Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Something to do in lockdown

11 replies to this topic

#1 Bobs

Bobs

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationPapamoa, New Zealand

Posted 27 August 2021 - 01:49 AM

New Zealand is in another lockdown - stuck at home - what shall I do? What about another Bible Module. This time The Expanded Bible. It is much in the genre of The Amplified Bible.

So once again using SQLite and Excel and much, much patience over this lockdown I am working my way through producing The Expanded Bible for my own use.

And once again - It is very rewarding developing this – as I work through the books, chapters and verses I see things about Scripture I haven't ‘seen’ before. As I looked at various passages, believing I am reading the Word of God, God speaks. He speaks of the history of Israel, He speaks of the plans He as for the rescuing of people from the clutches of sin, He speaks of His Son Jesus Christ the Saviour of the world and He speaks of much, much more.

So, the building of a Bible module becomes much, much more than just a technical exercise, it becomes much more that long hours of correcting mistakes that SQLite had made in exporting to Excel, it becomes much more as I corrected the ‘mistakes’ the Excel made in ‘translating’, it becomes a dialogue with the Living God.

Praise God He still communicates to us through His Word.

Bobs 

#2 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta

Posted 27 August 2021 - 09:36 AM

I downloaded the PDF of the Expanded Bible by Thomas Nelson and compared it to the Amplified Bible by The Lockman Foundation.

I chose Joh 1:1-3 as we need to see the deity of Christ Jesus from the beginning.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning [before all time] was the Word (N1Christ), and the Word was with God, and N2the Word was God Himself. [Gen_1:1; Isa_9:6]

Joh 1:2 He was [continually existing] in the beginning [co-eternally] with God.

Joh 1:3 All things were made and came into existence through Him; and without Him not even one thing was made that has come into being. Amplified Bible

1 ·In the beginning [Gen. 1:1] ·there was the Word [the Word already existed; C the Word refers to Christ, God’s revelation of himself]. The Word was ·with [in the presence of; in intimate relationship with] God [C the Father], and the Word was [fully] God.

2 He was ·with [in the presence of; in intimate relationship with] God in the beginning.

3 All things ·were made [were created; came to be] ·by [through] him, and nothing ·was made [came to be] without him [Prov. 8:22–31]. Expanded Bible

The bold C = commentary

My main concern is with the use of “[in the presence of; in intimate relationship with]” in the Expanded bible as opposed to “[continually existing]...[co-eternally]” as found in the Amplified bible.

The text used in the Expanded version could be used to show that Christ was “a God” as the JW’s and some others contend. It causes doubt as to the Trinity.

Gal 2:20

I’m willing to compromise about many things, but not the Word of God 

There must be conviction before there can be conversion 

#3 Bobs

Bobs

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 12:24 PM

Thanks Silverhair for that - certainly worth further study.

I checked on the some of those involved with translation and no indication of JW leanings

About the scholars

Tremper Longman III (Ph.D., Yale) is the Robert H. Gundry Professor of Biblical Studies at Westmont College. 

Mark L. Strauss (Ph.D., Aberdeen) is professor of New Testament at Bethel Seminary San Diego, where he has served since

Daniel Taylor (Ph.D., Emory) is the author of ten books

and also for further information

https://www.biblegat...nded-Bible-EXB/

Does not look like JW influenced but I note your concern and will continue to check out Expanded Bible.

Blessings

Bob 

#4 johanseb

johanseb

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 August 2021 - 04:32 PM

Please, continue with this resource. I hace downloaded The New Testament in PDF, and it is higly valuable. It provides new perspectives, it adds a lot to our understanding. Not easy to read, but good to study. It seems also faithful.

Many thanks! You will bless!

#5 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 03:28 PM

I think that sometimes they are just to "progressive" in their thinking. Or perhaps it's just the need to use different words. Not sure which.

Dale

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 30 August 2021 - 06:45 AM

I think that sometimes they are just to "progressive" in their thinking. Or perhaps it's just the need to use different words. Not sure which.

Dale

Hi Dale,
It's all about verbosity, bro. The more words they can throw in they think it makes it easier or clearer to understand. :lol:

Just had a thought... I wonder if one would tell the "translators" that their work was verbose, what would happen?

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 06:51 AM

Probably they would reply, we wanted it to be wordy [loquacious, garrulous, talkative, voluble, orotund, expansive, babbling, blathering, prattling, prating, jabbering, gushing, effusive, long-winded, lengthy, protracted, prolix, periphrastic, circumlocutory, circuitous, tautological, repetitious, redundant, tortuous, indirect, convoluted, diffuse, discursive, digressive, rambling, wandering, meandering, mouthy, gabby, windy, gassy, talky, with the gift of the gab, yakking, big-mouthed, wittering, gobby, ]

:)

#8 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 30 August 2021 - 01:20 PM

Probably they would reply, we wanted it to be wordy [loquacious, garrulous, talkative, voluble, orotund, expansive, babbling, blathering, prattling, prating, jabbering, gushing, effusive, long-winded, lengthy, protracted, prolix, periphrastic, circumlocutory, circuitous, tautological, repetitious, redundant, tortuous, indirect, convoluted, diffuse, discursive, digressive, rambling, wandering, meandering, mouthy, gabby, windy, gassy, talky, with the gift of the gab, yakking, big-mouthed, wittering, gobby, ]

:)

ROFL.gif

Good one.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 30 August 2021 - 01:24 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#9 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 01:32 PM

JPG how long do it take to come up with that list? Gave me a good laugh.

#10 Bobs

Bobs

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 02:58 PM

I had to laugh too. But for all their "verbosity". it did make me study what I was 'translating' and so gained more in my understanding of who God is and what He has in store - so not all bad!!

Now I am going to start on the New Century Version. Got to occupy myself during lockdown here in New Zealand

Blessings

bob

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users