Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Difference between a .exe file and a zip file. How to choose

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 rebornID

rebornID

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 08:46 PM

Well the subject line pretty much sums it up.
Sometimes I am offered two choices to download.    an exe or a Zip.  the zip is larger.

Is there an advantage to one or the other?  Does one work better with various versions?  
Is there a functional/operational or content difference.

Thank you.

#2 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 04:06 AM

Both the .zip and the .exe will usually contain within it the same module.

The .exe can be run by double clicking it (Windows OS only), and it will run as a self contained program that places the e-Sword file it contains to the correct folder on your system.

However for resources on an Apple computer using e-Sword X, this is not possible to run the .exe, so module makers often put the file into a .zip file using something like 7-zip or even the Windows OS can be used to send files to a zip folder. In the case of a .zip file it is up to the user to extract the file and copy it to the correct e-Sword folder.

Sometimes ones upload a file that is as is, and so might have any of the extensions that are used by Apple/Windows. .bbli, .bblx, cmtx, cmti etcetera. Files with the "i" at the end will work on e-Sword 13 and Apple (just to confuse things).

#3 rebornID

rebornID

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Bug Hunter. 
So, not advantage for the PC user of one file over the other. 
they both contain the same module and functionality is the same.

I have downloaded both, but when both files are presented and the Zip file is larger, I wondered if it contained some
content or function that was missing from the other.

Thanks again.

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 09 November 2021 - 06:53 PM

I've Just created a video relating to your query. I think that this will help you to understand the differences between the two media types and their particular functions. Moreover, when it comes to which is better and easier to use, once you watched the video, it think you will definitely see there is one, and you will probably make a choice. So with that, put up your feet and enjoy.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 rebornID

rebornID

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:03 PM

Thanks APsit190

I will watch it now.

#6 rebornID

rebornID

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:17 PM

APsit190

that was a fabulous entertaining and informative explanation about working with zip files and what they are.

But, my question was ONLY this:  When installed did they both contain the same content and functionality.

Since the zip files are often much larger than the executable, I just wondered if they contained any content or functionality that the exe file did not.

And, you are right, if they are the same, I would much prefer the exe file.

thanks for that enjoyable video.  Keep up the good work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users