Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Making a Bible Module

6 replies to this topic

#1 Bobs

Bobs

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationPapamoa, New Zealand

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:31 PM

I have all the major Bible modules purchased from either American Bible Sales, Estudysource or downloaded from this site and a few others I have picked up over the years. So, what else was there to get. Then I notice a Bible appearing in other programs (eg YouVersion on my phone and elsewhere) – the Modern English Version, which supposedly has a Pentecostal/Charismatic flavour which is sort on my ‘bent’.    

I got in touch with Estudysource to find out if they had any plans to make this available as a module for Esword. Their reply included the following – “We deeply appreciate your suggestion and it is on our list of considerations, but no release date has been set.”

So during our Covid lockdown here in New Zealand I set about making a Modern English Version module. Using SQLite Database, I started copying in line by line, verse by verse from the Bible Gateway site. I soon realised this was going to take forever. On searching the net, I found a site that had SQLite files for all sorts of Bibles (looked like every Bible ever produced). I downloaded the MEV module for MyBible (how they get all these modules I don’t know) and by using SQLite and Excel and much, much patience over lockdown I was able to produce my first module.

It was very rewarding developing this – as I worked through the books, chapters and verses I saw things about Scripture I had not ‘seen’ before. As I looked at various passages, believing I was reading the Word of God, God spoke. He spoke of the history of Israel, He spoke of the plans He as for the rescuing of people from the clutches of sin, He spoke of His Son Jesus Christ the Saviour of the world and He spoke of much more.

So, the building of a Bible module became much, much more than just a technical exercise, it became much more that long hours of correcting mistakes that SQLite had made in exporting to Excel, it became much more as I corrected the ‘mistakes’ the Excel made in ‘translating’, it became a dialogue with the Living God.

Lockdown is over and I have for my personal use the Modern English Version. (Because it is under copyright, I will not be uploading it).   

Bobs 

#2 Bobs

Bobs

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 05:18 PM

Seeing I was able to do it with one Bible module, I decided to try again. This time again thorough a bit of a tedious previous method I now have NASB 2020 for my personal use. 

Once again, building of a Bible module became much, much more than just a technical exercise, it became much more that long hours of correcting mistakes that SQLite had made in exporting to Excel, it became much more as I corrected the ‘mistakes’ the Excel made in ‘translating’, it became a dialogue with the Living God.

Bobs

#3 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta

Posted 30 November 2020 - 05:35 PM

You say you have the 2020 NASB do you per chance know what is different from the New American Standard Bible Study Set?. I purchased this a number of years ago and wonder if it would be worth while to look into getting the 2020 version?

Silverhair

Gal 2:20

I’m willing to compromise about many things, but not the Word of God 

There must be conviction before there can be conversion 

#4 Bobs

Bobs

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 05:47 PM

I too purchased the NASB Bible Study set a number of years ago. I saw somewhere (not sure where) that the 2020 version might not be ready for esword for sometime - and what sometime means I don't know.

Quote from a site on NASB 2020:

NASB 2020 Distinctions. For those who have used the NASB 1995 for the past 25 years, here are some details of the NASB 2020 that may stand out to you. First, even though this is a substantial revision of the NASB 1995, the NASB 2020 version retains 94% of the NASB 1995 text. Second, one of the stated goals of the Lockman Foundation is to “clearly communicate the Word of God in contemporary English, ” that is, to make the text more available to the modern reader. Archaic (antiquated) language has been updated.

For example in the book of Ephesians the word “aliens” has been changed to “foreigners,” “lose heart” changed to “become discouraged,” “implore” changed to “urge,” “tender-hearted” changed to “compassionate,” “girded your loins” changed to “belted your waist,” “coarse jesting” changed to “vulgar joking.” These are changes that amount to making the translation more accessible to a younger generation. As we looked over the changes in the book of Ephesians most seemed like straightforward modernized renditions of antiquated words.

The third component to this update is the use of “Gender Accurate” language. The stated goal here is not “inclusivity” per se, but rather accuracy and faithfulness to the intentions of the Biblical authors. An example is found in Matthew 4:19, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of people.” (bold added) “People” translates the Greek word anthropoi – which means “human beings.” “Men” works in this verse only if it is assumed by the audience that “Men” refers to both men and women.

Edited by Bobs, 30 November 2020 - 06:19 PM.

#5 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta

Posted 30 November 2020 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for the info. Think I will have to do some more chking B4 I drop some $'s on a new copy.

Silverhair

Gal 2:20

I’m willing to compromise about many things, but not the Word of God 

There must be conviction before there can be conversion 

#6 Bobs

Bobs

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 03:17 PM

I see the Lockman Foundation Store are offering -  e-Sword New American Standard Bible Study Set, NASB 2020 text

https://shop.lockman...-nasb-2020-text

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 14 December 2020 - 08:02 PM

OK, I downloaded and installed the latest take of the NASB without any hassles, and reckon that no one else should. Now, that is a really optimistic  statement on my part.

So here is what you get in that bundle:

NAS95.bblx

NAS95+.bblx

NASB.bblx

NASB+.bblx

nasec.lexx

That's it. Nothing more, and certainly nothing more.

So, for 20 bucks, I think its not a too bad a price.

Blessings,

Stephen (Phi 1:21)

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users