Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

NIV 1978

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:52 PM

While both the 1984 and 2011 editions of the NIV are available as e-Sword modules the 1978 version which was the first complete NIV bible published (The NIV NT was published on it's own in 1973) is not available. 

However I recently discovered a module repository for the MyBible App which includes a MyBible module of the 1978 NIV. Here is the really interesting thing about this, both MyBible and e-Sword use SqLite databases for module creation which means converting the MyBible 1978 NIV module for e-Sword will be easy to do. 

It is probably not possible to upload a 1978 NIV module to Biblesupport for downloading but I wonder if there are some who would want to study the 1978 NIV

If you want to see the Mybible module repository here is the link:

https://www.ph4.org/...?l=en&q=mybible

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:38 PM

While both the 1984 and 2011 editions of the NIV are available as e-Sword modules the 1978 version which was the first complete NIV bible published (The NIV NT was published on it's own in 1973) is not available. 

However I recently discovered a module repository for the MyBible App which includes a MyBible module of the 1978 NIV. Here is the really interesting thing about this, both MyBible and e-Sword use SqLite databases for module creation which means converting the MyBible 1978 NIV module for e-Sword will be easy to do. 

It is probably not possible to upload a 1978 NIV module to Biblesupport for downloading but I wonder if there are some who would want to study the 1978 NIV

If you want to see the Mybible module repository here is the link:

https://www.ph4.org/...?l=en&q=mybible

Not really, and the reason being is the copyright issue. If memory serves me correctly, the 1978 edition is still copyright. When that will die, I have no idea.

Mind you, I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Moreover, as a result of having had a look on that website, the overwhelming majority of the resources there is highly questionable as to whether or not they breach copyright laws. Take a gand at some of the publishing dates on those resources, and you'll get the picture.

My advice is, if you want to do it for yourself, fine. Just remember that the overwhelming majority of the resources have fallen off the back of the proverbial truck kind of thing.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 30 July 2020 - 02:58 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 RevSteve

RevSteve

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:18 PM

I'd like to take this opportunity to hijack this thread somewhat.. I have created a bible (English) version that has inline footnotes as well as strongs numbers (NT only). I can do the conversion to MySword (somewhat) but I would like to get it converted to MyBible format. Questions Is the MyBible bible modules html or ? If html, do I input it into tooltip and output as html? Better yet, If someone would do this for me. Hey, or a writeup on how to do this would be nice. Or... I think/believe I can do a swap out of the verse column in sql on a working MyBible module...

#4 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:21 PM

I'd like to take this opportunity to hijack this thread somewhat.. I have created a bible (English) version that has inline footnotes as well as strongs numbers (NT only). I can do the conversion to MySword (somewhat) but I would like to get it converted to MyBible format. Questions Is the MyBible bible modules html or ? If html, do I input it into tooltip and output as html? Better yet, If someone would do this for me. Hey, or a writeup on how to do this would be nice. Or... I think/believe I can do a swap out of the verse column in sql on a working MyBible module...

MyBible modules use sql just like e-Sword does the biggest difference is that where e-Sword uses 3 letter abbreviations for bible books such as GEN for Genesis, MyBible databases use numbers for each bible book. The book numbering in MyBible starts with 10 for Genesis and the progresses by 10 for each additional book, so that Exodus is 20 and so on. 

Regarding swapping verses between two sql databases I am not sure it can be done as it requires more then swapping just a single column. Sql databases are divided into multiple tables. So you would have to replace the entire verses table to do the swap you want. You will need an sql database editor tool to edit the databases

#5 RevSteve

RevSteve

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:57 AM

I did as I related in previous post, I switched out the "text" column but I left out the inline notes as I didn't know the tags for that. The Strongs is working fine. Although I assume there is a less convoluted way of doing it that what I have done.

#6 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:23 AM

All you need to know about building resources is here. https://mybible.zone/wanted-eng.php

#7 RevSteve

RevSteve

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:54 AM

Thanks, found the information.

#8 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 20 December 2020 - 04:14 AM

NIV84 1984 New International Version, Bibles in English, is listed in Downloads in E-Sword version 12.2.0 under the Downloads Bibles, English, Premium options. If you previously purchased this module for any e-Sword app, then just enter your Email Address and Product Key you received to install it again. This will be verified from https://estudysource...ount/login.aspx [remote site]
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. All rights reserved. Used with permission. Date 2017/01/02
The latest version of e-Sword can be downloaded, as provided by Rick Meyers, at the 256-bit enabled secure site, https://https://e-sword.net [remote site]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users