Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Search for highlighted text

10 replies to this topic

#1 GWSwordUser

GWSwordUser

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSouth Sioux City, NE, USA

Posted 17 December 2019 - 05:59 AM

Is there a way to search for highlighted text?

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 17 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

Is there a way to search for highlighted text?

If you mean by "Highlighted," selected text, the answer is yes, and see video below how its done. But if you mean text that you have highlighted by a color, then the answer is no.

Trust you find this helpful.

Edited by APsit190, 17 December 2019 - 02:51 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#3 GWSwordUser

GWSwordUser

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 05:06 AM

Text I have highlighted with a color. Thanks for the reply.

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 01:45 PM

Text I have highlighted with a color. Thanks for the reply.

The text you have highlighted by color, if you select that text (or any other text for that matter) can be searched for using the method I've shown in the video. So you shouldn't really have a problem. The only thing that will limit you in your search is to try to search by color. On that, there isn't a search engine that can or will do that in any Bible Study application.

From a Programmer's perspective, to code something like that for a search engine, just to write the algorithm would be a nightmare due to the unknown color combinations that a user will use; especially when it comes to "customized" color variations. Then add to that, not all colors will be uniform, and therefore the search result will not give the user an accurate search result for what he or she may be expecting or desiring.

Just as a matter of interest, why do you want to do a search by color?

Edited by APsit190, 18 December 2019 - 01:47 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 02:41 PM

Hi Stephen,

I suggest taking a look at Logos software for examples of this type of search and much more.

Here is a wiki help page https://wiki.logos.c...ighlighted_text

Jon

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 06:08 PM

Hi Stephen,

I suggest taking a look at Logos software for examples of this type of search and much more.

Here is a wiki help page https://wiki.logos.c...ighlighted_text

Jon

Hi Jon,

Appreciate you pointing that out to me.

That said, the colors it will search for appears to be preset or known colors. But when it comes to customized colors by the user, it doesn't seem to say anything about it, and so (going by impression) Logos wouldn't find those colors. So with that, the color has to be known within that spectrum, i.e., Blue, Red, Green, Gold, Yellow, and etc. But what a user would make as a color and use it to highlight text that would be outside of the known spectrum of any color, my guess is that Logos wouldn't be able to find it even if invented a color and called it Pearl or Mint or something else. But again I could be wrong.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 19 December 2019 - 06:08 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 06:14 PM

The various colors are preset ones or can be created by the user and named, so you can't apply a mystery color....

You could check it out for yourself by getting Logos 8 free (I think it has the feature in basic) https://www.logos.com/basic

#8 GWSwordUser

GWSwordUser

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 07:12 PM

The reason I wanted to search for text I have highlighted is that I changed my mind about Bible Periscope. Now that I turned it off all of my highlights are off by a bit. I was hoping there was a quick way to find the highlights and correct them all in one sitting. As is, I have to fix them as I see them. Also, I use e-Sword on two computers and share the resources which are based in the cloud. I didn't realize at first that I still had Periscope on on one of the computers. So everything I was highlighting on either computer was showing up incorrect on the other.

#9 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:57 AM

You say you have two CPU's one with and one without the periscope.  Look for the "markup.ovlx" file for the one without the periscope. Use this file to replace the markup.ovlx on the other CPU that had the periscope and it will copy all of the highlights over.

As always make a backup of any file you are changing.

Gal 2:20

I’m willing to compromise about many things, but not the Word of God 

There must be conviction before there can be conversion 

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:18 PM

You say you have two CPU's one with and one without the periscope.  Look for the "markup.ovlx" file for the one without the periscope. Use this file to replace the markup.ovlx on the other CPU that had the periscope and it will copy all of the highlights over.

As always make a backup of any file you are changing.

A simple file replacement is the fix. What a way to go!!!

That's the best thing one can seriously do,.

Just as a solution, another thing one can do, is to sync and share the same file across devices using the cloud. Now the beaut thing about that is one doesn't have to use Dropbox, One Drive, etc, but can have his own cloud. There are personal cloud storage devices which one can buy at very reasonable prices. That said, prices to vary from Brand to Brand, and storage capacity. Some are a dad more expensive than others, as where visa versa is also true. Check this link out to see.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users