Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword 10.0.4 Released (Test Drive Version)

e-Sword 10 Reference Library

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#161 dyan

dyan

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

hi you are right the other modules do not appear. Now I would like for that to change. because I have over 2gigs of topics to use. That is one of the things that I would like have.

Now check this out. I just copied my e-Sword folder to my usb stick and changed the resource location. I reopened e-Sword, all my modules show up and it is from my usb. :-) like that.

So now the question is how portable can e-Sword be?

thanks josh

Like I said above, except for kjv.bblx, kjv+.bblx, tsk.cmtx, strong.dctx, robertson.harx, and crockett.harx all other files can be moved to any other folder. If these files are removed from the Program Folder they will be recreated by e-Sword when it starts up. If e-Sword is installed on another computer, it should be able to read from a USB drive, though I haven't tried it out.

#162 jorge

jorge

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:02 AM

Jorge Melendez asks,  Why e-sword is very slow.

#163 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

I like Dyan's solution. The main reason to have resources in one spot is ease of backing up. Dyan's solution is a good one.

Perhaps in future releases, Rick will make it possible to set the path for every type of file, too. Could that be too difficult?

Hmm, I suppose one folder (my documents\esword) is easier to backup than two (program files and my documents). But if you can back up one, why not back up both? I don't see the ease of backup as a big deal. I see inexperienced users asking me why the module installer doesn't work as a big deal. :) But Rick may like the idea. He really does read this forum almost every day and loves the suggestions.

#164 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:17 AM

Now check this out. I just copied my e-Sword folder to my usb stick and changed the resource location. I reopened e-Sword, all my modules show up and it is from my usb. :-) like that.

So that works, good deal.

So now the question is how portable can e-Sword be?

thanks josh

The application itself? Not very portable. It still requires an install on the computer. But the "public' data is portable, as you demonstrated.

#165 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:33 AM

I like the fact that I can put all my modules on my usb so I can free up my hard drive. the kjv + tsk does work on my usb.

thanks
Patchworkid
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#166 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:10 AM

tags will be a great way to sort material; two tags are better; multiple tags are best. Example:

Ephesians; devotional; - you can expect a very non-technical look at Ephesians, even if the title is "Doe, John - Treasures from the Armor and More" (made that title up, by the way).

If there's great material in that book, most users will never know it, because they'll never know what's in it without looking and learning (and I think many users are probably guilty of this).

By the way - with eS10's filter, the above fictitious title should be "Doe, John - Treasures from the Armor and More" (Galatians), with the "(Galatians)" in parenthesis, so the user will know it's explanatory and not part of the title. Now, when you filter on "Galatians," it will show up in the RefViewer.

Dr. Dave posted this in another thread for a different subject. But if one day e-Sword supported a tagging system for finding resources in the Reference Library, that would be super cool. From a development perspective, seems you would only need a sqlite database with tags/resource names. And let the Reference Library filter by the tags. I say only in italics beause the road to development hades is paved with "only" and "easy". Anyway, there's a suggestion... :D This almost certainly won't be anytime soon, and it may never come about. Just one of those ideas.

#167 dyan

dyan

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

Hi,

After seeing Dr. Dave's post in the other thread, I was about to add my two cents, but Josh beat me to it. :)

Anyways here is my two cents worth.....

As Josh said, tagging the Ref Lib, is awesome, and I'm really looking forward to that, but I would also love to see tagging throughout e-Sword. This is an idea whose time has come. What I would like to suggest is tagging not just for resources in the Ref Lib, but for all modules in e-Sword. This could probably set from Menu>Options>Resource, which could work something like a workspace, for specialized studies e.g. Greek, Hebrew, OT, NT, etc.

#168 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

Hi,

After seeing Dr. Dave's post in the other thread, I was about to add my two cents, but Josh beat me to it. :)

Anyways here is my two cents worth.....

As Josh said, tagging the Ref Lib, is awesome, and I'm really looking forward to that, but I would also love to see tagging throughout e-Sword. This is an idea whose time has come. What I would like to suggest is tagging not just for resources in the Ref Lib, but for all modules in e-Sword. This could probably set from Menu>Options>Resource, which could work something like a workspace, for specialized studies e.g. Greek, Hebrew, OT, NT, etc.

from Dave, to Dyan:

+2

!

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#169 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:17 PM

e-Sword 10.0.2 is released. This includes numerous bug fixes and the Extended Search for the Reference Library! Happy testing and please report issues in this thread (as opposed to starting new ones).

#170 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

My initial thoughts are. The "odd" background color in the Topics Editor is gone. That was bugging me. :) I just searched 103 topics files with no problem. The result screen is shown below. I would encourage you folks to be judicious in how many topics you attempt to search at once. The more topics you search (and the larger those files are), the longer this will take.

But this Extended Search for the Reference Library is HUGE. Without this, you had no way of using hundreds of topics unless you remembered the content of each. Now you can better leverage your large e-Sword library.
Attached File  ref-library-extendedsearch.png   188.18K   26 downloads

Edited by Josh Bond, 31 October 2011 - 12:39 PM.
Changed screenshot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: e-Sword 10, Reference Library

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users