Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Conversion of BIBLESUPPORT.COM modules to MAC on a MAC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 May 2021 - 03:32 AM

BIBLESUPPORT.COM requires a comprehensive instruction, in step by step format, explaining how to use a BIBLESUPPORT.COM option which will enable the user to recompile modules (with three-letter e-Sword module filetype names) which were previously created to run on out-dated Microsoft operating systems, and which are still available on BIBLESUPPORT.COM, so that these modules will be changed to four-letter e-Sword module filetype names, so that they will run on e-Sword on Microsoft Windows 10 operating system, and so that they will run on e-Sword on Apple MAC computers

Microsoft support for Windows XP ended April 8, 2014, after 12 years. Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system. It is critical to migrate now to a modern operating system. The best way to migrate from Windows XP to Windows 10 is to buy a new device.

Microsoft 7 support ended on January 14, 2020. Microsoft made a commitment to provide 10 years of product support for Windows 7 when it was released on October 22, 2009. This 10-year period has now ended, and Microsoft has discontinued Windows 7 support. Technical assistance and software updates from Windows Update that help protect your PC are no longer available for the product. Microsoft strongly recommends the move to Windows 10 to avoid a situation where you need service or support that is no longer available.

Microsoft Windows 8.1 reached the end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018, and will reach end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home and Pro start date 2015-07-29 retirement date 2025-10-14.

BIBLESUPPORT.COM needs an instruction, in step by step format, explaining how to use a compiler, to be provided on BIBLESUPPORT.COM, which can be used to update the thousands of existing modules which can run on Microsoft Windows 10 PC, which are found on BIBLESUPPORT.COM or on another website, so that these modules can then be able to be downloaded and able to run directly on the version of e-Sword which Rick Meyers provides from https://www.e-sword.com for E-Sword X for the MAC, and for E-Sword HD for the iPad, and for E-Sword LT for the iPhone

BIBLESUPPORT.COM needs an instruction, to document step by step, what is necessary to recompile these modules, so that they can be downloaded and emailed to the user, to read, and run these modules on Android mobile devices as well.

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:13 AM

There is a module conversion tool available on e-Sword.net that can convert modules from Windows to Apple/Mac formats. 

As an alternative e-Sword Tooltip NT can also be used to accomplish the Windows to Mac conversions easily as well with the added bonus of being able to edit or correct any errors found in modules. 

With regards to Android devices there is a small tool called Simple Bible Reader which can convert e-Sword modules into Modules for many other bible software packages:

Bibles

Bible Analyzer (BIB)
e-Sword Bible Modules (BBL, BBLX)
EasySlides (MDB)
Executable Bibles
General Bible Format (GBF)
Go Bible,
HeavenWorld Bibles for Windows 8
LOGOS Import (DOCX)
MP3 Bibles,
MySword for Android
Online Bibles
Open Scripture Information Standard (OSIS)
Open Song Bibles (XMM, OpenLP.org Bibles, Bible Companion (BIB)
PalmBible+
The SWORD Project
The Unbound Bible (Unmapped-BCV, Mapped-BCVS, Unmapped-BCVS)
The Word Bible Modules (ONT, ONTX, OT, OTX, NT and NTX)
Theological Markup Language (ThML),
Unified Scripture Format XML (USFX)
Verse Per Line (VPL)
VerseVIEW
XML Scripture Encoding Model (XSEM)
Zefania XML Bibles

Commentaries

Bible Analyzer (CMT)
e-Sword 8.x (CMT)
e-Sword 9.x (CMTX)
MySword for Android
OnlineBible Commentaries
SWORD Commentary Modules (ZIP)
The Word (cmt.twm)
XML Format

Dictionaries

Bible Analyzer (DCT)
e-Sword 9.x (DCTX)
MySword for Android
OnlineBible Dictionaries
SWORD Dictionary Modules (ZIP)
The Word (dct.twm), e-Sword 8.x (DCT)
Zefania Dictionary Format (XML)

Books / topics

Bible Analyzer (BK)
e-Sword 8.x (TOP)
e-Sword 9.x (TOPX/REFX)
MySword for Android
STEP Modules, Online Books
SWORD Book Modules (ZIP)
The Word (gbk.twm)
XML Format (XML)

The only disadvantage with Simple Bible Reader is that it cannot read or convert e-Sword modules for Apple/Mac devices

#3 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:00 AM

Successfully converted TheWord.ont to e-sword.bblx. So far so good; the only quirk is when the converted module.bblx is viewed in parallel or compare tab, some words are truncated. I'm using e-sword 11.2.2 on Linux/Wine; not sure what issue is.

Example Gal 4:1; l'héritier and différent are correct in Bible tab, while truncated in Parallel and Compare. I suspect it is due to the accented vowel é.

Bible alone;

Or je dis que pendant tout le temps que l'héritier est un enfant, il n'est en rien différent du serviteur, quoiqu'il soit Seigneur de tout.

Compare:

Or je dis que pendant tout le temps que l'hest un enfant, il n'est en rien diffdu serviteur, quoiqu'il soit Seigneur de tout.

Parallel:

Or je dis que pendant tout le temps que l'hest un enfant, il n'est en rien diffdu serviteur, quoiqu'il soit Seigneur de tout.

--------------

I use another french module which is available on e-sword download, it displays properly on Parallel and Compare; so, I'm not really sure what the issue is.

Also tried e-sword 13.0.0  on WinXP, exactly same results.

Simple Bible Reader conversion may have difficulties with accented characters; that's my thought.

Otherwise, SBRC seems to do a good job.

Edited by PeanutGallery, 16 May 2021 - 02:53 PM.

#4 modulist

modulist

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:44 PM

There is a tool on e-Sword.net for converting Windows e-Sword modules to Apple module format. Unfortunately that tool is for Windows only. It seems to me that there ought to be a Mac version of that tool as well, especially as Mac users would be more likely to need it, particularly those who don't have access to Windows (and Windows can't be run on the new M1 Macs).

While I'm on the topic, I would like to see more Mac-compatible tools for creating, editing, and converting e-Sword modules. I get it that e-Sword began as a Windows-only app, and so the tools will be for Windows only, but e-Sword has been available for iOS and MacOS for many years now.

Would anybody know if there are currently any Mac-compatible tools for creating, editing, and converting e-Sword modules?

Edited by modulist, 11 June 2021 - 02:45 PM.

#5 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:11 PM

There is a tool on e-Sword.net for converting Windows e-Sword modules to Apple module format. Unfortunately that tool is for Windows only. It seems to me that there ought to be a Mac version of that tool as well, especially as Mac users would be more likely to need it, particularly those who don't have access to Windows (and Windows can't be run on the new M1 Macs).

While I'm on the topic, I would like to see more Mac-compatible tools for creating, editing, and converting e-Sword modules. I get it that e-Sword began as a Windows-only app, and so the tools will be for Windows only, but e-Sword has been available for iOS and MacOS for many years now.

Would anybody know if there are currently any Mac-compatible tools for creating, editing, and converting e-Sword modules?

There are not many MAC compatible tools available, however there is a Windows emulator for Mac's called Crossover Mac from a company called Codeweavers. This emulator allows Mac users to run Windows software on a Mac fairly easily. With Crossover Mac installed you can run e-Sword for Windows. the official Windows to Apple converter, and of course the e-Sword module creation tool e-Sword Tooltip NT. This tool can be used to create modules for both Windows and Mac versions of e-Sword.

#6 modulist

modulist

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:51 PM

There are not many MAC compatible tools available, however there is a Windows emulator for Mac's called Crossover Mac from a company called Codeweavers. This emulator allows Mac users to run Windows software on a Mac fairly easily. With Crossover Mac installed you can run e-Sword for Windows. the official Windows to Apple converter, and of course the e-Sword module creation tool e-Sword Tooltip NT. This tool can be used to create modules for both Windows and Mac versions of e-Sword.

What you have said is a good option, except I have one of those new M1 Macs which cannot run Windows—not yet anyway. I do have an older Windows machine with Windows 7, so I do have options, I was just hoping that there might be some software written for the Mac so that I could do everything on my Mac instead of having to switch back and forth. I'll just have to wait for something in the future I guess.

Anyway, thank you very much for your response.

#7 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 04:24 PM

What you have said is a good option, except I have one of those new M1 Macs which cannot run Windows—not yet anyway. I do have an older Windows machine with Windows 7, so I do have options, I was just hoping that there might be some software written for the Mac so that I could do everything on my Mac instead of having to switch back and forth. I'll just have to wait for something in the future I guess.

Anyway, thank you very much for your response.

Windows 10 can run on an M1 Mac using a program called Parallels Desktop 16:

https://www.parallel...ASAAEgL3-_D_BwE

Edited by Tj Higgins, 11 June 2021 - 04:30 PM.

#8 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:48 PM

Mr Higgins,
From recent memory I believe I shared this with you before, and in the event you forgot, I will share this with you again.

As has been said above the Apple/Mac versions use different module file formats and yes there are Apple resources available on this site.

Your friend can also run the Windows version of e-Sword on an Apple/Mac computer by using an emulator such as Crossover Mac

Mr Higgins,
When calling a product, such as Crossover, an emulator, you seriously put yourself in hot water. And here is why...

From Crossover:

CrossOver Mac®
Do you like buying Windows® licenses? You do? Great. You do you. For the rest of humanity, CrossOver is the easiest way to run many Microsoft applications on your Mac without a clunky Windows emulator. (Seriously, have you tried emulators? Do you like how they run on your Mac?) CrossOver works differently. It's not an emulator. It does the work of translating Windows commands into Mac commands so that you can run Windows software as if it were designed native to Mac.

What is shown here is radically different to what an emulator does. Essentially what Crossover does, is it communicates with the host operating system to allow a program which is foreign to it, and would not normally recognize it, to run on it by "translating Windows commands into Mac commands so that you can run Windows software as if it were designed native to Mac," of which then Mac thinks, "ahhh, yep that program is part of my system." In other words, CrossOver makes Mac think that the exe extension is an osx extension. As where emulators just doesn't do that. Fact is all what emulators do is emulates a foreign system on the host system in order to run its programs. No communication takes place, and as such nothing is translated to the host system to run.

So, for you to state that CrossOver is an emulator is both misleading and a misrepresentation of the program which Codeweavers created.

Moreover, when you continue to state that CrossOver is an emulator, knowing that Codeweavers stating it as not an emulator, guess what?! You are lying! Hate to be the one that bears this fact out.

Edited by APsit190, 11 June 2021 - 05:51 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#9 modulist

modulist

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 06:02 PM

Windows 10 can run on an M1 Mac using a program called Parallels Desktop 16:

https://www.parallel...ASAAEgL3-_D_BwE

You're right. It even says it will work with an M1 Mac. Just a few months ago it was a no go. However, it's a bit pricey for me (both for Parallels and for a Windows licence). I guess I was just hoping for software that was native to the Mac and that would be free (like T4). However, I can keep using my old Windows computer. I already have e-Sword, e-Sword PC to Apple Module Converter, and T4 on it. Again, I was just hoping that there was something for the Mac.

On a side note, I do edit e-Sword modules on the Mac using DB Browser for SQLite. It works, and editing the Apple Modules (which use HTML), is not hard for someone with a bit of knowledge of HTML and e-Sword modules. I suppose theoretically one could even create a new module from scratch using this method, but it might be tricky and labour-intensive. But you can't convert from .bblx to .bbli, for example, using DB Browser—that is, I don't know how to convert RTF to HTML.

Thanks again for your responses.

P.S. I'm not offended if you called CrossOver an emulator  ;).

Edited by modulist, 11 June 2021 - 06:04 PM.

#10 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 06:13 PM

Mr Higgins,
From recent memory I believe I shared this with you before, and in the event you forgot, I will share this with you again.

So, for you to state that CrossOver is an emulator is both misleading and a misrepresentation of the program which Codeweavers created.

Moreover, when you continue to state that CrossOver is an emulator, knowing that Codeweavers stating it as not an emulator, guess what?! You are lying! Hate to be the one that bears this fact out.

You are correct it is not an emulator, I did not mean to lie just can't seem to remember that Crossover is not an emulator 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users