Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Could someone possibly do Puritan Paperbacks Series for E-Sword/theWord?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 davejonescue

davejonescue

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:16 AM

Hello, the Puritan Paperbacks is a series that is well known and also pretty expensive ($400.) The awesome thing for our community is it consists of almost entirely of Public Domain works. Below I collected 54 out of the 57 volumes of the series in PDF, not being copies from the publisher of TPP, but the original works from other sources, (the other 3 being original works by the publisher and are not in the public domain.) I would love to see this set as one module, especially the benefit of it having scripture links included. Unfortunately I do not have the personal time to devote to this, but I know there are a lot of experience module makers on here who could probably make short work of it. A lot of the PDF's are from Monergism.com, but are simply the original versions in updated fonts. I have not downloaded the updated text versions from them, because there may be some copyright issues regarding transfer to these programs. I dont know if the module name would have to be changed to "Puritan Digitals" or something like that for copyright purposes, but these were selected for a reason in the series, and I think it would be best to follow the wisdom of people who specialize in Puritan literature. Thank you so much for your consideration. The link to the files is:  bit.ly/puritanpaperbacksdigital      God Bless.

Edited by davejonescue, 18 February 2021 - 12:23 AM.

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 02:03 PM

Hello, the Puritan Paperbacks is a series that is well known and also pretty expensive ($400.) The awesome thing for our community is it consists of almost entirely of Public Domain works. Below I collected 54 out of the 57 volumes of the series in PDF, not being copies from the publisher of TPP, but the original works from other sources, (the other 3 being original works by the publisher and are not in the public domain.) I would love to see this set as one module, especially the benefit of it having scripture links included. Unfortunately I do not have the personal time to devote to this, but I know there are a lot of experience module makers on here who could probably make short work of it. A lot of the PDF's are from Monergism.com, but are simply the original versions in updated fonts. I have not downloaded the updated text versions from them, because there may be some copyright issues regarding transfer to these programs. I dont know if the module name would have to be changed to "Puritan Digitals" or something like that for copyright purposes, but these were selected for a reason in the series, and I think it would be best to follow the wisdom of people who specialize in Puritan literature. Thank you so much for your consideration. The link to the files is:  bit.ly/puritanpaperbacksdigital      God Bless.

Only the non copyrighted volumes can be made into a module or modules and then upload here, the copyright holder'

would have to give permission for any copyrighted material to be used in a module 

Edited by Tj Higgins, 18 February 2021 - 02:08 PM.

#3 davejonescue

davejonescue

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 05:53 PM

Only the non copyrighted volumes can be made into a module or modules and then upload here, the copyright holder'

would have to give permission for any copyrighted material to be used in a module 

Understood. Even though the Monergism works are in the public domain, they are copyrighted, so I have reached out to them to see if we can use them. Will get back when I hear a response yes or no.

#4 davejonescue

davejonescue

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:50 PM

Per your request, I have been in contact with Monergism.com regarding using their edited texts from the PDF's of the books. Permission has been granted to me as long as I give credit to them and a link to their website for further literature on the title page. Using these PDF's will be so much easier than formatting the texts from original sources as they are already edited. And the volumes from Monergism consist of 48 of the 54 available titles in the series (in the public domain.) I will begin working on this module, to include all 54 books under a single heading; if anybody is interested in collaborating, please let me know.

Edited by davejonescue, 20 February 2021 - 12:48 PM.

#5 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:21 PM

Per your request, I have been in contact with Monergism.com regarding using their edited texts from the PDF's of the books. Permission has been granted to me as long as I give credit to them and a link to their website for further literature on the title page. Using these PDF's will be so much easier than formatting the texts from original sources as they are already edited. And the volumes from Monergism consist of 48 of the 54 available titles in the series (in the public domain.) I will begin working on this module, to include all 54 books under a single heading; if anybody is interested in collaborating, please let me know.

I do not recommend combining them into a single module as they are series of separate works and combining them will likely create a very large single module file.

The project will be fairly easy depending on what type of module you are going create for this project. I have downloaded and looked at the book entitled The Acceptable Sacrifice and based on the way the pdf is laid out, creating a topic or reference module will be the easiest move. 

#6 davejonescue

davejonescue

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:22 AM

I do not recommend combining them into a single module as they are series of separate works and combining them will likely create a very large single module file.

The project will be fairly easy depending on what type of module you are going create for this project. I have downloaded and looked at the book entitled The Acceptable Sacrifice and based on the way the pdf is laid out, creating a topic or reference module will be the easiest move. 

Thank you for your reply. I have taken your recommendation into consideration, and respectfully, I will go ahead and make the series in a single module. The PDF's alone only consist of 220 mb's or so, and over at theWord I think there is a 280 mb upload limit, and I dont really see it being over the 195mb allowed here. I want to keep the series together, as the publishers of the PP's have published those titles for a reason, and the main reason for making modules from them, is so the series can be studied with scripture tags, and digital note-taking abilities. I have tried to figure ToolTipNT out, but cant really get the hang of it, especially dealing with a 54-volume series. But, most of the books are relatively small, even before formatting, so it wont be near as large as a 54 volume commentary. I am presently working on the titles that are not formatted already, creating the module in theWord, which personally is more intuitive, especially for larger modules (for me anyways,) and once I get the RTF files of the complete series, formatted, I will give it a shot here or re-request it be made for E-Sword if there are any takers. I think I should be able to pull it off since my main problem is scripture formatting from Roman numerals to Arabic numerals, but it takes me almost the same time to do it manually, with accuracy, than it does to go over it with my mouse in ToolTip and ensure the proper reference. Thank you for your suggestions, and reply. God Bless.

Edited by davejonescue, 21 February 2021 - 02:32 AM.

#7 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:49 AM

Thank you for your reply. I have taken your recommendation into consideration, and respectfully, I will go ahead and make the series in a single module. The PDF's alone only consist of 220 mb's or so, and over at theWord I think there is a 280 mb upload limit, and I dont really see it being over the 195mb allowed here. I want to keep the series together, as the publishers of the PP's have published those titles for a reason, and the main reason for making modules from them, is so the series can be studied with scripture tags, and digital note-taking abilities. I have tried to figure ToolTipNT out, but cant really get the hang of it, especially dealing with a 54-volume series. But, most of the books are relatively small, even before formatting, so it wont be near as large as a 54 volume commentary. I am presently working on the titles that are not formatted already, creating the module in theWord, which personally is more intuitive, especially for larger modules (for me anyways,) and once I get the RTF files of the complete series, formatted, I will give it a shot here or re-request it be made for E-Sword if there are any takers. I think I should be able to pull it off since my main problem is scripture formatting from Roman numerals to Arabic numerals, but it takes me almost the same time to do it manually, with accuracy, than it does to go over it with my mouse in ToolTip and ensure the proper reference. Thank you for your suggestions, and reply. God Bless.

I understand what you are saying, however making a commentary module for e-Sword from the books will be difficult at best given how e-Sword commentary modules are structured. Commentary modules are created to be used in direct connection with bible modules on three levels book, chapter, and verse. Commentary modules can contain notes on entire books of the bible, complete chapters of bible books, and individual verse notes. 

The PP are not set up to be used with e-Sword as a commentary module or modules, this is why I suggested creating topic or reference modules that can be used in e-Sword's reference library window. They will display nicely this way and all of the biblical book and verse references can be Tooltipped to display the verse or verses from a bible module very neatly. 

As for keeping the PP together you can do the set as one Topic module or individual modules as Bible Support allows the uploading of zip files containing multiple modules or works. 

#8 davejonescue

davejonescue

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 05:51 PM

I understand what you are saying, however making a commentary module for e-Sword from the books will be difficult at best given how e-Sword commentary modules are structured. Commentary modules are created to be used in direct connection with bible modules on three levels book, chapter, and verse. Commentary modules can contain notes on entire books of the bible, complete chapters of bible books, and individual verse notes. 

The PP are not set up to be used with e-Sword as a commentary module or modules, this is why I suggested creating topic or reference modules that can be used in e-Sword's reference library window. They will display nicely this way and all of the biblical book and verse references can be Tooltipped to display the verse or verses from a bible module very neatly. 

As for keeping the PP together you can do the set as one Topic module or individual modules as Bible Support allows the uploading of zip files containing multiple modules or works. 

Thank you so much for your reply. I was never intending to make a commentary module from the books, I was only illustrating size difference that commentary volumes are usually considerably larger in size than the volumes in the PP's, so as far as being a large module, it should still be within the 195mb allowed. My intent was always to make a Topic module of it, but I having a problem in ToolTip configuring tree structure that would have the heading of the module, the individual books, and the chapters within the individual books. In theWord you can create modules that have collapsing trees, so you can list all 54 books, then collapse each individual book without collapsing the rest, to only view the contents in that specific book. That is why now I am working on it in theWord. The theWord module making process is pretty straight forward and easy, and you can tooltip scripture references in it for the entire window, and not just individual verses. I am a native theWord user, but was kind of led to create it first in E-Sword since we can always convert up, but not back, and this way I can share it with both communities. Maybe after I get done with it in theWord, someone will want to pick it up for E-Sword, or I can figure it out, just make sure who ever makes it gets permission from Monergism, and there should be no problem with that as they are really good to work with, and mainly want credit and a link to their website on each volume used title page (which is 47 out of 54.) I wish someone would make a Youtube video on exactly how to make a book topic module in ToolTip, because right now it seems like a lot of programming to me, and it is something I am not used to using theWords simple in program module creator. Thank you for your replies, but for now I will be focusing on making this for theWord as that is my native program, and will try to pick up ToolTip as I go. If I cant, I will offer the RTF files here, but only after I create them giving proper credit to their source with the understanding they cannot be altered (if someone from biblesupport would like to do this.) God Bless.

Edited by davejonescue, 21 February 2021 - 06:06 PM.

#9 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:22 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. I was never intending to make a commentary module from the books, I was only illustrating size difference that commentary volumes are usually considerably larger in size than the volumes in the PP's, so as far as being a large module, it should still be within the 195mb allowed. My intent was always to make a Topic module of it, but I having a problem in ToolTip configuring tree structure that would have the heading of the module, the individual books, and the chapters within the individual books. In theWord you can create modules that have collapsing trees, so you can list all 54 books, then collapse each individual book without collapsing the rest, to only view the contents in that specific book. That is why now I am working on it in theWord. The theWord module making process is pretty straight forward and easy, and you can tooltip scripture references in it for the entire window, and not just individual verses. I am a native theWord user, but was kind of led to create it first in E-Sword since we can always convert up, but not back, and this way I can share it with both communities. Maybe after I get done with it in theWord, someone will want to pick it up for E-Sword, or I can figure it out, just make sure who ever makes it gets permission from Monergism, and there should be no problem with that as they are really good to work with, and mainly want credit and a link to their website on each volume used title page (which is 47 out of 54.) I wish someone would make a Youtube video on exactly how to make a book topic module in ToolTip, because right now it seems like a lot of programming to me, and it is something I am not used to using theWords simple in program module creator. Thank you for your replies, but for now I will be focusing on making this for theWord as that is my native program, and will try to pick up ToolTip as I go. If I cant, I will offer the RTF files here, but only after I create them giving proper credit to their source with the understanding they cannot be altered (if someone from biblesupport would like to do this.) God Bless.

I created a topic file of the first book in the PP series this afternoon using Tooltip and it was fairly easy to do just a little time consuming.

Working with Tooltip is not programming as Tooltip is a word processor designed for creating modules for e-Sword. In terms of using Tooltip, the program comes with a comprehensive users manual that is accessible by clicking Help from the Tooltip menu followed by clicking the last item listed in the help menu. This will open the user manual which is in PDF format, the manual explains everything require to create modules for use with e-Sword. 

If you want to see what I created let me know and I will send you copies of both the rtf file and topic file I created. 

One thing I did discover is that it will be easier to create the topic file or files if the PDF files are converted in MS-Wordf Files, this will make copying the text into Tooltip much easier then directly from the PDF files

#10 davejonescue

davejonescue

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:44 PM

I created a topic file of the first book in the PP series this afternoon using Tooltip and it was fairly easy to do just a little time consuming.

Working with Tooltip is not programming as Tooltip is a word processor designed for creating modules for e-Sword. In terms of using Tooltip, the program comes with a comprehensive users manual that is accessible by clicking Help from the Tooltip menu followed by clicking the last item listed in the help menu. This will open the user manual which is in PDF format, the manual explains everything require to create modules for use with e-Sword. 

If you want to see what I created let me know and I will send you copies of both the rtf file and topic file I created. 

One thing I did discover is that it will be easier to create the topic file or files if the PDF files are converted in MS-Wordf Files, this will make copying the text into Tooltip much easier then directly from the PDF files

No, that is alright, I am sure you are much better at creating modules than I am. Just please, if you upload it here make sure that you have given credit to Monergism and a link to their website, as they were under the impression I was creating these files and were very specific how they wanted to be credited; which is "the text of this book was taken from the E-Book created by Monergism © for free access to more works like this, and other theological literature visit www.monergism.com," and this was to be included on the title page of every module (or specific book) of every PDF used by them, though I do not see a problem with them giving you permission to create them, but might want to talk to them so you can credit them properly.. If you used the files from the original book scans, please disregard this comment. I'm sure the biblesupport community will love to have these works avaliable, so however they get done, they get done. God Bless, and best wishes on completing this series for E-Sword. As for me, I am going to concentrate on making this module for theWord, as its module creation process, for me at least, is a lot more straight forward. P.S. if you do get to the book by Bruce, could you share it with me, one of the conditions of permission is that I would share the formatted texts of the books they did not have in E-Book format with them so they can create them, and the volume by Bruce looks like it will be the hardest to format. That is what I am focusing on at the moment. Thanks again for getting this work started for E-Sword.

Edited by davejonescue, 21 February 2021 - 06:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users