Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

e-sword for Linux?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Charles E. Miller Sr.

Charles E. Miller Sr.

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:37 AM

I have been using e-sword for 10-15 years on windows pc, but I am going to move over to Linux Mint Cinnamon with my new computer. Am I going to be able to use e-sword on my Linux computer at all? I have seen that a program called "Wine" will enable Windows programs  to work, but e-sword is probably bigger than most Windows apps. Is it feasible to download and/or use e-sword at all in Linux. Please advise asap as I will be buying  my new computer very soon. Thanks in advance and God Bless!!!

Charles E. Miller, Sr.

#2 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:48 PM

This link supports Ubuntu type:

https://appdb.winehq...rsion&iId=31351

I use a Debian 9 (Stretch} based Linux; e-sword works quite well with my version, I used PlayOnLinux to install since it was easier to load dependencies. Otherwise, you'll need Wine and Winetricks to load dependencies.

#3 silverys

silverys

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCaribbean Sea

Posted 12 July 2021 - 06:38 PM

esword v10 to v12 runs on linux using WINE ,I recommend using playonlinux, or crossover and installing it inside a bottle, you can search for "how to install esword on linux" on youtube to know how to do it, anyway Beyond that there are other programs like Xiphos bible study or BibleTime, these I think you can install them from the repositories of your distro, they are similar but they use the modules in the-sword-project format.

#4 DaveGNyberg

DaveGNyberg

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 03:52 PM

I recently upgraded my monitors from 720p to 4K.

I'm running Ubuntu, current LTS.

E-sword runs fine, except the screen fonts are very tiny and I can barely read them.

I've tried a few things with little success.

I changed the font size in E-sword and the window text gets bigger, but the menu and top bar text remains tiny.

If I change the emulated resolution in wine, I get a tiny window and still can't read anything.

Does anyone know a solution for this. I can change the monitor resolution, but that means I can't run 4K when E-sword is active.

Thank in advance for any ideas.

Dave

#5 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 04:14 PM

I recently upgraded my monitors from 720p to 4K.

I'm running Ubuntu, current LTS.

E-sword runs fine, except the screen fonts are very tiny and I can barely read them.

I've tried a few things with little success.

I changed the font size in E-sword and the window text gets bigger, but the menu and top bar text remains tiny.

If I change the emulated resolution in wine, I get a tiny window and still can't read anything.

Does anyone know a solution for this. I can change the monitor resolution, but that means I can't run 4K when E-sword is active.

Thank in advance for any ideas.

Dave

There is no way to change the menu font size only only the size of the text in e-Sword

#6 dyess002

dyess002

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 03:13 AM

I wish that ESword had Linux support because Linux Mint is my favorite Operating System. I am forced to use Windows because of this issue..

#7 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 20 December 2022 - 05:54 AM

Doesn't Linux allow you to get the display on the screen to be made bigger, for example, 125% or larger, so that everything that is projected to the screen will be enlarged? If the resolution of your new monitor can provide for larger than 100 percent, then this may be your solution to your problem, so that everything is projected to the screen monitor as a much bigger picture.

When you go to Rick Meyers' website, look in the Frequently asked Questions, on the FAQ tab.

https://www.e-sword.net/faq.html

E-SWORD 13 DOESN'T RUN ON LINUX! NOW WHAT?

If you are unable to get the Windows Media Player installed under WINE, then the last stable version of e-Sword on LINUX is version 12.2 which you can download here: 
And Rick Meyers provides a download for e-Sword version 12.2  https://www.e-sword.net/files/e-sword_1220_setup.exe

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 20 December 2022 - 06:11 AM.

#8 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 06:41 AM

I have both e-Sword v.11 and v.12 running on Linux; v.11 is much more stable, v.12 does not display the files in the downloads.

On Windows 7, e-Sword v.12 does display the files in the downloads; so, I know the problem is not the software.

#9 willysjeepman

willysjeepman

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 12:56 PM

For what it's worth, I just installed (an hour before this post) Linux Mint Mate 21.2 on a Lenovo Chromebook 2 (wiped out Chrome OS, flashed custom firmware, install Linux Mint)

• I allowed the system to apply updates
  • Installed PlayOnLinux from the Software Manager
  • Downloaded e-Sword 12.2.0 (from the filehorse website)
  • Started PlayOnLinux and installed e-Sword
  • Allowed PlayOnLinux to create a desktop icon

I was able to start e-Sword and it runs flawlessly for the features I tested. (still testing)  

I then bulk-copied my resources from my Windows system over to the e-Sword container on my Linux system and e-Sword recognized them.

All of this was "stock", no need to run winetricks or install anything else.

I've had mixed results in the past attempting to run e-Sword on various Linux distros.  Often there would be problems with font scaling and clarity, clipboard not working, inability to install modules, and other miscellaneous hiccups. 

I don't know what's changed, but this has been the smoothest install of e-Sword on Linux that I've experienced.  

I hope this helps.

#10 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 02:28 PM

I don't know what's changed, but this has been the smoothest install of e-Sword on Linux that I've experienced.  

I hope this helps.

Are you able to access modules from e_Sword v.12 Download menu? That's where I ran into problems, and had to stick with v.11

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users