Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Using E-Sword Module for another database.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MJaillet

MJaillet

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:49 PM

Friends here,

Hello.

And, Christ is Risen. That is good news to me. I hope it is for you.

I have a plan to create an app of my own. And, I want at least 3 bible versions available in it, including the Jay Green Literal Version, which we use in our church. I have ZERO app making experience. But, I am working on that. I was wondering if the best way to get a bible into my database might not be to use an E-Sword module. I use E-Sword daily, so, it is a natural choice for me. What does anyone think? I am considering using Base from Libre Office or Filemaker.

Thanks - M. Jaillet.  He ever LIVES to intercede for me. I need His mercy.

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:17 PM

Friends here,

Hello.

I have a plan to create an app of my own. And, I want at least 3 bible versions available in it, including the Jay Green Literal Version, which we use in our church. I have ZERO app making experience. But, I am working on that. I was wondering if the best way to get a bible into my database might not be to use an E-Sword module. I use E-Sword daily, so, it is a natural choice for me. What does anyone think? I am considering using Base from Libre Office or Filemaker.

To create an app, which is a piece of software, a program; your very first step is to get a hold of a Programming IDE, such as Microsoft Visual Studio Community Edition. This is free.

Considering you don't know how to program to design a Graphical User interface (that is the visible part of the program which you can see) Now, there are excellent videos on YouTube and Microsoft's Channel 9, when gives really good tutorials both on how to design and how to write the code.

This leads me on to my second part, the learning how to write the code.

The first thing you need to do is to select a programming language, and for a real "I now absolutely nothing about how to program" kind of person, I recommend C#, mostly because its pretty much simple to get one's head around it. Learning to code in C# (C Sharp) has a huge amount of video resources available for any beginner both on YouTube and Channel 9.

OK, not that is all done and dusted, before jumping into the deep end and trying to write a Bible Study application, I suggest you start off with the basics of design and writing syntax (that's like the commands and procedures for telling a program what to do), and then from there build up to writing more complex pieces of software to the point where you feel confident to tackling a Bible Study piece of software.

Trust what I have shared with you proves helpful.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 03 November 2020 - 07:17 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 MJaillet

MJaillet

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 08:03 PM

Thanks.

Thats more than Great.

I will check out your suggested resources.

Tanks, again, M. Jaillet   

His resurrection makes mine possible.  TY Jesus!!

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 04 November 2020 - 03:42 PM

Thanks.

Thats more than Great.

I will check out your suggested resources.

Tanks, again, M. Jaillet   

His resurrection makes mine possible.  TY Jesus!!

Just to add something I missed out before.

Visual Studio comes bundled with a number of Programming Languages, which are:

• C#
  • C++
  • F#
  • JavaScript
  • Python
  • Query Language (a database programming language)
  • TypeScript
  • Visual Basic
  • XAML

When creating software using Visual Studio, you are able to create them for several platforms, and cross platforms:

• Android
  • Azure
  • iOS
  • Linux
  • macOS
  • tvOS
  • Windows
  • Xbox

And finally, you will be able to create software for quite a number of Environments:

• Cloud
  • Console
  • Extensions
  • Desktop
  • Games
  • IoT
  • and etc.

Just to name a few.

Albeit your chief interest is mainly to develop a Bible Study application, once you have been bitten by that Programming Bug, you will find that your interest in programming may just take you to places that you may never have imagined before.

Just to let you know, this actually comes from a 71 year old bloke who learned programming in my mid 50s. So, on that note I wish you all success in what you desire to do, and that you will be blessed, and be a blessing to those you touch by what you desire to do.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 04 November 2020 - 03:44 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 MJaillet

MJaillet

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 10:58 PM

APsit190,

Hello.

I was hoping/wanting to do something more simple - just use Libre Office Base and the tools in it to get a real simple operation going just to assign indiividual attributes to individual verses - except you could have an unlimited number and type of attributes to assign.  I just figure my first task is to load in a usable bible database(or, data) to start. Then I can figure out how to design a window and functions to assign and store the attributes. I thought this would be much easier than learning how to program, frrom scratch. I might need to learn much of that  - I expect to have to, probably. But, eventually. Not to start. Is it that hard to load an E-Sword module into a different database? Couldn't just some things be stripped away and a little something added to the module file to ready it to load into a different DataBase? Its almost the same thing its going into, basically - just another type of database. Base uses HSQL.

I am just trying to do something more simple than I usually do. Usually I start off complicated. This time I'd like to go simple to start. From there I could learn how to do other things with the operation i designed. AND, I could USE the operation/app to study the bible - which is the MAIN thing I want to do, anyway. I could actually draw nearer to God through the studies. And, then, at the same time be learning more about how to expand/improve the app and what I need to know to do it.

ANyway, though, I should probably go to youtube like you suggested for ideas about his stuff. Are there any books or other learning resources you might point to, also? If I HAVE to learn programming to do this "simple" stuff, If I have to learn programming, I will  - if God coninues to lead me on this path. So far I am alone in this. I want my church's backing, and support. But, I thought a real simple thing to show them would be good and worth the time in hope of that support.

Thank you a LOT for your help. I will keep digging around for a simpler way until I give up and have to learn how to write code - etc. I will also study some more what you sent.

Thanks, God Bless You,  M. Jaillet

His love is better than life. Psalms

#6 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:58 AM

APsit190,

Hello.

I was hoping/wanting to do something more simple - just use Libre Office Base and the tools in it to get a real simple operation going just to assign indiividual attributes to individual verses - except you could have an unlimited number and type of attributes to assign.  I just figure my first task is to load in a usable bible database(or, data) to start. Then I can figure out how to design a window and functions to assign and store the attributes. I thought this would be much easier than learning how to program, frrom scratch. I might need to learn much of that  - I expect to have to, probably. But, eventually. Not to start. Is it that hard to load an E-Sword module into a different database? Couldn't just some things be stripped away and a little something added to the module file to ready it to load into a different DataBase? Its almost the same thing its going into, basically - just another type of database. Base uses HSQL.

I am just trying to do something more simple than I usually do. Usually I start off complicated. This time I'd like to go simple to start. From there I could learn how to do other things with the operation i designed. AND, I could USE the operation/app to study the bible - which is the MAIN thing I want to do, anyway. I could actually draw nearer to God through the studies. And, then, at the same time be learning more about how to expand/improve the app and what I need to know to do it.

ANyway, though, I should probably go to youtube like you suggested for ideas about his stuff. Are there any books or other learning resources you might point to, also? If I HAVE to learn programming to do this "simple" stuff, If I have to learn programming, I will  - if God coninues to lead me on this path. So far I am alone in this. I want my church's backing, and support. But, I thought a real simple thing to show them would be good and worth the time in hope of that support.

Thank you a LOT for your help. I will keep digging around for a simpler way until I give up and have to learn how to write code - etc. I will also study some more what you sent.

Thanks, God Bless You,  M. Jaillet

His love is better than life. Psalms

Just so you are aware, e-Sword databases are SQL so you would have to convert them to the database format you want to use

#7 kiwi

kiwi

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:17 AM

Friends here,

Hello.

What functionality, or capability, are you specifically looking for, that is not available in currently distributed and maintained bible software?

As a general rule, it is much easier to write a new function or capability on existing software, than create a brand new program just for that functionality.

LibreOffice is a barely adequate database engine:

• The built-in dBase 3 database engine is long in the tooth, unmaintained, and undocumented. It does have the virtue of being easy to use, if you cut your teeth on dBase 3, back in the day;
  • Contrary to what most of the LibO documentation claims, HSQLDB is not the built in database engine. Firebird is the built-in database engine. Either way, documentation, or rather, the lack of documentation, is a significant barrier in deploying it;

As a front end, LibO can be used, with varying degrees of difficulty, with almost every database engine out there.  That includes the completely undocumented Thunderbird MAB file format.

#8 kiwi

kiwi

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:28 AM

I was hoping/wanting to do something more simple - just use Libre Office Base and the tools in it to get a real simple operation going just to assign individual attributes to individual verses - except you could have an unlimited number and type of attributes to assign.  I just figure my first task is to load in a usable bible database(or, data) to start. Then I can figure out how to design a window and functions to assign and store the attributes. I thought this would be much easier than learning how to program, from scratch. I might need to learn much of that  - I expect to have to, probably. But, eventually. Not to start. Is it that hard to load an E-Sword module into a different database? Couldn't just some things be stripped away and a little something added to the module file to ready it to load into a different DataBase? Its almost the same thing its going into, basically - just another type of database. Base uses HSQL.

Pick up a book on programming in Python, and use SQLite as your database engine. 

Write a file viewer, which can also be a file editor.

Think very carefully about what specific functionality and specific capability you are looking for, before writing your own Bible Study Software.

Also think about what environment it will be used in.

#9 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:38 AM

Is it necessary to re-invent the Bible Study resource? There is already a copy in e-Sword for the Jay Green Literal Translation Version of the Holy Bible (LITV-TSP).bblx.exe - Bible Support with copyright permission of the owners, loaded from a previous year. If updates, or parallel copies are required, why not just use, or update, issued versions of the e-Sword modules, to cater for later editions?

There is also KJ3 - The Literal Translation (2006) - Bible Support

When you run e-Sword, the user can select which resources he wants to load, and which not to load into memory, simultaneously, so that you can advise your congregation exactly which resources for Bible Study you recommend they have available at their fingertips, when using the PARALLEL Bible options. 
PLEASE NOTE: From the latest version of e-Sword provided by Rick Meyer, there is a version of the Bible in English, identified as LITV = Literal Translation of the Holy Bible, Copyright © 1976-2000 by Jay P. Green, Sr. All Rights Reserved. Download this from inside e-Sword itself. Date 2016/06/17.
PLEASE NOTE: From the latest version of e-Sword provided by Rick Meyer, there is a version of the Bible in English, identified as MKJV = Modern King James Version, Copyright © 1962-1998 by Jay P. Green, Sr. All Rights Reserved. Download this from inside e-Sword itself. Date 2017/03/24.

Suggestion from Olaf Bacon.

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 08 December 2020 - 10:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users