Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Margin of white-space on sides of text windows?

21 replies to this topic

#11 esword12345

esword12345

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 February 2022 - 02:24 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the tips on reporting this!

I am using Windows 7 on a desktop computer with a flat screen monitor ~19" size

NOTE: I tried to upload images.... both by pasting directly into this reply and then by attaching a word document.... but both times it wouldn't let me!?

Please, what is the supported way to upload screenshots? Thanks!

Thanks!

Robert

P.S. ... NOTE: This eSword software is GREAT! .... but without these margins the text is unpleasant to read.... as-is I would rate the software 7 or 8 out of 10... *with* the margins I think it would be a 10 out of 10. thx

#12 esword12345

esword12345

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 February 2022 - 04:44 PM

Here are 2 screenshots (jpg files) I am uploading/attaching to this post.

They illustrate the no-whitespace-margins-inside text-windows problem I am reporting.

Thanks.

Am attempting "Add to Post" to see if it will imbed them here...

Attached File  eSword_no_whitespace_in_text_margins_1_27FEB2022.jpg   206.6K   12 downloads

Attached File  eSword_no_whitespace_in_text_margins_2_27FEB2022.jpg   364.85K   13 downloads

....It worked

These screenshots illustrate what I am reporting.... note there are no whitespace margins along the left and right inside edges of the text windows, but rather the text butts up directly against the edge (although the right margin does wrap when appropriate)...... the problem as I've said is that it makes it difficult to read.

Also, for the record, my platform is windows 7, a desktop computer, and a regular flat screen 19" monitor.

Thanks!

Edited by esword12345, 27 February 2022 - 04:50 PM.

#13 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 27 February 2022 - 05:55 PM

Here are 2 screenshots (jpg files) I am uploading/attaching to this post.

They illustrate the no-whitespace-margins-inside text-windows problem I am reporting.

Thanks.

Am attempting "Add to Post" to see if it will imbed them here...

attachicon.gifeSword_no_whitespace_in_text_margins_1_27FEB2022.jpg

attachicon.gifeSword_no_whitespace_in_text_margins_2_27FEB2022.jpg

....It worked

These screenshots illustrate what I am reporting.... note there are no whitespace margins along the left and right inside edges of the text windows, but rather the text butts up directly against the edge (although the right margin does wrap when appropriate)...... the problem as I've said is that it makes it difficult to read.

Also, for the record, my platform is windows 7, a desktop computer, and a regular flat screen 19" monitor.

Thanks!

As I said in my response to Jon, my guess that its a bug with the Text Control or that Rick Meyers didn't add a margin in the Text Control properties at design time. The point is that this can only be fixed in Visual Studio IDE either in the Design part or by adding code to fix the left margin. So, with that, there really isn't anything anyone of us can do about it.

Moreover, if Rick does fix that issue, then it will only come out in the next next version of e-Sword. So there's about only 2 things you can do about it is:

1. Put up with it and wait until the next version comes out that's got the fix
  2. Or get a hold of version 10 and install that on your PC.

Sorry that none of us can really help you.

By the way, you really have a small monitor. Well when comparing my 24" dual Monitors, 19" is really small.

See if you can get a hold of another 19" monitor and use it with your existing one, as in having a Dual screen, and I reckon you will find it really handy when it comes to working on your PC. I can tell you this, I will never go back to a single monitor unless its a wide screen.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 27 February 2022 - 06:12 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#14 esword12345

esword12345

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 10:48 AM

Thanks APsit190. Yeah dual 24" monitors would be great ... but it would block my view outside :)

I might try installing version 10 though.

Thanks.

#15 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 28 February 2022 - 12:01 PM

Reply from Rick Meyers, the designer of the e-Sword application. Olaf,

The loss of the left margin occurred when we changed to the third-party control used for text display. 
Unfortunately, that control does not conform to all of the CSS formatting we tell it to. 
It even ignores the fonts we specify for right-to-left languages, such as Hebrew.

In His service,

Rick Meyers

rick@e-sword.net
Monday, February 28, 2022 

#16 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 02:47 PM

Reply from Rick Meyers, the designer of the e-Sword application. Olaf,

The loss of the left margin occurred when we changed to the third-party control used for text display. 
Unfortunately, that control does not conform to all of the CSS formatting we tell it to. 
It even ignores the fonts we specify for right-to-left languages, such as Hebrew.

In His service,

Rick Meyers

rick@e-sword.net
Monday, February 28, 2022 

Oh boy. A couple of observations.

1. The bug is the 3rd party Text Control itself.
  2. The 3rd party Text Control is as useful as hip-pockets on a T-shirt.

The fix is really easy. Give the 3rd party Text Control the boot, and use the genuine article, like the one that was used in e-Sword 10. Problem fixed and no longer an issue.

Now if that cannot be achieved, then write your own control; even in VB (e-Sword is written in Visual Basic). See Screenshot below:

Visual Studio 2022 New Project Dialog

Attached File  VS New Projects.jpg   74.23K   15 downloads

See, told ya so :P :D

As the old saying goes, "Where there is will, there is a way."

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 04 March 2022 - 06:54 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#17 esword12345

esword12345

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 04:58 AM

Hello APsit190,

Is writing your own control in VB something a user can do for their own machine? .... or were you speaking only to Rick Meyers (for the next rollout)?

Thanks,

Robert

#18 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 06:12 AM

Hello APsit190,

Is writing your own control in VB something a user can do for their own machine? .... or were you speaking only to Rick Meyers (for the next rollout)?

Thanks,

Robert

Yep, for Ricky baby to write his own text control. But the likelihood of that happening is pretty much next to none.

OK... However!!! I have good news. I've figured out a workaround or a kind of a fix to that issue. And all it takes is a little edit in the resource file. Just watch out for a video I did which demonstrates the fix - coming very shortly.

Blessings,

Stephen (Php 1:21)

X (formerly Twitter)

#19 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 07:29 AM

OK, so here it is... the fix or the workaround for the issue of the Margin thingy in e-Sword.

Now, just a bit of a side note before signing off.

I'm trying to hit my first 1000 subscribers to my YouTube Channel. Although its more dedicated to train simulator, yet e-Sword content seems to be out stripping Train Simulator content. That said, I would like many if not most you you dudes and dudedesses to subscribe to the Channel.

So, at the moment I've got 31 subscribers, and that only leaves 969 to go on reaching that 1000 subscriber goal.

So for the 31 of you that have subscribed, thanks a big heap, and I really appreciate your subscription.

I've got some plans for the kind of e-Sword content I want to do and upload, which are:

• Revues of resources
  • Sharing about features on e-Sword
  • Doing live streaming about e-Sword, and get other members to join in the discussion of this crazy program.
  • And perhaps the biggy that I want to be able to do is interview Rick Meyers. That is something that is would be really amazing to do.

So, with that, I trust you have a fantastic and blessed day/evening (depending where you are in the world).

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 03 March 2022 - 07:48 AM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#20 esword12345

esword12345

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 March 2022 - 08:15 AM

Thanks APsit190!

I'm subscribing to your youtube channel and plan to watch the video and try this fix soon!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users