Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Doing a Search in the Browser Window

9 replies to this topic

#1 Vlad1

Vlad1

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 03:14 AM

When I press Ctrl + F in the window of any Bible version, and then search for a word, no results are shown. It seems that the search does not work, even though the search window still opens when Ctrl + F is pressed. Does something need to be changed in the settings in order that the search may work?

#2 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 05:27 AM

Ctrl+F is for a search in the Editors window.

Ctrl+S is for the basic Bible search, or for an extended search you go to the Main menu, Bible -> Extended search

#3 Vlad1

Vlad1

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 10:27 AM

Is there a way to search for a word on the Bible tab which is currently active in the program (instead of in an entire Bible version)?

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 25 April 2020 - 05:20 PM

Is there a way to search for a word on the Bible tab which is currently active in the program (instead of in an entire Bible version)?

Yes, all you need to do is click on the Search icon in either the main toolbar or the Bible Window toolbar.

Note: There is a User Guide which shows you how to do a search in e-Sword. Simply press the F1 key on your keyboard or click on Contents in the help menu.

I don't know how familiar you are with e-Sword, but to ask a question on how to do a search, I recommend that you seriously need to read the User Guide to familiarize yourself with the program.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 25 April 2020 - 05:21 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 Vlad1

Vlad1

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:29 AM

Yes, all you need to do is click on the Search icon in either the main toolbar or the Bible Window toolbar.

Note: There is a User Guide which shows you how to do a search in e-Sword. Simply press the F1 key on your keyboard or click on Contents in the help menu.

I don't know how familiar you are with e-Sword, but to ask a question on how to do a search, I recommend that you seriously need to read the User Guide to familiarize yourself with the program.

Blessings,

Thank you. I am aware of the search command in Bible > Search. This command does a search in an entire Bible version or multiple Bible books. I simply wanted to know how to quickly search for a word or some characters in a chapter which is currently displayed on the screen on a Bible tab, rather than in an entire Bible. In other text programs, when I press Ctrl + F, I can instantly search for a word in a text displayed on the screen.

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:49 PM

Thank you. I am aware of the search command in Bible > Search. This command does a search in an entire Bible version or multiple Bible books. I simply wanted to know how to quickly search for a word or some characters in a chapter which is currently displayed on the screen on a Bible tab, rather than in an entire Bible. In other text programs, when I press Ctrl + F, I can instantly search for a word in a text displayed on the screen.

The Ctrl+F function is only used for the Note Editors to find and replace a word or line of text. And so it doesn't work in the Bible, Dictionary, or Commentary windows.

However, on the Bible window toolbar you have a Find on Page button just next to and on the right of the Search Bible button (which is also on the Dictionary and Commentary toolbars).

Hope this works for you.

Blessings,

post-94-0-52125500-1325722973.png

Edited by APsit190, 26 April 2020 - 04:00 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 Vlad1

Vlad1

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 02:40 AM

The Ctrl+F function is only used for the Note Editors to find and replace a word or line of text. And so it doesn't work in the Bible, Dictionary, or Commentary windows.

However, on the Bible window toolbar you have a Find on Page button just next to and on the right of the Search Bible button (which is also on the Dictionary and Commentary toolbars).

This is the search function which I needed. I had not noticed it previously.

#8 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 06:34 PM

This is the search function which I needed. I had not noticed it previously.

Most of the problems (at a guess, over 90% of them) are straight forward issues that can be resolved by looking it up in the e-Sword User Guide. This document being called a User Guide is an understatement because its more of a manual than a guide.

That said, this Guide is extremely comprehensive and very well illustrated with screenshots showing how to do things in e-Sword. Every part of the program is covered, and gives precise instructions of how to to things, and how to fix an issue that one may come up with.

If you haven't done It. my sincere recommendation is to print it out, place it in a Binder of on sort or another, and keep it handy on your Computer desk so that you can pick it up and refer to it for any help you need of how to something, or resolve a problem in e-Sword.

In my use of this program I never had a problem with it that could not be resolved. Whatever issues I've had were nearly fixed by using the User Guide. And if not, fixed because I know this program like the back of my hand.

As said before:

I don't know how familiar you are with e-Sword ... I recommend that you seriously need to read the User Guide to familiarize yourself with the program.

I seriously stand by it because this guide (I mean, Manual) is a real life saver. It seriously is your Bible to using e-Sword, and it should always be your first port of call for any help with the program.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 27 April 2020 - 06:34 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#9 Vlad1

Vlad1

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 03:30 AM

Yes, manuals of various programs are very useful. When I had installed more complex software, I had to read its manual. But I have not done this with e-Sword, because the program is very simple and its functions are self-explanatory. I have been using the program for a long time and have always been able to understand its simple functions.

Edited by Vlad1, 28 April 2020 - 03:30 AM.

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 04:40 PM

Yes, manuals of various programs are very useful. When I had installed more complex software, I had to read its manual. But I have not done this with e-Sword, because the program is very simple and its functions are self-explanatory. I have been using the program for a long time and have always been able to understand its simple functions.

Like you, I also know just how simple e-Sword is to use. In fact the term I've coined for e-Sword is "simplicity of use, and ease of access," which really didn't need a help file for it. Well, that was then, and for the most part is still now ... until you forget something ... as was the case with me.

The best example was when I responded to a post regarding of how to create Bookmarks in e-Sword. The one thing that I actually am totally conversant with. except when that was when everything about it just went right out of the window and gave a totally incorrect answer. And when the incorrect answer was pointed out to me, I felt like a total dofus. So I went to the User guide and looked it up, and there it was in all its glory of how to create and edit bookmarks in e-Sword. The person wanted to know how to edit bookmarks.

So, with that, the lesson I learnt was that irrespective of how well a person may know a program, that User Guide is still the very first port of call that one should go to even when responding to a query or to give an answer to fix a problem. By the way, that was exactly when I did with you.

You just never know when you may actually need to refer to it.

The best thing that Josh Bond and his cohorts in crime :lol: ever created and put up, and which Rick Meyers made to be the official help documentation for e-Sword. Just can't beat that.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 28 April 2020 - 04:43 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users