters, I don't see how it's possible. If it is possible, I will go even further out on my little limb here saying it's very complicated using "special" modules. :)

#9 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

Heavy sigh.
Posted Image

#10 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

---

Edited by DSaw, 15 March 2012 - 09:01 PM.

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users