Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Question regarding formatting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

Because I have no idea how to create one from scratch, I copied a CMTX file and deleted all the comments out of it and am starting to create my own commentary. So far, all I've got started is Philemon.

My problem is trying to figure out, using SQLite, how do I make line breaks and bold/italics? I tried <b> but it shows up in the commentary as <b> (surprise, surprise).

How do i do this?

Thanks in advance!

Cobb78

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

You can make a commentary this way. But it's going to be a lot of work. You will need to learn the syntax for the RTF markup. All e-Sword text is displayed in a markup called RTF. It's similar to HTML. You can google RTF syntax for more information.

Or, you can use Tooltip. Tooltip provides a word processor environment, allowing you to see text in a What-you-see-is-what-you-get environment. With Toolip, you can specify which text is verse comments, chapter comments, or book comments for a commentary. Tooltip also makes Bible modules, Topic modules, Dictionary modules, etc.

Tooltip includes basic documentation to get you started. After installing Tooltip, check your My Documents/e-sword tooltip folder. You can also post here in the forums for help or message me. You'll always get a fast response on your Tooltip questions here.

#3 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:34 AM

Thank you, I will do that and get back to you if I have any questions.

#4 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:38 AM

Ok, I have the program, but (sorry to sound like such a noob) how exactly am I supposed to format the thing, type it out, make it apply to specific verses/chapters/books? Is there a "how to create a module for Dummies" page?

Cobb78

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

Hi,

Here's a Tooltip commentary template. Load this into Tooltip. This is a working template--you can compile it right now into a commentary file.

I have brief instructions in the file. You will see book comments, chapter comments, and verse comments. You will also find the instructions for compiling the file into a module. Finally, you will see instruction on how to "tooltip" verses, or make them compatible with e-Sword.

Attached File  commentary_template.rtf   1.14K   13 downloads

You can format text as you normally would with a word processor, including bold, italics, font choice, font size, blank lines, indents, etc. This should get you started and from here you can explore the ToolTip menus to learn about all the options Tooltip has. Feel free to post back here with any questions you have.

Josh

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

My problem is trying to figure out, using SQLite, how do I make line breaks and bold/italics? I tried <b> but it shows up in the commentary as <b> (surprise, surprise).

How do i do this?

Using SQLite is a slow and arduous way of doing things, but if you're like me, a glutton for punishment and you like doing custom formatting, then you get great satisfaction from it.

Here is a few rtf code I know, and I hope this will help you.

\par - A new paragraph
\pard - Returns the text back to the margin after an tab indent or an indent.
\line - A new line (sometime used).
\b Bold text
\ul - Underline text
\cf11 - Font color and the color code
\qc - Center the text
\fs24 - Font size with code. This example indicates the size of the font to be set at 12 points.
\li320 - Line Indent and the amount of indentation
\tab - Put in a Tab.
\sub - Subscript
\super - Superscript

Where you wish a particular word to be in Bold, underlined or a change in font color or size, place the word(s) in open and closed braces, e.g., {\b Samuel} and etc.

When you wish to have sentence, title centered, indented and etc., and return the next paragraph to normal, e.g.
\par\qc{\ul\b\fs30 Samuel} \par\pard Wasn't a bad sort of a bloke.

Basically that is all what you need do do.

I trust this had been helpful to you.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

#7 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

Ok, now I have a new problem. I used SQlite earlier and got the book notes for Philemon, but the formatting was screwy. I now used the Tooltip program, created it nicely (so I thought), deleted the old one, copied the new one over, but the old one still shows up. I completely removed every CMTX file from the E-Sword folder, and opened it again, and the old "Cobb Commentary" which i made was still there (even though it wasn't in the E-Sword folder). The thing just won't go away! So, I uninstalled E-Sword, then re-installed it fresh. Even though there are no commentaries or Bibles other than the standard ones in the main folder, my first attempt (which I want to rid myself of) is still showing up in E-Sword.

I am thoroughly confuzzled. It's the commentary that would not go away!

Also, there are about 7 Bibles that (though they are not in the E-Sword folder) are still showing up when I open E-Sword.

Any ideas?

Cobb78

#8 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

Well, I finally figured out my problem. I'm not exactly why it was doing this, but when I opened up the SQlite program, I could still see the commentary and extra Bibles as options to open. But they were still nowhere to be seen in the regular e-sword folder when i opened it normally. I deleted them via SQlite, and they are now gone. but i also lost some of my other Bibles in there in the process. Ugh...

But at least now my new version (thanks tooltip) shows up and looks pretty decent!

Thanks!

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

Now that you know Tooltip, if you find a module you need to edit, you can use my program to convert the module to an RTF file (the opposite of Tooltip). Then you can edit the RTF file in Tooltip and regenerate the e-Sword module.

Also, as you make e-Sword modules, feel free to upload any you would like to share. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users