Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

CLEAN INSTALL

6 replies to this topic

#1 dats lyfe

dats lyfe

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:23 AM

Sorry to say I had severe trouble this morning with E-sword. It got to the point where I could not revert my settings (very simple ones, like window focus... very annoying in and of itself) and so decided to do a clean install. ANYWAY...this is where it gets good...I could NOT do one b/c it said some BS about the .msi file not being accessible... WTH?

I deleted all files myself, but still the entry in programs installed won't go away... and when i try to do a clean install.. i still get the same messed up configuration i had... about ready to give up on e-sword. This post is a last-ditch effort to work with it.

THANKS.

#2 dats lyfe

dats lyfe

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:50 AM

Obviously, it's ridiculous that such a drastic measure (re-installation) should be required to adjust settings that for some reason unfathomable could not be adjusted by normal means...

Edited by dats lyfe, 14 September 2020 - 08:50 AM.

#3 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:31 AM

If you want to reinstall everything then start to download the last official edition of e-Sword from the official website.
https://e-sword.net/downloads.html
This is for the moment version 12.2.0

What is your Windows version?
You need to go to "Windows Setting" or "system configuration".
And then to the uninstall or Apps menu.
OR download CCleaner Portable
https://www.ccleaner...ccleaner/builds
Open the Zip file in place the files in a new made folder called "Ccleaner"
(right click and "new" rename and place the files)
then double click on CCleaner.exe or CCleaner64.exe
and "yes" and click on Tools for a  menu of your programs (this is like the Windows version)
select e-Sword and click on Uninstall.

Then click on Registry and "Scan for Issues" and "Fix selected Issues"
Then restart your computer and try to install e-Sword version 12.2.0

By the Way: use for the next time the help menu in e-Sword and "Reset e-Sword settings".

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#4 dats lyfe

dats lyfe

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:25 AM

If you want to reinstall everything then start to download the last official edition of e-Sword from the official website.
https://e-sword.net/downloads.html
This is for the moment version 12.2.0

What is your Windows version?
You need to go to "Windows Setting" or "system configuration".
And then to the uninstall or Apps menu.
OR download CCleaner Portable
https://www.ccleaner...ccleaner/builds
Open the Zip file in place the files in a new made folder called "Ccleaner"
(right click and "new" rename and place the files)
then double click on CCleaner.exe or CCleaner64.exe
and "yes" and click on Tools for a  menu of your programs (this is like the Windows version)
select e-Sword and click on Uninstall.

Then click on Registry and "Scan for Issues" and "Fix selected Issues"
Then restart your computer and try to install e-Sword version 12.2.0

By the Way: use for the next time the help menu in e-Sword and "Reset e-Sword settings".

Thanks. I've tried all of that. I even use Ccleaner, oddly enough. WHY is it that any other program will uninstall normally but this one won't? And why is it that the windows within the app seem to have a mind of their own? THAT was the problem to begin with, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this now. God forbid I hide one of the windows and then try to get it back where it was...  there WAS no apparent user-friendly way to do this in the app, and i find it very hard to believe that this issue has not been complained about before and addressed.... you act as if you know nothing.

#5 dats lyfe

dats lyfe

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:34 AM

Yeah your response failed in re the fact that I already tried to uninstall the program and got the stupid .msi missing error... why is this a problem only with E-sword? I use Windows 7.

Edited by dats lyfe, 14 September 2020 - 11:35 AM.

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 14 September 2020 - 02:43 PM

Yeah your response failed in re the fact that I already tried to uninstall the program and got the stupid .msi missing error... why is this a problem only with E-sword? I use Windows 7.

Don't worry about the missing msi file. All that is the installer executable file extension.

If you can't uninstall e-Sword, just simply delete it. Then do the following:

1. Left click the Start button on the Task Bar
  2. Click Run on the Context Menu
  3. In the Run dialog type regedit.exe and hit the Enter key, or click the OK button. This opens the Registry Editor.
  4. Now, in the registry, click Find in the Edit Menu.
  5. In the Find dialog, type in e-Sword. Leave what is checked and unchecked in the Check boxes. Then click the Find Next button.
  6. Then delete the any entries found in the registry.
  7. Repeat the process by clicking on the Find Next button in the Edit menu, deleting all entries found.
  8. Once nothing has been found, and all entries have been deleted, Exit the Registry Editor, and Restart you computer.

After having restarted your computer, then do a new install of e-Sword, and any resources you wish to add.

Another thing you can do if you wish, is before installing e-Sword is to give your hardrive a bit of a cleanup, ensuring that all garbage related files are removed. Its just a bit of house work. No need to reboot your computer after having done that.

Trust that this works out for you.

Just a bit of a side note before signing off.

When it comes to registry cleaning software, irrespective of the brand, they do a pretty reasonable job, but they don't get everything out what you want. And that has been my experience, even after having used CCleaner (which I use). So, for a more thorough job go through the registry and delete anything that has been left behind.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 14 September 2020 - 02:46 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 dats lyfe

dats lyfe

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:37 AM

Thank you APsit190, for heartening my soul unto that fresh enterprise. Your solution of a manual registry scouring absolutely did the trick! I am very glad to be able to continue using E-sword, despite its minor shortcomings (the issue I have w/ the sliding windows).

God bless.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users