Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Margin of white-space on sides of text windows?

21 replies to this topic

#1 esword12345

esword12345

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 11:27 AM

Hello,

I love eSword.... But the text e.g. in the Bible and commentaries display butts right up against the left and right sides of the window in which it is displayed.

This makes it more difficult to read than if there were a margin of white space around the edges... say 2 or 3 pixels.

Is there any way to add margins inside the text display windows?

Thanks!

Robert

#2 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 12:07 PM

Report the issue here https://www.e-sword.net/feedback.html

It has changed since version 11/12 I think

#3 esword12345

esword12345

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 02:44 PM

Thanks!

I filled out the form and sent it in..... but I'm not hopeful. I have sent this same request in several times already over the past year or so; I believe using the same form in the link above.

#4 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 03:47 PM

Hmm how sad that you don't get a response.

#5 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 25 February 2022 - 04:05 AM

Hello esword12345, You want space between the screen edges and the text displayed on your screen.
Perhaps you could mention which device you are using, and what the size limitations of the screen is which you are using. Are you using some screen which is still in warrantee, or is it using out-dated technology?
Perhaps you could also get a larger screen, and link that larger screen to your computer, so you can read the text more easily.
Do you not have an option to control the amount of space used by the display on your screen, so it is not flush with the edges of your screen? You do not say if your screen is set to 100% or smaller, wider, or higher.
SUGGESTION: Try to contact the manufacturer of your device, and the manufacturer of your screen, and ask them if they have a formula which would provide the webmasters with the necessary parameters, to format text so it is one or two pixels from the edges of the screen. Also, you could contact the programmers of your browser - they may also have already invented a suitable algorithm which will cater for the display of text in the different varying screen sizes.
Try viewing the screen in landscape, not portrait, mode.
Then you could share their answers, and information, with the designer of e-Sword, Rick Meyers, and let him know what you suggest. In this way you would help the world by being part of the solution, instead of being a beggar pleading for others to use their inventiveness to invent something for your benefit. The direct email link is rick@e-sword.net

HINT: If I quickly compare the screens, using e-Sword version 13.0.0. the problem is in most screens, BUT a solution was already successfully invented for the screen using the Bible, Maximized, where the text is displayed in a text box when using the "Parallel" format. There, you will see that there is a space before and after the line of text, which is wrapped inside the text display box. Suggest to Rick Meyers, the designer of e-Sword, that he could please consider to implement that same format of displaying the text, inside all the other versions of the e-Sword screen borders, on a global scale, throughout all other e-Sword display screens, also. Rick Meyers has already invented a suitable solution - now to ripple that solution though to all other screen displays of text, throughout e-Sword, as version 13.0.1.

Give him full details of your equipment, and operating system, and screen details, and manufacturer details, and clear printouts, also. If this is a global problem, I am sure someone has worked on this display problem already.

esword12345, on 24 Feb 2022 - 7:27 PM, said:
esword12345, on 24 Feb 2022 - 7:27 PM, said:

Hello,

I love eSword.... But the text e.g. in the Bible and commentaries display butts right up against the left and right sides of the window in which it is displayed.
This makes it more difficult to read than if there were a margin of white space around the edges... say 2 or 3 pixels.

Is there any way to add margins inside the text display windows?

Thanks!

Robert

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 25 February 2022 - 05:00 AM.

#6 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 05:48 AM

This is the place being mentioned.

There is a difference between es 10 and es 13

Attached File  margin es 10.jpg   66.03K   18 downloads

e-Sword 10

Attached File  margin es 13.jpg   86.99K   16 downloads

e-Sword 13

#7 esword12345

esword12345

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 February 2022 - 02:41 PM

Jon, Yes that is exactly what I am talking about!

Is there a known/published reason why this was done?

Was it an oversight or an "improvement" I wonder?

Do you know if version 10 is still offered by eSword?

Thanks!

#8 esword12345

esword12345

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 February 2022 - 02:49 PM

Hello Olaf Bacon,

I just saw your reply.

Thanks for your interest and response... but unless I misunderstood what you were saying, it doesn't have anything to do with my monitor (desktop computer with monitor), but is apparently purely a function of the software itself.

I tried the parallel Bible tab and indeed, just as you said it contains the white-space borders on the left and right sides.... exactly what I was wanting on all the text screens.

Thanks for the tip to use that parallel Bible display as the model of what I am looking for in all the text screens!

#9 esword12345

esword12345

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 February 2022 - 02:55 PM

JPG,

I had asked you about version 10 still being offered.... and right after asking, I just now saw it under downloads. thanks.

Robert

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 27 February 2022 - 01:40 PM

This is the place being mentioned.

There is a difference between es 10 and es 13

attachicon.gifmargin es 10.jpg

e-Sword 10

attachicon.gifmargin es 13.jpg

e-Sword 13

Hi Jon,

My guess that this is a bug with the Text Control that Rick is using for version 13, or that he didn't set a Margin value in the Properties for the Text Control. Whichever the way this is, I think that this is something worth reporting, and to see what Rick's response is.

When reporting this issue, it would be worth your while to include those Screenshots showing what those potential bugs are. And if there is a fix for them, then that would be fantastic.

Have a good one, bro.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 27 February 2022 - 01:40 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users