Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword 10.0.4 Released (Test Drive Version)

e-Sword 10 Reference Library

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#151 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

Patch,

Under "Options/Resources" you set the path for the Reference Viewer. At this time, it appears that the RefViewer can only "see" ref materials in one directory.

With the .topx Editor, you can choose the path for viewing .topx files by right-clicking in the window and choose open. But again, it looks like the .topx Editor can only open files from one directory at a time.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#152 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:31 AM

hi i did exactly that I try to open a topic from my documents e-Sword folder but it said

OK I opened editable Topics that is not locked. I could not open Lewis Sperry Chafer
SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY in my documents e-Sword folder or on my memory stick. So I copied to my c:Program files e-Sword folder and it opened.

I just would like to know why it did not open from my memory stick or from my Doc e-Sword folder?

thanks

Hi i tried to open my topics by pressing control , right click - i get error can not open can any body help

thanks

Hi Niobi,

Downloaded Topics are intended to be opened from the Reference Library. The Editor/Topics Window is designed for use with your personal topics only. You may find ways around that but it defeats the purpose of the new Reference Library. :blink:

Dr. Dave explains the rest above.

#153 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:31 AM

HI Dave - thanks i changed it. So Can Reference library only read one source location?

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#154 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:34 AM

HI josh,

I just wanted to free up my C:program files - e-Sword folder. from a lot of modules. (topics)

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#155 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:41 AM

So you'd like to be able to specify more than one location where the Reference Library reads from? Or maybe specify the location where only the Reference Library reads from? That might be good for people with gigs of topics.

Changing the folder setting in Options>Resources to your USB stick means e-Sword looks to that folder for commentaries, bibles, dictionaries, and topics/refx. That also means your USB stick must have your commentaries, bibles, dictionaries too or they won't appear.

#156 dyan

dyan

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:46 AM

Hi,

Except for kjv.bblx, kjv+.bblx, tsk.cmtx, strong.dctx, robertson.harx, and crockett.harx, I've moved all my bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, harmonies, etc to My Documents\e-Sword folder and set e-Sword (from Options>Resource) to read from the My Documents\e-Sword folder. Everything seems to be working just fine. I'm sure it's also possible to move it to a USB drive.

#157 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

Patch,

Yes - as of 10/31/2011, eSword expects these settings:

1) all public information (.bblx, .dctx, .cmtx, .refx, .devx, etc. - and now the .topx that are publicly distributed) to be in the "...Program Files(....)/e-Sword" folder
2) all private information (.prlx, .memx, .notx, .lstx, .etc - and now topic.topx) to be in the "...Documents/e-Sword" folder
3) eSword does not expect normal users to have multiple private .topx files. eSword does expect that all users private topic notes to be as individual chapters inside of the topic.topx file

eSword does allow for multiple .topx files in the "...Documents/e-Sword" folder. Rick has just made it difficult for the typical user to make more than one .topx file.

Edited by DoctorDaveT, 31 October 2011 - 08:54 AM.

Dave

#158 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

hi you are right the other modules do not appear. Now I would like for that to change. because I have over 2gigs of topics to use. That is one of the things that I would like have.

Now check this out. I just copied my e-Sword folder to my usb stick and changed the resource location. I reopened e-Sword, all my modules show up and it is from my usb. :-) like that.

So now the question is how portable can e-Sword be?

thanks josh

#159 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:56 AM

Hi,

Except for kjv.bblx, kjv+.bblx, tsk.cmtx, strong.dctx, robertson.harx, and crockett.harx, I've moved all my bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, harmonies, etc to My Documents\e-Sword folder and set e-Sword (from Options>Resource) to read from the My Documents\e-Sword folder. Everything seems to be working just fine. I'm sure it's also possible to move it to a USB drive.

I know you know this already. :) For anyone else's benefit, if you download a self installing module, remember to correct the install path where the modules go. The (non user editable) self installing modules go to the e-Sword default location of program files\e-sword.

#160 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

I like Dyan's solution. The main reason to have resources in one spot is ease of backing up. Dyan's solution is a good one.

Perhaps in future releases, Rick will make it possible to set the path for every type of file, too. Could that be too difficult?

Dave

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: e-Sword 10, Reference Library

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users