Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword 10.0.4 Released (Test Drive Version)

e-Sword 10 Reference Library

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#291 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:59 AM

OK, so where can I get version 10.0.2 so that my commentaries will work again while I wait for 10.0.4?

The link to 10.0.2 on the front page takes me to 10.0.3 which I'm already using.....

Find someone who archives all of their e-sword downloads and get a copy from them?

I'm not sure that distribution of old versions of the software is completely "kosher" , but I am sure someone here will be able to clarify that.
Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#292 hrob1

hrob1

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:37 AM

I downloaded the new version 10. of E-Sword. It deleted the DSB by Barclay. This is an invaluable resource for me in NT study.
How do I replace Barclay? It appears in the commentary box as DSB but will not function. Any ideas?

Thanks

HRoberts

#293 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

I downloaded the new version 10. of E-Sword. It deleted the DSB by Barclay. This is an invaluable resource for me in NT study.
How do I replace Barclay? It appears in the commentary box as DSB but will not function. Any ideas?

Thanks

HRoberts

Hi,

e-Sword did not delete anything. Certain third party resources are not displaying properly in 10.0.3 because they were not constructed properly. In the soon-to-be released 10.0.4, Rick changed his code to accommodate the third party resources that were not displaying. Thus, these modules will display properly in 10.0.4.

The truth is, these resources are still not in compliance with e-Sword. The resources lack the proper RTF color specification. That means, even with 10.0.4, when you search one of these commentaries or dictionaries, the words that match your keyword search will not be highlighted in yellow. Another example: because the color specification is missing, you cannot change the Tooltip color like you can other resources by going to Options/Text Colors

Small problems like this will need to be fixed by rebuilding these resources with the proper e-Sword color specifications in place.

#294 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

10.0.4 has been released. One bug fix I notice is that the Parallel Bible and Harmony features now have better zooms. Rather than just enlarging the text, the text is enlarged and re-flowed so horizontal scrolling is not necessary. I'm sure there's other bug fixes as well.

Rick also changed his code to accommodate the third party resources that were not displaying.

Another nice feature: When you Extended Search the Reference Library, you can now press the Escape button to exit the search (in case you tried searching 10,000 topics and you're tired of waiting).

http://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html

Edited by Josh Bond, 04 November 2011 - 12:02 PM.

#295 chuckgrantham

chuckgrantham

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

Big thanks to Rick for the quick response on the third party modules. I wish I could get a two day response to most of my car and appliance problems!

#296 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

e-Sword did not delete anything. Certain third party resources are not displaying properly in 10.0.3 because they were not constructed properly.

The truth is, these resources are still not in compliance with e-Sword. The resources lack the proper RTF color specification. That means, even with 10.0.4, when you search one of these commentaries or dictionaries, the words that match your keyword search will not be highlighted in yellow. Another example: because the color specification is missing, you cannot change the Tooltip color like you can other resources by going to Options/Text Colors

Josh,
This goes to just how badly some resources have been created. It seems that some just use i.e., BeST or some other conversion tool and just mass produce resources without checking for errors and conflicts. They don't seem to have the skills (and this is not maligning them, but an observation of what seems to be taking place) or rtf code knowledge to fix these issues.

I've downloaded Module resources from this site where font sizes were at about from 8 points to 20 points. Ridiculous!!! Also, when I was running version 9.91, I've come across a few Commentary resources that couldn't be viewed, and yet the text was there when I opened the file in SQLite Manager.

So, I'm just wondering how much of the resources that are here are just merely mass produced and unworkable and/or just barely workable.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

#297 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

Josh,
This goes to just how badly some resources have been created. It seems that some just use i.e., BeST or some other conversion tool and just mass produce resources without checking for errors and conflicts. They don't seem to have the skills (and this is not maligning them, but an observation of what seems to be taking place) or rtf code knowledge to fix these issues.

I've downloaded Module resources from this site where font sizes were at about from 8 points to 20 points. Ridiculous!!! Also, when I was running version 9.91, I've come across a few Commentary resources that couldn't be viewed, and yet the text was there when I opened the file in SQLite Manager.

So, I'm just wondering how much of the resources that are here are just merely mass produced and unworkable and/or just barely workable.

Blessings,

We have a good community feedback system to find problematic resources. We've had a few reported since the site began. Most of them were an empty file with an advertisement to a website which is basically spam. A few are like Bullinger's Figures of Speech module--incomplete. 10.0.4 fixes the issue with RTF headers, so those modules are ok except for the color issues. I don't knowingly host modules that don't display at all--those are brought to our attention pretty well by the members.

Tthere is a gap between a module maker should know and what they do know--but I've found it's not often a lack of technical knowledge as it is a "blindness to usability". And that's not just limited to e-Sword, by the way. Some people are after numbers. I prefer quality personally. If verses aren't tootooltipped, roman numerals instead of verse numbers, odd line breaks, OCR errors, large font sizes, etc--how much use will that resource get? You have to ask: are you putting out resources to be used? Or are you putting out resources so you can say you put out another resource? I'm in favor of the former even though it requires more time (and that's not to say my modules are perfect...).

The technical gap is usually the fault of the tool maker. If the tool works right, it should produce good RTF like Tooltip 3 generally does (which is what I use). In this case, the modules converted from TheWord accounted for a large portion of the modules that didn't work with 10.0.3. And guess who did many of those conversions? Me. :)

#298 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

And guess who did many of those conversions? Me. :)

Well Josh, that is one huge admission and one which make your title "Humble Servant" more of a reality than just something you like to call yourself. And for that you get huge kudos from me (not that I regard myself as anything exceptional).

Blessings,
X (formerly Twitter)

#299 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

We have a good community feedback system to find problematic resources. We've had a few reported since the site began. Most of them were an empty file with an advertisement to a website which is basically spam. A few are like Bullinger's Figures of Speech module--incomplete. 10.0.4 fixes the issue with RTF headers, so those modules are ok except for the color issues. I don't knowingly host modules that don't display at all--those are brought to our attention pretty well by the members.

Tthere is a gap between a module maker should know and what they do know--but I've found it's not often a lack of technical knowledge as it is a "blindness to usability". And that's not just limited to e-Sword, by the way. Some people are after numbers. I prefer quality personally. If verses aren't tootooltipped, roman numerals instead of verse numbers, odd line breaks, OCR errors, large font sizes, etc--how much use will that resource get? You have to ask: are you putting out resources to be used? Or are you putting out resources so you can say you put out another resource? I'm in favor of the former even though it requires more time (and that's not to say my modules are perfect...).

The technical gap is usually the fault of the tool maker. If the tool works right, it should produce good RTF like Tooltip 3 generally does (which is what I use). In this case, the modules converted from TheWord accounted for a large portion of the modules that didn't work with 10.0.3. And guess who did many of those conversions? Me. :)

Kind off brings us back to having(Needing) a PUBLISHED standard for creatring modules a check list off do's and donot's
and my hope is all in one module creation program (T3 is the closest to being an all in one program for creating modules)

without something to go by a well intended person will use trial end error

Edited by DSaw, 04 November 2011 - 02:04 PM.

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#300 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

Well Josh, that is one huge admission and one which make your title "Humble Servant" more of a reality than just something you like to call yourself. And for that you get huge kudos from me (not that I regard myself as anything exceptional).

Blessings,

Haha, your bluntness makes me laugh, Stephen. I've found when you make an error, just own up to it. :) A lot of the resources I didn't personally convert, but I gave others the tools and training to do so--not knowing that a module wasn't supposed to have it's own RTF header (because e-Sword inserts one itself). Obviously, I did convert ones like the Pulpit Commentary. Fortunately, Rick bailed us out with a coding change.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: e-Sword 10, Reference Library

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users