Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Already Own NASB package; NASB 2020 Additional Purchase?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WesleyanPreacher

WesleyanPreacher

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:53 PM

I have the NASB package for e-Sword. When the NASB 2020 (finally) drops, does anyone know if my NASB package include the new translation or will it be an additional purchase?

#2 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:01 PM

When the new file drops you will be able to download it using the download code that you have. 

Gal 2:20

I’m willing to compromise about many things, but not the Word of God 

There must be conviction before there can be conversion 

#3 tsmalley

tsmalley

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 02:45 AM

I tried updating my nasb study set add-on, but the program would not accept my previous product key.  Do I have to purchase this again just to get the 2020 version?

#4 Bobs

Bobs

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationPapamoa, New Zealand

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:36 AM

I tried the same thing also but I presumed from the result I would have to purchase again. As I have mentioned on a previous post, I have made my own NASB 2020 module for my own use, but I would have liked to download new module as I am sure I probably have some errors in my module but I am working through 2020 checking for mistakes - takes time but I am enjoying working through it.

Blessings

Bobs

#5 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:59 PM

I tried the same thing also but I presumed from the result I would have to purchase again. As I have mentioned on a previous post, I have made my own NASB 2020 module for my own use, but I would have liked to download new module as I am sure I probably have some errors in my module but I am working through 2020 checking for mistakes - takes time but I am enjoying working through it.

Blessings

Bobs

I received an Email from Rick Meyers and he said the NASB 2020 was a new purchase. Like you I tried my download code and no go.

Question for you bob?

Have you found many changes in the 2020 version other that the update of the language used?

Edited by Silverhair, 08 March 2021 - 10:05 AM.

#6 Bobs

Bobs

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationPapamoa, New Zealand

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:15 AM

Most noticeable is language updates but I have copied a review of substantial changes:

NASB 2020 Distinctions. For those who have used the NASB 1995 for the past 25 years, here are some details of the NASB 2020 that may stand out to you. First, even though this is a substantial revision of the NASB 1995, the NASB 2020 version retains 94% of the NASB 1995 text. Second, one of the stated goals of the Lockman Foundation is to “clearly communicate the Word of God in contemporary English, ” that is, to make the text more available to the modern reader. Archaic (antiquated) language has been updated.

For example in the book of Ephesians the word “aliens” has been changed to “foreigners,” “lose heart” changed to “become discouraged,” “implore” changed to “urge,” “tender-hearted” changed to “compassionate,” “girded your loins” changed to “belted your waist,” “coarse jesting” changed to “vulgar joking.” These are changes that amount to making the translation more accessible to a younger generation. As we looked over the changes in the book of Ephesians most seemed like straightforward modernized renditions of antiquated words.

The third component to this update is the use of “Gender Accurate” language. The stated goal here is not “inclusivity” per se, but rather accuracy and faithfulness to the intentions of the Biblical authors. An example is found in Matthew 4:19, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of people.” (bold added) “People” translates the Greek word anthropoi – which means “human beings.” “Men” works in this verse only if it is assumed by the audience that “Men” refers to both men and women.

Romans 5:12 – “Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all mankind, because all sinned.” (bold added). In this case the NASB 2020 uses “mankind” for anthropoi (human beings). Mankind denotes “human beings” in a similar way “people” is used in other passages. Notice the word “man” in Romans 5:12 remains unchanged because it is clearly referring to a male subject.

1 Timothy 2:1 – “First of all, then, I urge that requests, prayers, intercession, and thanksgiving be made in behalf of all people.” (bold added) Again the word “anthropos” is translated as “people” instead of “men” – because “men” can be understood as only males in modern English. Clearly anthropos should be understood as referring generically to all humans – therefore it would seem that “people” is in some sense a more accurate translation.

Here are a few example passages comparing the NASB 2020 to the NASB 1995. Verses start with the NASB 2020. The NASB 1995 follows underneath in [brackets]

Psalm 23
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I will not be in need.
[1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.]
2 He lets me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters.
[2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters.]
3 He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For the sake of His name.
[3 He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake.]
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
[ 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.]
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows.
[5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows.]
6 Certainly goodness and faithfulness will follow me all the days of my life, And my dwelling will be in the house of the LORD forever.
[6 Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.]

#7 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:23 PM

Thanks Bob, since I am not one of the "younger" generation :rolleyes: I will stick with the "old" version.

Thanks again

Have a good Christmas and hope for a better New Year

Silverhair {Dale}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users