Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Removing Book Name Abbreviations in Tooltip?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nickolade122

nickolade122

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:28 PM

Hi I am using Tooltip and want to know if its possible to make chapter/books without abbreviations (example: "Gen 3:15" to simply show as "3:15").  I dont want the book name abbreviations to show up.

OR if its possible, to change the book name abbreviations?

I am trying to make a test module for something completely different (not scripture), and would like to either rename the books, but if thats not possible than I will be happy with just removing the book name altogether from showing and just have the chapter and verse only.

Is it possible to make a module with 114 "books" instead of the 66 (or more with Apocrypha)?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:08 PM

Hi I am using Tooltip and want to know if its possible to make chapter/books without abbreviations (example: "Gen 3:15" to simply show as "3:15").  I dont want the book name abbreviations to show up.

OR if its possible, to change the book name abbreviations?

I am trying to make a test module for something completely different (not scripture), and would like to either rename the books, but if thats not possible than I will be happy with just removing the book name altogether from showing and just have the chapter and verse only.

Is it possible to make a module with 114 "books" instead of the 66 (or more with Apocrypha)?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately it is not possible to change or remove the books names as they are hard coded.

e-Sword is set up to display the standard 66 books of the Christian bible, 12 Apocrypha books plus expanded versions of Esther and Daniel in bible modules and commentary modules 

The 12 books of the Apocrypha that can be display by e-Sword are:

1 Esdras
2 Esdras 
Tobit
Judith
1-4 Maccabees 

The Prayer of Manasseh
Wisdom
Sirach
Baruch

If you are creating something other then a bible module you might want to consider creating a topic module which can be used with e-Sword's built in resource library. Topic files have more flexibility in what can be displayed then bible modules. 

Edited by Tj Higgins, 25 March 2020 - 08:17 PM.

#3 nickolade122

nickolade122

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:39 PM

Unfortunately it is not possible to change or remove the books names as they are hard coded.

e-Sword is set up to display the standard 66 books of the Christian bible, 12 Apocrypha books plus expanded versions of Esther and Daniel in bible modules and commentary modules 

The 12 books of the Apocrypha that can be display by e-Sword are:

1 Esdras
2 Esdras 
Tobit
Judith
1-4 Maccabees 

The Prayer of Manasseh
Wisdom
Sirach
Baruch

If you are creating something other then a bible module you might want to consider creating a topic module which can be used with e-Sword's built in resource library. Topic files have more flexibility in what can be displayed then bible modules. 

Hi TJ,

Can you point me to a resource or somewhere where I can learn more about this?

Thanks,

Nick

#4 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:30 AM

Hi TJ,

Can you point me to a resource or somewhere where I can learn more about this?

Thanks,

Nick

The first thing you should do is access the Tooltip user manual to gain a better understanding of what Tooltip can really do.

To access the manual click Help on the Tooltip menu to display the Help drop down menu, the last item on the menu is the user manual in pdf format. Click this to open the manual in Adobe Acrobat.

The Tooltip user manual explains how to create all of the various module types for use in e-Sword as listed below:

Bibles
Commentaries
Dictionaries
Maps/Graphics
Devotions 
Bible Harmonies 
Bible Reading Plans
Topic Files

Topic Files are the most commonly created files for e-Sword use and as I have already stated there is a lot more flexibility when creating a topic file. Many topic files currently available for e-Sword use are in fact books published by bible scholars over the years that have been adapted for e-Sword use. 

Your proposed project sounds like it would be best served as a topic module instead of bible module. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users