Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

E-Sword install question

2 replies to this topic

#1 JohnPD

JohnPD

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 04:32 PM

Is it possible to install e-Sword to an external hard drive? I have a tiny, 32gb eMMC hard drive on my laptop, and want to save as much disc space as possible. I know I can add a usb hard drive to store things on, and some apps allow you to choose where to install them to, but I don’t know if e-Sword allows this. I currently only use e-Sword on my iPad and iPhone.

#2 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 December 2021 - 04:50 AM

If you are running from a PC running the Microsoft Operating system, then you can change the Path to where the files are to be accessed from, by using the "Options" and "Resource Settings". Browse to the relevant destination drive, and path, which you want e-Sword to use in future. These drive and full path details are in the two windows to which you can browse. Change the details here in e-Sword. Then exit e-Sword.

Copy the content of your folder for the e-Sword Resource Location to the relevant Drive and Path to the new ...\e-Sword folder

Copy the content of your personal e-Sword files which you want to read through the Editors, to the relevant Personal Folder Files Resource, in the ...\Documents\e-Sword folder.

Here is the information from https://www.e-sword.net/faq.html

HOW CAN I MOVE MY E-SWORD TO A NEW COMPUTER?

Select "Options, Resource Settings" from the e-Sword menu and take note of the "Resource Location" and "User Files Location" paths.

Copy the e-Sword modules from the "Resource Location" directory, such as BBLX, CMTX, DCTX, DEVX, LEXX, MAPX, and REFX files.

Copy ALL of the files from the "User Files Location" directory to get your personal notes and other customizations transferred.

You will still need to install e-Sword from its setup program to properly install the various system files, etc.

When you re-run e-Sword, check where the resources are running from. If they find the distant drive and folder, then you will have been successful. 

However, when you download a resource from inside e-Sword on the "Download" option, this might still think to download into the C:\Program Files (x86)\e-Sword folder. If that occurs, copy the file to the new drive and folder. You will probably find the BibleSupport Module Installer useful to help you to move files to the required target folders. . 

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 15 December 2021 - 05:02 AM.

#3 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 15 December 2021 - 03:58 PM

Is it possible to install e-Sword to an external hard drive? I have a tiny, 32gb eMMC hard drive on my laptop, and want to save as much disc space as possible. I know I can add a usb hard drive to store things on, and some apps allow you to choose where to install them to, but I don’t know if e-Sword allows this. I currently only use e-Sword on my iPad and iPhone.

In theory, Yes.

That said, I just did a video in attempt to answer your question in far greater depth, and so I trust that it proves helpful to you.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 15 December 2021 - 03:59 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users