Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

e-Sword download - raw resource...?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_S

Mike_S

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationcRaZyToWn

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:33 PM

I'm on a slow dialup connection and it takes time finishing the larger resource files, thankfully e-Sword let's you resume a broken download. Note: You must start the download again, it will pick up where it left off, just not automatically.

My Q - e-Sword downloads a raw resource, yes? I've been raring the files when done, I'm hopeful I can extract the resource (*.bblx, *.cmtx, *.dctx, *.topx) again later should I reinstall e-Sword, is this possible? My e-Sword folder is already nearing 200+MB ;)
2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

#2 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:18 AM

The raw resources are for those who want to create a eSword model

In there current state they are not usable in eSword

(what are you referring to as a raw resource) added

Edited by DSaw, 16 October 2011 - 06:20 AM.

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#3 Mike_S

Mike_S

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationcRaZyToWn

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:26 AM

Hi DSaw, thanks for taking the time :) and yes, I'm new to e-Sword, just tryin' to find the easiest way to break somethin' ;)

(what are you referring to as a raw resource) added

What I've gathered, these are file types native to e-Sword ie; readable, maybe other Bible software as well. The types downloaded mostly are .bblx, .topx, .cmtx, .dctx, also referred to as raw resources. I would use native file types (extensions) personally. The e-Sword downloader downloads the raw file, .cmtx, and drops it in the e-Sword root directory, no extraction needed.

I only archive large files. The Gill commentary is ~31.6MB, 3+ hours downloading for me. If the file hasn't been updated I keep it close. When reinstalling, I extract the resource from the archive - done.

Now, if scripting was being performed with .bblx or .cmtx files, writing to the registry, adding folders or system files, then my method would fail, the routines would need to run. It appears the sfx files are designed for convenience for those unfamiliar with the process, for those more familiar, we like to monkey around, makes us feel smart, so we extract the contents to have a look.

Btw, there are other file types hidden off in a dark and lonely place - .jnlx, .notx, .lstx, .ovlx .prlx - journal notes, study notes, bookmarks, markup, and prayer requests. These extensions are usually small in size, essentially text files.

I know, most of you have fast connections, you read this and say "why does this guy insist on meddling, just click and download?". Well, you would have to sit and stare for hours waiting for a file to finish, like I do - I need something to do while I'm waiting :)

Seriously, I have to find ways to make the process as quick and painless as possible otherwise the time it takes really discourages me from bothering.
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

I'm on a slow dialup connection and it takes time finishing the larger resource files, thankfully e-Sword let's you resume a broken download. Note: You must start the download again, it will pick up where it left off, just not automatically.

My Q - e-Sword downloads a raw resource, yes? I've been raring the files when done, I'm hopeful I can extract the resource (*.bblx, *.cmtx, *.dctx, *.topx) again later should I reinstall e-Sword, is this possible? My e-Sword folder is already nearing 200+MB ;)

It sounds like your saying you've been downloading a lot of e-Sword resources. And that you are compressing them with rar (which is like zip for those of you who aren't familiar with "rar"). If you compress a file with rar (to save disk space), then yes you can extract the file again. You have to do so manually. You can't run e-Sword and have e-Sword read a rar archive. Is that what you're asking?

Josh

#5 Mike_S

Mike_S

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationcRaZyToWn

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

If you compress a file with rar (to save disk space), then yes you can extract the file again.

Not so much to save disk space, with the paid version of Winrar you can add a recovery record to the archive should you need to repair the file.

You can't run e-Sword and have e-Sword read a rar archive. Is that what you're asking?

No, I understand e-Sword does not extract rar files, or .zip or .7z either I suppose. I mentioned I extract my saved resources in the event I reinstall e-Sword:

When reinstalling, I extract the resource from the archive - done.

The point for me is not to redownload large files if I can avoid it. Btw, I think what DSaw is referring to are the Raw Module Material bundles, the incomplete resource materials in need of completion.

#6 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

Oh I totally misunderstood your question I was referring to the raw module material

Yes you can RAR them and extract to the correct folder and they will work if you every have to re-install I have already copied bblx dctx etc to a Cd so i can just copy and past them

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#7 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:09 AM

Seriously, I have to find ways to make the process as quick and painless as possible otherwise the time it takes really discourages me from bothering.

For resources from eSword.net, a donation to Rick will get you a CD with most of gratis resources on the site, and a few that are not otherwise available.

As far as eStudySource goes, Phil told me a long time ago that he didn't see a valid user-case for offering the resources on CD, but if one was presented, he'd consider offering resources on CD.

jonathon

#8 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:53 AM

I'm just putting these ideas out there

1. copy all, or all of one type module to CD, DVD that are on this site and offer them could be for free or donation ???

2 .there are program that split files into sections RAR for one, the download time would be the same but they wouldn't have to try and download a huge file all at once ( If I understand correctly this would have to be done by up-loader)

3. goes with 1. do a monthly update CD

a. have a section in downloads that contain a zipped or split file(s) of the the entire library of modules from this site
b. and then do a monthly zipped or split file(s) of the previous months uploads

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

I'm just putting these ideas out there

1. copy all, or all of one type module to CD, DVD that are on this site and offer them could be for free or donation ???

2 .there are program that split files into sections RAR for one, the download time would be the same but they wouldn't have to try and download a huge file all at once ( If I understand correctly this would have to be done by up-loader)

3. goes with 1. do a monthly update CD

a. have a section in downloads that contain a zipped or split file(s) of the the entire library of modules from this site
b. and then do a monthly zipped or split file(s) of the previous months uploads

I have considered the DVDs of everything we have for a donation. Of course, you can download everything now--the DVD would be for convenience. There's a technical obstacle relating to how IPBoard stores files that has kept me from doing it thus far. I am looking into resolving it.

Josh

#10 Mike_S

Mike_S

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationcRaZyToWn

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I got it straightened out. I like the e-Sword Download Manager. I wish it would auto-resume, but the fact it can resume an interrupted download is great.

I wish e-Sword was portable, it's not - oh well :), the fact the resources are is terrific!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users