Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Footnotes

11 replies to this topic

#1 oppie

oppie

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:11 AM

Since version 12.2.0 it is possible, according to the update changes: "User-made Bible modules can now include footnotes in the text and database."
But how do I include footnotes in a bible module?

I asked Rick Meyers but I have no answer yet.
If someone knows...? Thanks!

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:49 PM

Since version 12.2.0 it is possible, according to the update changes: "User-made Bible modules can now include footnotes in the text and database."
But how do I include footnotes in a bible module?

I asked Rick Meyers but I have no answer yet.
If someone knows...? Thanks!

Yup, good question.

Answer: Your guess is as good as mine.

I guess that when it comes to the last verse of a chapter, that at the finish of the last verse one can insert bookmarks.

Blessings,

Autograph.png
Stephen (Php 1:21)

Edited by APsit190, 14 September 2020 - 01:50 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 oppie

oppie

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:23 AM

Not exactly what I meant. I thought it was something like the pop-up notes in e.g. the ESV+ translation. That proves it can be done in e-Sword, but how....?
I tried to look in the database, but it is protected.

#4 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:51 AM

In Bible modules is the HTM tag for notes <not></not> and you need a number or symbol added between.

The number or symbol is connected with another table that is based on the verse numbering.

I'm not sure how it works for dictionaries and commentaries with an apparatus.

I can use SQLiteDatabaseBrowser for it but that is not user friendly.

Edited by Katoog, 15 September 2020 - 06:18 AM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#5 oppie

oppie

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:53 AM

Yes, I found that allready. But I can't get it working.
Also, this was possible with earlier versions of e-Sword. So what is new with 12.2?

#6 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:58 AM

Also, this was possible with earlier versions of e-Sword. So what is new with 12.2?

It was possible with Apple/Mac versions of e-Sword, it only became possible with the Windows version starting with version 11

#7 oppie

oppie

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:38 AM

I have it working! The note must start with 'N' followed by a number., e.g. 'N6'.

So, the HTML tag becomes <not>N6</not>.

The note itself is in a different table. The structure is the same as in e.g. ESV+. Although that module is protected, you can see the table structure.

For editor I use 'DB Browser for SQLite'.

Now waiting for ToolTip Tool NT to implement this.... ;)

B.t.w., MySword doesn't recognize it (yet?).

Edited by oppie, 17 September 2020 - 08:57 AM.

#8 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:17 AM

I have it working! The note must start with 'N' followed by a number., e.g. 'N6'.

So, the HTML tag becomes <not>N6</not>.

The note itself is in a different table. The structure is the same as in e.g. ESV+. Although that module is protected, you can see the table structure.

For editor I use 'DB Browser for SQLite'.

Now waiting for ToolTip Tool NT to implement this.... ;)

B.t.w., MySword doesn't recognize it (yet?).

The Amplified Bible has a module that uses footnotes using the numbers N1 and N2 for footnotes the numbers are in blue text. 

As for Tooltip adding this feature, it will very likely not happen as the developer of that software passed away 

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:20 PM

As for Tooltip adding this feature, it will very likely not happen as the developer of that software passed away 

The person who can actually help with how to do popup tooltip notes for Bibles would be Rick Meyers. So, one could do the obvious bit, which is to, ummm, ask him.

Now, I know that I'm an amazing programmer (just kidding) this is one of the (many) things that I don't know how to do. And out of sheer technological curiosity I would love to know how this is done.

Here is theory of how its done:

1. Type out the Bible verse

2. Insert (rtf or html code for subscript or superscript reference text), and then the reference text, e.g A1 or whatever it is.

3. Type out the Note, and either using rtf or html, code it as hidden text.

This is where an excellent knowledge of rtf and html language seriously comes handy.

That said, the theory could be totally wrong, and if someone tried could end up with egg on his face. But if its right, hey, it could be real winner.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 17 September 2020 - 03:21 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#10 oppie

oppie

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:22 AM

I received an answer from Rick Meyers:

The note tags throughout the Bible are wrapped with the <not></not> tag.  The text within those tags is N# or R# where the number is unique for that verse.  (N = Note, R = Cross Reference, but everything could just be a Note as there is currently no difference.)  You can choose how you number the notes.  They can start at 1 and go up to however many notes are in the Bible, or you can restart at 1 for each Book, or each chapter, or each verse.

The formatting of the note text itself follows the exact same tagging rules as for the Bible text itself.  The content of the notes is stored in a separate table.

Following are some examples from the NASB and NET Bibles for John 3:16. Please note that the tilde ~ is simply showing cell separation in the table row.

NASB

43~3~16~N1~<p>Or <i>unique,</i> only one of His kind</p>

43~3~16~R1~<p><ref>Rom 5:8</ref>; <ref>Eph 2:4</ref>; <ref>2Th 2:16</ref>; <ref>1Jn 4:10</ref>; <ref>Rev 1:5</ref></p>

43~3~16~R2~<p><ref>Rom 8:32</ref>; <ref>1Jn 4:9</ref></p>

43~3~16~R3~<p><ref>Joh 1:18</ref>; <ref>Joh 3:18</ref>; <ref>1Jn 4:9</ref></p>

43~3~16~R4~<p><ref>Joh 3:36</ref>; <ref>Joh 6:40</ref>; <ref>Joh 11:25</ref> f.</p>

NET

43~3~16~N36~<p><b>tn</b> Or “this is how much”; or “in this way.” The Greek adverb <grk>οὕτως</grk> (<lat>houtōs</lat>) can refer (1) to the <i>degree</i> to which God loved the world, that is, to such an <i>extent</i> or <i>so much</i> that he gave his own Son (see R. E. Brown, <i>John</i> [AB], 1:133-34; D. A. Carson, <i>John</i>, 204) or (2) simply to the <i>manner</i> in which God loved the world, i.e., by sending his own son (see R. H. Gundry and R. W. Howell, “The Sense and Syntax of <ref>Joh 3:14-17</ref> with Special Reference to the Use of <grk>Οὕτως</grk>…<grk>ὥστε</grk> in <ref>Joh 3:16</ref>, ” <i>NovT</i> 41 [1999]: 24-39)<b>.</b> Though the term more frequently refers to the manner in which something is done (see BDAG 741-42 s.v. <grk>οὕτω</grk>/<grk>οὕτως</grk>), the following clause involving <grk>ὥστε</grk> (<lat>hōste</lat>) plus the indicative (which stresses actual, but [usually] unexpected result) emphasizes the greatness of the gift God has given. With this in mind, then, it is likely (3) that John is emphasizing both the <i>degree</i> to which God loved the world as well as the <i>manner</i> in which He chose to express that love. This is in keeping with John’s style of using double entendre or double meaning. Thus, the focus of the Greek construction here is on the <i>nature</i> of God’s love, addressing its mode, intensity, and extent.</p>

43~3~16~N37~<p><b>tn</b> Although this word is often translated “only begotten,” such a translation is misleading, since in English it appears to express a metaphysical relationship. The word in Greek was used of an only child (a son [<ref>Luk 7:12</ref>, <ref>Luk 9:38</ref>] or a daughter [<ref>Luk 8:42</ref>]). It was also used of something unique (only one of its kind) such as the mythological Phoenix (1 Clement 25:2). From here it passes easily to a description of Isaac (<ref>Heb 11:17</ref> and Josephus, <i>Ant</i>. 1.13.1 [1.222]) who was not Abraham’s <i>only</i> son, but was one-of-a-kind because he was the child of the promise. Thus the word means “one-of-a-kind” and is reserved for Jesus in the Johannine literature of the NT. While all Christians are children of God (<grk>τέκνα θεοῦ</grk>, <lat>tekna theou</lat>), Jesus is God’s Son in a unique, one-of-a-kind sense. The word is used in this way in all its uses in the Gospel of John (<ref>Joh 1:14</ref>; <ref>Joh 1:18</ref>; <ref>Joh 3:16</ref>, and <ref>Joh 3:18</ref>).</p>

43~3~16~N38~<p><b>tn</b> In John the word <grk>ἀπόλλυμι</grk> (<lat>apollumi</lat>) can mean either (1) to be lost (2) to perish or be destroyed, depending on the context.</p>

43~3~16~N39~<p><b>sn</b> The alternatives presented are only two (again, it is typical of Johannine thought for this to be presented in terms of polar opposites): <i>perish</i> or <i>have eternal life</i>.</p>

As you can see, what you include for a note or cross reference is no different than for a commentary or other resource.  Also note, the NASB restarts the numbering for each verse, whereas the NET restarts the numbering for each chapter.  The choice is yours.

In His service,

Rick Meyers

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users