Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Can e-Sword search Hebrew text (either in Bible or Commentary)

10 replies to this topic

#1 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 12:53 AM

Good day all.  I'm still using an older version of e-Sword (10.4).  It cannot search Hebrew text in either a Hebrew Bible module or in Hebrew commentaries.  Can any newer version of e-Sword yet search for Hebrew text at all, in either Bible, Commentary, or Dictionary modules?  Thank you.

Also, does any version of e-Sword support inserting pictures / graphics into Commentary modules, without some special permission from Rick Meyers?  (I use Brent Hildebrand's Tooltip Tool NT program to develop modules).

Thank you.

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 10:38 AM

Yes, but the problem is that BBLX Bible modules are less compatible with e-Sword 11 and newer.

The solution is to convert the BBLX to BBLI Apple modules that use HTM code instead of RTF.

Apple Converter

https://e-sword.net/extras.html

The modules of Rick Meyers are locked so you need the last editions by downloading it again.

HOT and HOT+ (in 10.4) are replaced by Hebrew OT and Hebrew OT+ (in edition 11)

I should make a backup of both modules.

Edited by Katoog, 29 December 2020 - 10:40 AM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:34 PM

Can you expand on your answer of "Yes"?  Exactly what can be searched in terms of Hebrew text in e-Sword (11.0 or newer, as you say)?  Bible modules?  Commentary modules?  Dictionary modules?  And is it only for 11.0 modules (i.e. the new file format BBLI Apple) that you mentioned, or if I upgrade from e-Sword 10.4 to say, e-Sword 12.0, would I suddenly have the ability to search Hebrew text in all (or any) of my modules (Bible, Commentary, Dictionary)?

Thanks.

#4 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 12:27 AM

If you use 10.4 then must you use the old BBLX, CMTX and DCTX format.

But for 11 or higher must you use the new BBLI, CMTI and DCTI format that use Unicode.

To make it searchable

All the Hebrew Bible modules that I own are updated to the BBLI format are searchable.

(all Hebrew Study Bible modules, HBS5,HBSm, HOT Aleppo,Hebrew OT and Hebrew OT+,HWSG, IHOT+, HSP+,DDS, Hebrew NT DD, Hebrew NT SG .

And my own edited updates of HOT and HOT+, and other Hebrew modules that I try to make.

http://www.biblesupp...alms/?hl=hebrew

I use e-Sword Version 12.2.0

Commentary and Dictionary from Rick Meyers are not searchable in Hebrew because they are not made for Unicode.

I'm not sure about the Commentary and Dictionary here but when I select a Hebrew word then is here ???? instead of the Hebrew letters.

Edited by Katoog, 31 December 2020 - 12:36 AM.

#5 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 03:34 PM

Okay, so if I understand correctly, Hebrew is *not* searchable in any version of e-Sword with Commentary and Dictionary.

And Hebrew is *only* searchable in Hebrew e-Sword 11 and newer on those newer, updated Hebrew modules in the BBLI format.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the general picture.

Thanks, Katoog.

#6 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:48 AM

Okay, so if I understand correctly, Hebrew is *not* searchable in any version of e-Sword with Commentary and Dictionary.

And Hebrew is *only* searchable in Hebrew e-Sword 11 and newer on those newer, updated Hebrew modules in the BBLI format.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the general picture.

Thanks, Katoog.

I just did a test with the word אדם(Adam, red) in Extended Commentary Search

The dictionaries SECE+, BDB+,ETCBC,HL-BDB from  Eliran Wong working because of the Unicode.

The same for the ETCBC commentary. Those are DCTI and CMTI modules.

The HOT and HOT+ for e-Sword 9 and 10 were searchable because of the RTF code method but other Hebrew modules may not be searchable because they use the wrong RTF code method or the wrong module version number.

The version number for e-Sword 9 and 10 is 2 while the Unicode Apple and 11 or higher  are version number 4

Greek has the same trouble as Hebrew.

Newer e-Sword editions are less and less compatible with RTF code.  So Version 12.2.0 is less compatible with RTF code than version 11

To create Unicode are there two methods

1) every letter is is one letter in Unicode and "saved as" UTF-8 encoding in notepad.
2) The using U+number for every letter.

I use the first method and this is also the reason why my Greek and Hebrew Apple modules are small in kb

#7 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 06:02 PM

Thank you again Katoog.

#8 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 03 January 2021 - 05:22 PM

in 10 one can search Hebrew word in Bible.  best to use Strongs# for words, because Hebrew and Greek words are not the exact same spelling.  REGEX will assist in parts of Hebrew or greek word.  Commentaries are different because the designer of module possibly misspelled Hebrew, the author of the work included/not included vowel points, uses the dictionary form instead of the word in the text or the word is written defective/full.  In Commentaries search for the English or verse.

#9 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 10:49 AM

I use e-Sword Version 12.2.0
Commentary and Dictionary from Rick Meyers are not searchable in Hebrew because they are not made for Unicode.
I'm not sure about the Commentary and Dictionary here but when I select a Hebrew word then is here ???? instead of the Hebrew letters.

Some old information from Rick Meyers 2016
* VB6 menus cannot display Unicode characters. This has always been a problem, and has been present in all previous versions of e-Sword. What you couldn't do before was right-click over these words and do a "Quick Search". So while the menu looks funny, you now have new functionality :-)

#10 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 10:52 PM

JPG:

"So while the menu looks funny, you now have new functionality :-)"

What does this mean?  Does it mean that you *can* now search Hebrew in e-Sword 12.2.0?  And let's say that I have hundreds of Bibles, Commentary, and Dictionary modules saved up over the years which I use in e-Sword 10.4.0.  If I were to upgrade to 12.2.0 (or newest version), would all these .bblx .cmtx . dctx modules work, or not?  And would I be able to search any and all Hebrew and Greek text in all / none / some of them?

Thanks.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users