Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Last point (I hope) for Topics module...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jan

jan

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationEUROPE

Posted 07 October 2020 - 03:49 AM

Hi and thank you for any help.  A few short months ago, I noticed that I could no longer add a new "topic" in the word editor.

I can't find the thread where I mentioned this subject a few days ago, so forgive me if I forgot who was trying to help me.

The trouble has been that nothing I tried would resolve the problem. I uninstalled e-sword and installed it again and still I would get the message that I can't add a topic.

So, today, I did a full sweep of my computer and deleted every trace of e-sword in the registry. Then I moved the previous e-sword folder to a different location, installed a fresh copy of e-sword, clicked on Topics and it worked. I was able to add new topics. Of course the hundreds of other topics I've created are not there.

I noticed also that no e-sword folder was created when I reinstalled e-sword. So now I'm wondering if anything (except our souls) will be saved.

I have maybe 200 topics in that original topx module which I can only view by installing the old files which, again, causes the frustrating window to pop up telling me I can't add anything. Lord, please heal this software. In Jesus name.

Looking for a techy type to give me some clues. Blessings

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationThe Land of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 07 October 2020 - 01:18 PM

I have maybe 200 topics in that original topx module which I can only view by installing the old files which, again, causes the frustrating window to pop up telling me I can't add anything.

The fact that you have hundreds of Topic Note files may be just the problem, in that you simply may have reached the limit of what e-Sword is able to handle — either the amount of data per Topic Note file, or the total number of Topic Note (topx) files.

Here is a bit of a solution (not really a technical one, but more of a common sense one). When creating a topic note file, create it to cover a particular topic, and give the file it's own unique name instead of using the default Topic.topx name. When you want to cover a totally different topic, create a new Topic Note file giving its own unique file name. Then once all that kind of stuff is done, ensure you back up your files so that in the event something happens you lose those files, you can restore them from your Backup.

Blessings,

Stephen (Php 1:21).

Edited by APsit190, 07 October 2020 - 01:39 PM.

#3 jan

jan

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationEUROPE

Posted 08 October 2020 - 02:11 AM

Thank you, Stephan. I appreciate that. Yes. All of my topics have a specific title, so that's not the difficulty, but maybe you're right about reaching a limit?

I thought of that, too, and deleted a couple of topics to see if that made a difference,  but it didn't.

This is a very mysterious thing, but I'm now using the completely clean version and can add topics there. Will figure this out eventually. THANK YOU!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users