Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

How to create a new Bible

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Oh

Ian Oh

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 March 2022 - 06:22 AM

Hi

I'm investigating the possibility of coding from scratch the Newberry Bible.  There are a few basic requirements which for a long time e-Sword did not meet.  Now with the release of the Android version, the biggest obstacle has been overcome, I might investigate doing this on e-Sword.  I am able to do this on the OnlineBible with a bit of crafty coding. But would like to know 

• Does e-Sword support multiple fonts in one Bible version?  Or at least my own specified font ... with italics, bolding, serif, san serif, Old English, etc. (see the sample below).  My observation is the each version has normal and italics. 
  • Can this support of fonts extend into Android /  iOS?
  • Unicode does not have Newberry's signs but I can adopt something close and use a specially designed font to make it look right.  Will e-Sword accept my custom fonts and associate it with just one Bible Version?   (i.e. not apply to all English versions in e-Sword).

I don't like the way e-Sword reveals the footnotes, but that's a conversation for another day.

Attached Files

Edited by AssemblyBeliever, 02 March 2022 - 06:29 AM.

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 12:15 PM

Hi

I'm investigating the possibility of coding from scratch the Newberry Bible.  There are a few basic requirements which for a long time e-Sword did not meet.  Now with the release of the Android version, the biggest obstacle has been overcome, I might investigate doing this on e-Sword.  I am able to do this on the OnlineBible with a bit of crafty coding. But would like to know 

• Does e-Sword support multiple fonts in one Bible version?  Or at least my own specified font ... with italics, bolding, serif, san serif, Old English, etc. (see the sample below).  My observation is the each version has normal and italics. 
  • Can this support of fonts extend into Android /  iOS?
  • Unicode does not have Newberry's signs but I can adopt something close and use a specially designed font to make it look right.  Will e-Sword accept my custom fonts and associate it with just one Bible Version?   (i.e. not apply to all English versions in e-Sword).

I don't like the way e-Sword reveals the footnotes, but that's a conversation for another day.

You don't need to code from scratch or code at all to make modules for use with all versions of e-Sword, WIndows, Apple, or Android.

There is a module creation tool called e-Sword Tooltip NT readily available right here on Bible Support

e-Sword Tooltip NT is a full function word processor designed for the creation of e-Sword modules. e-Sword Tooltip NT works with any font and offers all font functions and options. So a custom font will not be any problem nor will specialized marks 

You can download e-Sword Tooltip NT here:

http://www.biblesupp...ooltip-tool-nt/

#3 ELVbible

ELVbible

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 12:57 PM

does this software run on linux? i want to do something similar, but i run debian.

#4 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 05:59 AM

does this software run on linux? i want to do something similar, but i run debian.

The only ToolTip I could get running on my Debian based Linux was ToolTipTool352 using wine; I could not get current ToolTip NT to work. I imagine that the old ToolTipTool352 lacks features that you require.

#5 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 12:35 PM

The only ToolTip I could get running on my Debian based Linux was ToolTipTool352 using wine; I could not get current ToolTip NT to work. I imagine that the old ToolTipTool352 lacks features that you require.

Crossover Linux from Codeweavers should allow Tooltip Software to run properly:

https://www.codeweav...crossover#linux

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 22 March 2022 - 04:28 PM

Crossover Linux from Codeweavers should allow Tooltip Software to run properly:

https://www.codeweav...crossover#linux

Just to add to what Mr Higgins shared, the beaut part of Crossover, is that its not an emulator, but rather makes the program run natively on Linux.

From Codeweavers about CrossOver Linux

You are the noblest of the noble running Linux. You don't want the despair of running a Windows OS on your finely minted machine. You don't want to sell your soul for a Windows license or squander away your hard drive shekels running a virtual machine. Dual-boot? I think not! But the heart wants what the heart wants. Thousands of Windows games and programs to run on your favorite Linux distro (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Debian, RHEL and oh so many more). Oh the conundrum.

CrossOver Linux doesn't have ye 'ole overhead of a Windows operating system or virtual machine, which means ye 'ole Windows apps will run at native speed, play games at full fps all while maintaining the Linux OS integration. Simply magic!

So, there you are. And I don't think you would have a problem. Well, I don't think you will.

Trust that you will find this little bit of extra information helpful to you.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 22 March 2022 - 04:41 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 06:21 PM

Just to add to what Mr Higgins shared, the beaut part of Crossover, is that its not an emulator,...

Wine makes the same claim; Wine Is Not an Emulator.

https://www.winehq.org/

#8 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:33 PM

Wine makes the same claim; Wine Is Not an Emulator.

I think you're probably right. I don't know all that much about WINE except that it works in similar ways to how CrossOver does. That said, I think what both WINE and Crossover does, is that they "fool" the Operating System into thinking that the foreign piece of software belongs to it.

Emulators are different to Wine and Crossover, by how they actually work. Best way to describe this, is that Emulators works outside of the Operating System by creating a virtual machine, as where Wine and Crossover actually works with the host Operating System directly by "communicating" with the Kernel of that OS in where it "translates" Windows API calls into whatever the host OS calls are, e.g., into Linux POSIX calls and etc.

Where (from my reading) Crossover beats Wine, is that it is totally indiscriminate of what the flavor of Linux one may have. As where Wine only works with a particular flavor of Linux that its been built for (I think). A Wine developed for e.g. Redhat may not work with Debian, and so on. I could be wrong on that, and if so, I apologize.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 23 March 2022 - 08:42 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#9 modulist

modulist

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 24 March 2022 - 09:57 AM

Actually, CrossOver uses Wine to do its thing. You can read more about it here:

https://www.codeweavers.com/wine

Wine is also used by PlayOnMac/PlayOnLinux, which is another (free) option for running Windows apps on macOS or Linux. It, too, is not an emulator, but a compatibility layer, like CrossOver. Speaking of which, I would be interested to know if anybody on this forum has successfully run ToolTipTool NT using PlayOnMac or PlayOnLinux. I tried once using PlayOnMac, but it didn't work. I maybe just needed to fiddle with settings, but I had no idea what to do. Again, I'd love to know if anybody else was able to get it working.

Fun fact: Wine works on both Linux and macOS because both are UNIX-like operating systems.

Edited by modulist, 24 March 2022 - 09:59 AM.

#10 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 04:34 AM

... I would be interested to know if anybody on this forum has successfully run ToolTipTool NT using PlayOnMac or PlayOnLinux. ...

I am able to run ToolTipTool352 using PlayOnLinux, but not any of the NT versions. I get an error:

C:\Program Files\e-Sword ToolTIP NT\TX24\tx4ole24.ocx

Unable to register DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit Code 0x3

Attached Files

Edited by PeanutGallery, 25 March 2022 - 04:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users