Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Need help with e-Sword conversion of Commentary released into Public Domain

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Danny Jones

Danny Jones

New to Bible Support

• Members (T)
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 08:54 PM

I have obtained permission (and the files) from the Blessed Hope Foundation, who owns the rights to the Garner-Howe Baptist Commentary to release the text of this commentary on the Old and New Testament into the public domain and have been asked if it could be converted into e-Sword .CMTX format. It has been previously formatted for Power Bible and the text still contains all the markups for linked verses and scripture reference tooltips. The files that I have been given are in Microsoft Word (.DOC) format. There are 32 files for the New Testament Commentary and 41 Files for the Old Testament Commentary. I have read on this forum about the eSword ToolTip program, but I do not think I would be able to tackle this project myself. 

My question is: Is there a person that is more familiar with creating these modules for e-Sword that might want to take on this project to convert this Commentary to e-Sword format and upload the files here? Thank you in advance and God bless!

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:40 PM

I have obtained permission (and the files) from the Blessed Hope Foundation, who owns the rights to the Garner-Howe Baptist Commentary to release the text of this commentary on the Old and New Testament into the public domain and have been asked if it could be converted into e-Sword .CMTX format. It has been previously formatted for Power Bible and the text still contains all the markups for linked verses and scripture reference tooltips. The files that I have been given are in Microsoft Word (.DOC) format. There are 32 files for the New Testament Commentary and 41 Files for the Old Testament Commentary. I have read on this forum about the eSword ToolTip program, but I do not think I would be able to tackle this project myself. 

My question is: Is there a person that is more familiar with creating these modules for e-Sword that might want to take on this project to convert this Commentary to e-Sword format and upload the files here? Thank you in advance and God bless!

Based on the files you have and there already in MS-Word format, creating an e-Sword module would not be that difficult. e-Sword Tooltip is itself a word processor that was built for the purpose of creating e-Sword modules. 

e-Sword Tooltip is actually very easy to use once one has a basic understanding of how the software and the module creation process is accomplished. 

With your files already in MS-Word format, all that has to be done is copying and pasting the information from the Word files to e-Sword Tooltip. 

You stated that the number of files for the OT is 41 and the number of files for the NT is 32 given the number of files and depending on the size of the files, more than one cmtx module will probably be needed. Even if this is the case, the process would still be easy just somewhat time consuming 

If you could post a little more detail about the Word files it would make determining exactly what needs to be done easier

#3 Danny Jones

Danny Jones

New to Bible Support

• Members (T)
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 10:24 PM

Here is a link to the MS Word Files on OneDrive:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!...l21ftg?e=ftWUJI

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Danny Jones

#4 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 01:53 PM

Here is a link to the MS Word Files on OneDrive:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!...l21ftg?e=ftWUJI

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Danny Jones

I just download and looked at one of the files, creating the commentary will be fairly easy as the Word files a very straight forward. So that will be needed is copying, pasting and possibly some minor editing along the way. 

Do you want to attempt the project on your own using Tooltip? or Do you want someone to do it for you?

#5 Danny Jones

Danny Jones

New to Bible Support

• Members (T)
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 08:47 PM

I don't think that I would be able to tackle this project by myself, so I would like to solicit a volunteer that would be able to do it, or at least help me with some of it. I don't know if it is allowed, encouraged, discouraged, requested or required, but I would be willing to compensate someone for their time on this project. 

I'm getting the hang of the Tool Tip NT program, and I've finished Genesis and Exodus, however I can see that it's going to take quite some time to finish. 

Edited by Danny Jones, 01 February 2021 - 10:28 PM.

#6 Danny Jones

Danny Jones

New to Bible Support

• Members (T)
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 11:55 AM

Ok, so I think I'm getting the hang of it. I'm using macros to automate some of the work, but there is a lot of manual editing that needs to be done. I've got a new appreciation for everyone who has put so much work into the Bible resources that I use on e-Sword. I've finished Genesis- Deuteronomy. I estimate that it's taking 2-5 hours per book, depending how much manual editing is needed.

#7 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 02:27 PM

Ok, so I think I'm getting the hang of it. I'm using macros to automate some of the work, but there is a lot of manual editing that needs to be done. I've got a new appreciation for everyone who has put so much work into the Bible resources that I use on e-Sword. I've finished Genesis- Deuteronomy. I estimate that it's taking 2-5 hours per book, depending how much manual editing is needed.

I am not sure how much editing you are doing the but the word documents should not need that much editing unless you are making major changes. The commentaries on the longer books will take a little longer just because of the amount if information involved. 

If you want me to look at what you have done so far I will

#8 Danny Jones

Danny Jones

New to Bible Support

• Members (T)
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 11:40 PM

What is taking me so long are the verse links to the comments. What I mean is that (for instance) a comment is made for Exodus 1:1-6, however, the marked verse that is listed in the file only has:

++Ex1:1

I can use the find and replace tool to replace all instances of "++" with the e-Sword mark "÷" and also replace "Ex" with Exodus. That is fairly simple. However, each comment has only one verse listed, though it spans several verses. I am manually typing the "1-6" or whatever the verses are to each comment link. 

Also, I am finding that the scripture reference abbreviations are not uniform throughout, and are giving tooltip a hard time. So, I'm manually editing all the bed references -there are many. I have edited the abbreviations external list, and that has helped some, but some of them could be mistaken for another book (i.e. Jud - Judges or Jude?) Mark is sometimes abbreviated Mk, Ma, or Mr. Many other book abbreviations are the same. I could skip them, I suppose, and not worry about tooltipping them, but there are so many that the software is missing, I really want to correct everything before releasing the commentary.

My 16 year old daughter helped me today, and she finished the entire New Testament in about five hours (minus the bad references that I will need to manually correct later). I have completed Genesis - Job in the Old Testament completely, and have tested the commentary file in e-Sword. Everything is looking good so far. I think another day or two of work and it will be complete. 

One question: How large of a file is too big? Should I break up the commentary into Old and New Testament files? What I have exported to CMTX so far (Genesis-Job) is about 5MB. I guesstimate that the completed whole Bible commentary would be between 20-25 MB. 

Edited by Danny Jones, 02 February 2021 - 11:48 PM.

#9 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:12 AM

I was encouraged to see you recognised the markup issues and how to fix them. That is what I would have done to make it sync at the verse level.

Take a deep breath when you get to Proverbs it will be more of a challenge.

As to the file size, that will be fine.

I like that it has given you a greater appreciation for module making struggles, and believe me this module has good data compared to some.

#10 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 02:57 PM

What is taking me so long are the verse links to the comments. What I mean is that (for instance) a comment is made for Exodus 1:1-6, however, the marked verse that is listed in the file only has:

++Ex1:1

I can use the find and replace tool to replace all instances of "++" with the e-Sword mark "÷" and also replace "Ex" with Exodus. That is fairly simple. However, each comment has only one verse listed, though it spans several verses. I am manually typing the "1-6" or whatever the verses are to each comment link. 

Also, I am finding that the scripture reference abbreviations are not uniform throughout, and are giving tooltip a hard time. So, I'm manually editing all the bed references -there are many. I have edited the abbreviations external list, and that has helped some, but some of them could be mistaken for another book (i.e. Jud - Judges or Jude?) Mark is sometimes abbreviated Mk, Ma, or Mr. Many other book abbreviations are the same. I could skip them, I suppose, and not worry about tooltipping them, but there are so many that the software is missing, I really want to correct everything before releasing the commentary.

My 16 year old daughter helped me today, and she finished the entire New Testament in about five hours (minus the bad references that I will need to manually correct later). I have completed Genesis - Job in the Old Testament completely, and have tested the commentary file in e-Sword. Everything is looking good so far. I think another day or two of work and it will be complete. 

One question: How large of a file is too big? Should I break up the commentary into Old and New Testament files? What I have exported to CMTX so far (Genesis-Job) is about 5MB. I guesstimate that the completed whole Bible commentary would be between 20-25 MB. 

e-Sword uses three letter abbreviations such Jud for Jude and Jdg for Judges.

20-25 MB will not be too big, there are some e-Sword resources far larger then that  such as the College Press Bible Study Textbook Series which consists of 59 volumes and is 237 MB is size

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users