Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

TWOT - Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament

Old Testament Theology

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#11 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:19 AM

Gen_1:1

ְּ בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית H7225 In the beginning בָּרָ֣א H1254 created אֱלֹהִ֑ים H430 God {HSBe}

From TWOT

278 - bara'

Hebrew Word: bara'

Strong's Cross Reference: H1254

Definition: I, create, make, Creator (Qal);choose, cut down, dispatch, (Piel); be created, be done (Niphal; RSV yet unborn in Psa_102:18 [H 19]; clear ground in Jos_17:15, Jos_17:18; RSV and ASV mark in Eze_21:19 [H 24]).

Derivative TWOT Number: 278a

Derivative Transliteration: beri'a

Derivative Strong's Cross Reference: H1278

Derivative Definition: new thing.

The root bara' has the basic meaning "to create." It differs from yasar "to fashion" in that the latter primarily emphasizes the shaping of an object while bara' emphasizes the initiation of the object.

The question of the meaning of the root bara' is complicated by its connotation in the Piel of "cut down" (Jos_17:15, Jos_17:18; Eze_23:47). This meaning may also obtain in the use of the word in Eze_21:19 [H 24] where it need not connote carving a signpost, but simply the act of cutting down a branch or sapling as a marker). If this meaning attests to the concrete form of the Qal, the word may have meant "to form," "to fashion" in the sense of carving or cutting out. But it is possible that the Piel form may

My copy of the TWOT does not have the Hebrew text in it but when I mouse over the strongs # I get the listing which does have it so not a problem for me.

Gal 2:20

I’m willing to compromise about many things, but not the Word of God 

There must be conviction before there can be conversion 

#12 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:41 PM

"The question of the meaning of the root bara' is complicated by its connotation in the Piel of "cut down" (Jos_17:15, Jos_17:18; Eze_23:47). This meaning may also obtain in the use of the word in Eze_21:19 [H 24] where it need not connote carving a signpost, but simply the act of cutting down a branch or sapling as a marker). If this meaning attests to the concrete form of the Qal, the word may have meant "to form," "to fashion" in the sense of carving or cutting out. But it is possible that the Piel form may"--this is more linguistics than word usage.  This why one need to study occurrences of the word in CONTEXT.

#13 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

"The question of the meaning of the root bara' is complicated by its connotation in the Piel of "cut down" (Jos_17:15, Jos_17:18; Eze_23:47). This meaning may also obtain in the use of the word in Eze_21:19 [H 24] where it need not connote carving a signpost, but simply the act of cutting down a branch or sapling as a marker). If this meaning attests to

I posted this to show that the Hebrew is not in the TWOT, or at-least not the copy I have. I do agree that you have to look at words in context or you my just be putting your own meaning onto the word.  By the by anh Mike this was not a study of the word "created".

#14 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:59 PM

this was not a study of the word "created".--I thot not such an idea but merely pointed out that TWOT is limited.   Let not your hair be in an uproar or we might have to call you baldy instead. :D

#15 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:30 AM

this was not a study of the word "created".--I thot not such an idea but merely pointed out that TWOT is limited.   Let not your hair be in an uproar or we might have to call you baldy instead. :D

What would be a more comprehensive resource?

#16 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:06 AM

what do you want to do?  linguistics (Etymology) or theological studies?   linguistics (Etymology) how the word relates to its environment Hebrew compared to Akkaidian /Ugarit /egyptian/Arabic.  Of course it has some help.

PS.  I am trying to help save people money on resources.  Anyone can buy whatever they want.  No one is stopping anyone.  It all about what you want to do.  I  have been recommended resources to which I wish that now I did not buy--thanks for the patience and understanding.

Edited by anh Mike, 26 August 2019 - 09:42 AM.

#17 Silverhair

Silverhair

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:13 AM

More comprehensive resources may be out there but I would guess it all depends on what your final goal is. For me it is just nice to have that extra info that I find in the TWOT or the TDNT.

By the By never set my hair on fire, all these meds I have for my heart tend to keep me calm. :) :)

#18 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:26 AM

what do you want to do?  linguistics (Etymology) or theological studies?   linguistics (Etymology) how the word relates to its environment Hebrew compared to Akkaidian /Ugarit /egyptian/Arabic.  Of course it has some help.

I was merely asking what would be a more comprehensive resource if TWOT is limited. I think Etymology is interesting. Does TWOT fall short on that area?

#19 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:05 PM

Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament probably has most details, which does not mean its best for one's needs.  You can see for yourself if its still up.

source:  https://books.google...epage&q&f=false

(hint: use firefox nuff said)

also discussion on the reference material you might want to skim thru.
http://www.biblesupp...mike#entry30432

#20 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:44 PM

Thank you for the information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users