Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Unable to use Tooltip NT

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 01:52 AM

In T4 this is not the case, and we don't want confusion here.

We don't want to confuse a natural line-wrap "Reveal Codes" in WordPerfect with a soft-return/break in T4 or any other word processor.

T4 looks for hard-returns to indicate the end of a Bible verse, and then it is looking for the next verse marker. However if we shrink the view down and make the module, it won't display the line wrapped in e-Sword at the same point. If we need a poetry format for something like a Psalm, we use soft-returns until the end of that verse which has to end in a hard-return, unless we were presenting the Bible like Wuest does with a span of verses.

To enter a soft-return in T4 or MS Word, simply hold down the shift key and press enter/return. If you have the codes showing in T4 by toggling the pilcrow icon ¶.indicates this.Soft return looks like this 

Attached File  soft return narrow view.jpg   47.73K   1 downloads

Attached File  soft return wide view.jpg   75.76K   4 downloads

This is as shown below in the T4 User Guide on page 60 (True, though that this User Guide is for an older version of T4. However this part is still accurate)

Attached File  T4 User Guide.jpg   49.03K   2 downloads

Terminology

The other way to end a line is to press Shift+Enter; this results in a soft return, sometimes called a line break or a newline character, being entered in the document. Hard returns are used to signify the end of a paragraph, whereas soft returns simply signify the end of a line.

WordPerfect

To enter a "soft-return" in WordPerfect you use the Ctrl+Shift+L key combination, or chose Line Break from the Insert menu (WordPerfect version 8)

#22 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 25 February 2022 - 04:37 PM

WordPerfect

To enter a "soft-return" in WordPerfect you use the Ctrl+Shift+L key combination, or chose Line Break from the Insert menu (WordPerfect version 8)

Hi Jon,

That Ctrl+Shift+L key stroke is actually called a "Line Break," and in the Reveal Codes is seen as Ln Brk. Now, I've been using WordPerfect since 1992 (version 5) from the good old days of DOS (if you remember that). And if memory serves me correctly, that key stroke has always been known to create a Line Break in the document

Currently I use WordPerfect X5 (version 15) which is now about 12 years old. Me thinks its about time to upgrade to the latest version.

Just a bit of a side note.

Now, there is a massive difference between WordPerfect and MS Word and other similar word processors to Word. WordPerfect is strictly UTF based and uses Unicode, and Word and its clones are RTF based and don't use Unicode. Many moons ago Microsoft tried to bring out a similar type of Reveal Codes thingy for Word, but which never worked.

Something else that happened way back in 2004 or 2005, is that US Department of Justice ditched MS Word for WordPerfect because Word lacked the specifications required for Legal documents. As to whether this is the case now, I have no idea.

Well, that's about it from me on this one.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#23 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 06:04 PM

WordPerfect terms don't really make sense when trying to help ones understand T4 formatting. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users