Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

IPad version crashing

5 replies to this topic

#1 rdozler

rdozler

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:17 AM

I just updated and now I cannot use notes or editor, it crashes when I click on them. Please Help

I used this for my teaching each week. I have email e-sword and heard nothing.

Ron

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 01 September 2021 - 03:59 PM

I just updated and now I cannot use notes or editor, it crashes when I click on them. Please Help

I used this for my teaching each week. I have email e-sword and heard nothing.

Ron

Hi Ron,

At a guess, the reason for e-Sword crashing maybe because of the amount of resources you are requiring it to load, and as such you could quite possibly be running out of memory. If that is the case, then you may need to either do some or all of the following:

• Delete some of resources
  • Disable some of the resources from loading
  • Once notes have been used, either delete them or archive them.
  • Keep stuff at a minimum so that you don't run out of memory
  • Keep resources on an external media or on the cloud.

Failing that, get hold of a Macbook Pro, install e-Sword X, then use that. I think then you should have more RAM in the Macbook than you would have in your iPad.

Finally, just as a suggestion, For you sermon and other study prep work, do this on a desktop machine or laptop. I think that you will find it a great deal better because these machines have much more processing power than an iPad. By the way, this also applies to Windows users as well.

Trust you find this helpful.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 01 September 2021 - 04:09 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 rdozler

rdozler

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 04:35 PM

I use the IPAD pro with plenty of memory. this only started after I updated last week.

The app says I am only using 20.8mb and 201.mb for docs and data. That should not be an issue.

Thanks

Ron

#4 modulist

modulist

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 01 September 2021 - 05:19 PM

Hello rdozier,

You're right, memory should not be an issue (I have 1.32 GB of docs and data for e-Sword LT on my iOS device, and I don't have any problems with crashing). One thing you could try is uninstalling e-Sword from your iPad, and then re-downloading it from the App Store. Sometimes this can fix issues with apps crashing in iOS. The downside is that you will have to reinstall your resources and data. However, it might be worth a try.

Hope this helps.

Edited by modulist, 01 September 2021 - 05:21 PM.

#5 rdozler

rdozler

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:14 AM

I did that and it and than lost all my notes, not good. So I had to restore the entire Ipad from a backup.

I need to save the notes somewhere and then delete the app and reinstall.

Anybody know where the notes date is kept on the Ipad.  I sure wish E-Sword would help with this problem but have not heard anything even though I keep emailing them. Is there a phone to call?

Ron

#6 modulist

modulist

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:27 AM

All of your personal files in e-Sword on iOS devices (bookmarks, notes, etc.) can be backed up using iTunes (in Windows or MacOS 10.14 [Mohave] or earlier) or, if you have MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) or 11 (Big Sur), you can use the Finder.

With your iPad connected to your computer, launch iTunes. Click the little icon representing your device, and then choose "File Sharing" from the sidebar. All of your iPad apps that can share files show up in a list. Choose "e-Sword HD" and then a list of your personal files (such as your notes) should show up. You should be able to drag them right to your Desktop, which will copy them to your computer. The method is similar for the latest MacOS, only you use the Finder instead of iTunes. Open a new Finder window. Choose your iPad from the sidebar, and then choose "Files" from the tabs that appear in the Finder window.

Of course, you can use this method to put your personal e-Sword files back onto your iPad as well.

I hope these instructions were clear enough and helpful to you.

By the way: I'd be interested to know if redownloading e-Sword from the App Store fixed your problem with crashes.

Edited by modulist, 02 September 2021 - 09:30 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users